2021 Volkswagen Jetta premature brake wear

I do a lot of commuting miles but just recently started getting a squeal backing out of the garage when it has sat overnight. Used to only do it when it had been in the rain before parking.

I went and tried to look just now and it is hard to see much with the wheels on but it doesn’t look like there is much there to me. Dealer just rotated the tires last week they could have said something. 🤨

So how do I get them to give me new brakes? You have the doc available? If I wait for them to contact me I’ll be past 24 k.
Here is a screenshot of the document. VW confirmed it is legitimate.

Attachments

• 071611BB-CAB8-4FD2-AD2D-405ED25DE812.jpeg
    071611BB-CAB8-4FD2-AD2D-405ED25DE812.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 108
I took the Jetta to our dealer today to have the rear pads replaced under the warranty extension. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes and then they pulled the car out and parked in in "pick up". It sat there for about 20 minutes before I got tired of waiting for someone to notify me that it was ready so I walked over to our service advisor to check out and get the keys. As I was walking up the service manager came in and reviewed the paperwork and noticed our service advisor had ordered both the pads AND rotors to be replaced. He was visibly agitated as the VW only authorizes rotor replacement IF the pads are 100% worn down and you have metal on metal. I just stood there as they had this awkward conversation then eventually she asked if she could let us go with the car, he frustratingly said "yes, we don't want to keep him (me and my son) waiting here any longer".

I'm glad I walked up when I did otherwise they would have hauled the car back to service to swap the old rotors back on, further increasing my wait time and who knows what condition the old rotors would have been in at that point. So anyway, got some new rotors in this process.

They can’t fix anything without a code thrown according to them, even though it was doing the same thing as before. And they said my rears were at 5mm so no warranty replacement either.

Waste of time, customer service has been 💩 since Covid.

They can’t fix anything without a code thrown according to them, even though it was doing the same thing as before. And they said my rears were at 5mm so no warranty replacement either.

Waste of time, customer service has been 💩 since Covid.
That’s a shame. Ours were not at the minimum and they replaced. Maybe because it was so clear they would not last through the warranty extension.

That’s a shame. Ours were not at the minimum and they replaced. Maybe because it was so clear they would not last through the warranty extension.

I'm at 23,300 something on the odometer they only need to make it a few more hundred miles. Since they had the car another week and did nothing with it, some free brakes would have been nice but not to be.

@BMW Dom The thought of a stock 1.4 Jetta S automatic on the track made me chuckle, thanks for that!

I don't think I'll have this car much longer, it is nowhere near as nice as my Passat was (my fault I bought it) but now with a minor electrical gremiln they are having issues fixing (and they don't seem very motivated) I'm disgusted with VW for the first time in a long time.

I'm at 23,300 something on the odometer they only need to make it a few more hundred miles. Since they had the car another week and did nothing with it, some free brakes would have been nice but not to be.

@BMW Dom The thought of a stock 1.4 Jetta S automatic on the track made me chuckle, thanks for that!

I don't think I'll have this car much longer, it is nowhere near as nice as my Passat was (my fault I bought it) but now with a minor electrical gremiln they are having issues fixing (and they don't seem very motivated) I'm disgusted with VW for the first time in a long time.
Sorry to see a fellow Jetta owner go, we have a couple in the family and love them. The Passat was nice though! Especially with the VR6/DSG combo.

Yes, but you need a scan tool to retract the e brake on these to service them. Not something I have.
ugh. Seriously? I swear car manufacturers do not give a $hi+ anymore about keeping maintenance simple and affordable. They're trying to appease dealerships and make money on parts. It's smart. Even independent shops will now have to buy their scanners. After my e350, I will never bother with a German car again.

If you feel comfortable enough changing brakes and using a scan tool, I would just buy the scanner if it's reasonably priced and do brake pads myself.

Also, get brake pads that last a while.

I should have kept it, but with the insane trade I was offered I couldn't resist. Jetta is a nice car no doubt, I'm always very glad to be back in it when I've had to borrow someone else's.

I test drove a Passat Limited Edition a week or so ago. Super nice but that 2.0 just ruins it, why I bought the VR6 the first time.

I should have kept it, but with the insane trade I was offered I couldn't resist. Jetta is a nice car no doubt, I'm always very glad to be back in it when I've had to borrow someone else's.

I test drove a Passat Limited Edition a week or so ago. Super nice but that 2.0 just ruins it, why I bought the VR6 the first time.
Yep. I test drove a new Passat R-line back in 2018 with the 2.0 and wasn’t a fan. It got the job done but sounded unrefined and the power delivery didn’t seem as linear as other VW turbo engines. 1.4 TSI / 8 speed auto is preferred IMO.

I’m right with you, a fan of the 1.4 but that 2.0 they started using in 18 is just blech.

The Passat LE was set up like a budget stealth Audi then you drive it and the stupid 2.0 sounds like it is going to come through the hood just pulling away from a red light.

I got the letter from VW in the mail just today. It is quite timely as I am having some grinding backing out of the garage from the rear right especially if it rained the night before. I only have 2,400 miles but this is a relief to know. I don't know if I should bother having it looked at this early, but I don't want to risk any rotor damage.

Last edited:
I got the letter today too. However at 23k the dealer said they were not worn enough to qualify for replacement. But I’m going to need brakes pretty soon. 😳

They did put a new wiring harness in it and may have fixed the electrical issue anyway. And let me tool around in a new Atlas for a week. 👍

I got the letter from VW in the mail just today. It is quite timely as I am having some grinding backing out of the garage from the rear right especially if it rained the night before. I only have 2,400 miles but this is a relief to know. I don't know if I should bother having it looked at this early, but I don't want to risk any rotor damage.
I doubt you are down to 2mm in 2,400 miles. Besides, if the pad wear results in rotor damage VW will put new rotors on anyway. You could always have it checked out and at least have the noise documented.

I wonder if VW is using the same soft pads as replacement. Have they upgraded the PN or changed suppliers? Or, do they do you the favor or using the same pathetic pads a 2nd time?

The 2019's had many complaints concerning reverse squeakingchirpingsquealing.... when 1st backing up. I wonder if VW fixed the semi-metallic noise on the 2019's by using a more pathetic lesser metallic material.

Back