2021 ZR2 first impressions

Just a follow-up from this thread. We now have just over 1000 miles, and wanted to post some thoughts.

+'s
best suspension EVER - yes, it is still a body on frame, but wow, it is impressive how well this thing rides and handles for a truck. Nope, not even close to the Stelvio it replaced...but for a truck, it is darn good

the stock spray in bed liner is stout! Makes me kind of wish I would have got one on my own truck.

Engine is butter smooth at idle, and really quiet when it should be, but has a tiny growl when "getting on it" which I really like - it is seriously hard to tell it is running at idle

Love the looks - very aggressive

surprisingly quiet for the aggressive tires on the highway

heated seats warm up VERY quickly as compared to any other car I have driven

LOVE the infotainment system, very intuitive and easy to use

I hate to say this...no, seriously, I HATE to say this, but the Bose stereo actually sounds really good - blows away the HK system we had in the Alfa :-(

fuel mileage is MUCH better than I thought it would be...and continues to improve. We are averaging ~18.3 mpg in daily driving, and I got 24.2 mpg on a 120 mile round trip (out and back).

power is very good - she moves out very well!

-'s
interior is pretty cheap looking/feeling...I do understand part of this may be due to the off-road nature, and making it easy to clean which I do appreciate (very plastic)

had to take it back to the dealer already to get an alignment and some greasy fingerprints removed from the roof liner...it drove straight, but the wheel was cocked to the left a bit

had to add mud flaps as we live on gravel, and the wide stance and aggressive tires kicked up a TON of rocks, and we already have some nicks in the paint

side windows are "wavy" - the glass is not perfect by any means

the transmission downshifts too early...it should push the engine a bit harder while on cruise control

odd that there are full HVAC controls as well as full interactive controls in the screen - guessing they are getting us used to using the screen, and will remove the tactile controls in the future

for the price, I am surprised the rear sliding window is not powered...my son loves to open it in the morning on the way to school, and it is a pain to crawl in the back seat and close it when I get back home

Anyways, just a couple quick thoughts at 1000 miles...if you have any specific questions, just let me know!

The 3.6L. I had one previously in the Saturn Outlook and was NOT impressed...so far I am happy I gave it another shot, as it seems to be a good engine for this size truck, and is working well.
Yep, completely different 3.6 engines.
As for my 2015 3.6 - It's great, no complaints.

Great to hear you are digging it. The power sliding window adds more value than it seems oil its face.

I wish my Titan had a powered rear window. I got used that feature real quickly on my Honda.

It amazing to me how much of a difference it makes.

I can get a QUIET cool flow through the cabin without the standing wave problem. Using it really cuts down on the need to run the AC not that its that expensive to run, it isnt, but it dries the air and Im a dry skinned Norwegian as it is.

I was so close to getting a ZR2 a year ago but the unusual small cab and very plain interior that for some reason mimic'd their CARS and not their TRUCKS kept me from purchasing. I love how capable it is though..

I would have pulled the trigger on the ZR2 by now if it weren't for the 8 speed automatic and shudder issue. Still debating it.

I can live with the interior considering this trucks overall performance.

I would have pulled the trigger on the ZR2 by now if it weren't for the 8 speed automatic and shudder issue. Still debating it.

I can live with the interior considering this trucks overall performance.
still no shuddering that I can sense...and I am pretty particular on shift quality (I would rather drive a manual any day of the week). If anything, it is probably a bit aggressive for most consumers...but I totally dig how it snaps into gear.

still no shuddering that I can sense...and I am pretty particular on shift quality (I would rather drive a manual any day of the week). If anything, it is probably a bit aggressive for most consumers...but I totally dig how it snaps into gear.
If a 6 speed standard was an option, would you have got it instead of the 8 speed auto?

If a 6 speed standard was an option, would you have got it instead of the 8 speed auto?

Personally, Yes
But, no...it is my bride's DD, and while she can drive a manual, she wants to drive an auto.

She is an equal (maybe even more) contributor to our finances, and she can drive what she wants.

If I end up getting one I'm going to have them put the new M1 ATF in it right away to prevent it from happening.

The DMAX has the 6 speed automatic.
My daughter test drove one in 2018. Going up a 7% grade I told her to "get this thing moving". I'm already going 140 (kms) was her reply.
When we got back she told the salesman that the Diesel with a standard would be nice. He didn't know what to say.
In short, the child car seats wouldn't fit in the back without moving the front seats up then back again. I think the Taco has a bigger interior.
I didn't care what she got as long as it was in Dark Slate Metallic GMC or Graphite Metallic Chev.
Too bad for me, the only truck they had in that color was a 3500 D-Max CC High Country.

Back