2022 explorer 2.3 with 200 miles coolant smell

Brand new lease. Had a 2020. Liked it so much my wife wanted a new one. She remote starts the car this morning and went outside to a massive smell of burnt syrup outside the car and inside. I looked under the hood but couldn't spot a leak. When she got to work she said the smell was bad the whole way. Had to open the window. Anyone have a clue what's going on? Thank God it's a lease but it's still a PITA.

Pat around the floor on the passenger side and see if anything is wet. Anything is possible with the complexity of assembling these machines.

No, they gonna tell him they couldn't replicate the issue and send him on his way. 😔
Been there, done that, man is it irritating.

OP hope they figure it out quick and doesn't result in multiple dealership trips.

It's a Ford

Time to drop off at dealer.

Someone is leaking.

Problem now is the 'dealer work ethic'. So, good luck.

Its a lease. That is what some brands are only good for.... disposable short term ownership. Just be glad that you don't own it.

Been there, done that, man is it irritating.
All dealers are the same. Had this with Hyundai, RAM, and Dodge. They all want to "dodge" any complex or expensive repair. One service advisor told me that they prefer not to do warranty work (this was Hyundai) because they get paid less. I made sure to let the service manager know and then left. I try to do everything at home and don't count on the warranty. If it's a catastrophic failure that's the manufacturer's fault, then I make sure to fight back with everything I got.

Maybe this is just a me thing, but I won't even drive an old junker that smells slightly of coolant much less a brand new vehicle with "a massive smell of burnt syrup outside the car and inside"...

Ford owners are just different I guess.

Maybe this is just a me thing, but I won't even drive an old junker that smells slightly of coolant much less a brand new vehicle with "a massive smell of burnt syrup outside the car and inside"...

The thing is, new vehicles often have all sorts of unusual and strong smells. I typically don't get wrapped around the axle about that until some time has passed. If he is not seeing any evidence of a leak, it's probably just surface contamination.

Replaced a thermostat on my 2000 Explorer (covered under warranty with 0 problems). Other than that I have never had a cooling system issue on my many Fords all driven a decent number of miles. 96 F150, 2000 Explorer, 2004 F150, 2007 Mustang, another 2007 Mustang, 2009 Flex.

Replaced a thermostat on my 2000 Explorer (covered under warranty with 0 problems). Other than that I have never had a cooling system issue on my many Fords all driven a decent number of miles. 96 F150, 2000 Explorer, 2004 F150, 2007 Mustang, another 2007 Mustang, 2009 Flex.
Unfortunately a bad head gasket or a improperly or defective head bolt can happen to any manufacturer. Some people like to make fun of Ford, others of Hyundai, Dodge, etc. Insert your brand here, you get it. It'd be ideal to fix this without an engine swap. However, I'm not sure if I'd buy this lease at the end of the term.

You’re a lucky son of a gun-the’21 Transit 250 in my sig is the FIRST new Ford since 2015 I’ve had that DIDN’T have persistent, recurring, dealer-don’t-care persistent coolant leaks!!

All dealers are the same. Had this with Hyundai, RAM, and Dodge. They all want to "dodge" any complex or expensive repair. One service advisor told me that they prefer not to do warranty work (this was Hyundai) because they get paid less. I made sure to let the service manager know and then left. I try to do everything at home and don't count on the warranty. If it's a catastrophic failure that's the manufacturer's fault, then I make sure to fight back with everything I got.

Depends on how busy they are. Warranty work pays a lot better than no work.

Plenty of chemicals burn off a new car when the engine and exhaust get hot the first time. Keep an eye on fluids for the first while, but I bet it's manufacturing chemicals burning off all the new systems.
We've driven it for about a week before this incident.

Back