2022 / 2023 GM V8 AFM Question

Had a 2019 DFM 5.3L Silverado come in just out of warranty.....Has had 3 bank 1 lifter sets & 4 bank 2 lifter sets replaced under warranty. #8 misfire with no movement of the intake rocker arm. Severely bent pushrod was found.

Recommended a used K2XX AFM 5.3L engine with a AFM delete using GM Bowtie Lifters/Non-AFM camshaft & a custom tune. Customer declined as it rivaled a new DFM engine install.

DFM will prove FAR more problematic than AFM if it hasn't already. K2XX chassis already had a sporadic history of bending pushrods on AFM cylinders.
Not sure why they had to do DFM after making progress on AFM …

Our 2017 L83 just hit 60k - I put a Range plug in at 52k and started 5W30 at 60k … running great …
The new L84 is downright seamless … I have an extended warranty so might not fool with it …
I've done the same about 2 years ago and couldn't be happier.

GM just can’t seem to make a V8 that doesn’t fall apart inside or drink oil like water. They need to stop with the cylinder deactivation and move on to something else

They should've just used the L96 in all the trucks/suvs. No afm, just pure reliability with a side of RMS leak and broken exhaust manifold bolts.

Back