2022 Crosstrek Drain Plug Crush Washer Replacement

Rod, that's what I am thinking also. :)
I had so much time wasted by parts people at certain dealerships around here that I do everything I can to buy parts online now. Maybe I'm biased, but the experience is hair loss inducing. 😮‍💨

You traded in your vehicle for a downgrade because it needed an alignment?
It's not a downgrade for my wife, just smaller in the cargo area, but not really affecting passenger space. Plus the wife can get her giant 10 foot kayak onto the roof easier. The 2023 Crosstrek seats are more comfortable, It's more comfortable in the back. I spend time there when visiting my mother in law near Cape Cod travelling about the area with Mom up front - of course with the wife driving. It's her car :)

The new 2021 Outback base, The throttle response was soft, the engine very noisy, the paint poor and quite a muddy ugly grey, interior materials poor, the Info screen and HVAC screen unusable. Still, Car was quiet and rode smooth. Handled well.
But The Japanese built Crosstrek on the new platform is much nicer. Plus she got premium with the fantastic 6 speed stick

If I was logging tons of highway miles I would want the Outback or Legacy - or a old Panther or a Buick LeSabre :)

The 2011 Model year Outback - THAT was a great car - especially in MT guise. The newer ones not so much

I think it is a suspension geometry issue for stability. But could be alignment spec. I am sure Subaru will be coming out with a TSB.
I haven't compared the 2021 specs to the older platform 2011. For my cars I usually align the rear to have less than .03 deg neg camber and minimal toe in. Factory is usually more aggressive with rear toe for overall stability and to promote understeer ... for Grandma and Gramps safety when piloting these things.
- Ken

Last edited:
Okay, fine, here is a little bit more for The Crush Washer Doctorate Thesis: the reason why you want the rounded side towards the the oil pan is so that the washer forms a tight lip around the oil pan drain hole that so slightly protrudes inside (you can measure it in thousands of an inch). That's all that's keeping the oil from leaking out. That's the reason why you should replace it with every oil change.
There is a large flat area at the "bung hole" land for the washer to crush and seal. The washer doesn't have to crush into the chamfer where the bung hole is welded and threaded. That is not how washers work to make the gasketed seal. But anyone will agree that if you look at a spark plug, the radiused " donut" side of the new gasket/washer is oriented towards the cylinder head. I mention this as the washers are similar in design and function. If its a folded multi-layer gaket, you want the "open ends" towards the pressure side to effect a gas seal.

There is a BIG difference though between spark plug and oil pan. The oil sump is not pressurized per se - so in practice if you use a NEW crush washer, you will not have a leak at the drain plug - regardless of orientation.

It doesn't make a difference**

** As I had stated before - as a M.E. designer/engineer with 40+ years. The Flat of the gasket should be typically oriented toward the MOVING flange, which here will be the drain plug bolt flange.

I am only revisiting this subject, as when I came back to this thread this fine saturday morning, I was surprised to see the continued arguing.

Having owned and serviced Nine subaru over 35 years, They usually wont leak but the tightening torque goes up a bit, and the removal torque can become excessive. With the crush, you can tighten the plug until the washer stops crushing. Makes for an easy removal.
My wife's Subaru servicing dealer writer was scolding me, saying the DP was "loose" when we were in there with a new 2021 outback for rear axle noise and an OC. I said it wasn't leaking - so it wasnt "loose". Then I dropped the BOMB telling them last OC was performed at a selling dealer Subaru service center. Got no more snide remarks from the peanut gallery. Don't mess with the NIASE Master !

@Al may recall this being posted by AlleyCat at subaruforester.org over a decade ago.

Subaru engineering and bean counter mistake. small 14MM head with a large plug. China sourced pan and plug, VERY mild steel.
Removal trial with Craftsman 6 point box combo wrench - and a hammer, LOL. Sadly, vice-grips required next.
Dealer refused to replace this garbage bolt under warranty. Schmoes.

View attachment 127837
yep, that pos bolt was on my 20' forester..1st oil change got it off, and changed it with the 17mm aftermarket one...what a difference. i couldn't believe how soft that oem one was...

yep, that pos bolt was on my 20' forester..1st oil change got it off, and changed it with the 17mm aftermarket one...what a difference. i couldn't believe how soft that oem one was...
I don't have lab access to a spectroscope since 2008 or I could have tested it, It was almost like it was made from zinc. Pot metal.

I suppose you could toss into in a beaker of dilute HCL and see how fast it disappears :)

I noticed that the drain plug washer ( gasket ) for the ACCENT has a flat side and the other with rounded edge . I put the flat side towards the pan to meet the flat surface of the pan . This is the O.E.M. crush ( gasket ) washer .

IMG_9676.JPG
IMG_9678.JPG
IMG_9680.JPG

Last edited:
I use Channellock or vise grip to get them off just like the Kia ones. I’m a Subaru tech deal with it all the time. You can use a small screwdriver but every time I’ve tried to do that I end up with the screwdriver almost thru my finger lol. And so we know we are clear on the answer to which way it goes flat side against the plug round side towards the pan. I do recommend switching the washer each time. It’s ok this time around I’m sure but we had someone reuse one and it dripped and customer had it towed back so we had to eat the tow. Also if you hear a pop when you tighten it down generally it means you went too far. Back it off and double check the gasket is still round and not deformed we have had them towed back for that too.

I noticed that the drain plug washer ( gasket ) for the ACCENT has a flat side and the other with rounded edge . I put the flat side towards the pan to meet the flat surface of the pan . This is the O.E.M. crush ( gasket ) washer .

View attachment 128209View attachment 128210View attachment 128211
On ACCENT . You can see a two-tone as if different metals ( see pics above ) . One side is shiny ( rounded edge ) and the other duller ( not rounded , all flat ) , see pics above . Could it be ALUMINUM for the flat side that meets the base of the drain hole when installed for a better seal ?

IMG_8404.JPG

Last edited:
Back