2021 Volkswagen Jetta premature brake wear

No, the S trim does not have adaptive cruise, but it does have automatic emergency braking.
It is nothing of that nature.
It could be caliper issue. But my money is on quality of pads. VW in the last few years had to cut cost bcs. $40 billion dieselgate cost. Cheap line of vehicles now come with actual cheap stuff. They made sure that there is even less sharing with Audi etc.
Save $5 on rear pads, save on front etc. and you are on the road to pay legal bills.
There are YouTube videos how to release rear calipers without OBD. Get ATE pads if you want aggressive European style brakes. Or go Akebono if you want dustless, soft pedal brakes (it will be still aggressive if you keep front original). They will also be gentle on rotors.

Historically the rear brakes on our subaru and nissan were worn out in 1-1/2 > 2 years this past decade. These manufacturers went to disc brakes out back and use aggressive traction control and ASR to steer the car with brakes they are now toast in short order. The main issue is the rear pads on the Asian vehicle are the size of a Domino. Not fooling.
Pretty much 2.5x undersized, imo.

Do you have a ridge or lip on the rear disc? that may be causing noise. You can take off the wheel and file that off or grind it off in short order. The discs are typically a mild iron.

You can turn traction control off, but on my ford and other makes it seriously blunts throttle response.

Historically the rear brakes on our subaru and nissan were worn out in 1-1/2 > 2 years this past decade. These manufacturers went to disc brakes out back and use aggressive traction control and ASR to steer the car with brakes they are now toast in short order. The main issue is the rear pads on the Asian vehicle are the size of a Domino. Not fooling.
Pretty much 2.5x undersized, imo.

Do you have a ridge or lip on the rear disc? that may be causing noise. You can take off the wheel and file that off or grind it off in short order. The discs are typically a mild iron.

You can turn traction control off, but on my ford and other makes it seriously blunts throttle response.
In order for ESP to obliterate pads it has to work. ESP doesn’t work unless it needs to. If you take Jetta on track, yes, it will obliterate pads. Jetta doesn’t have Ediff. function in the back etc.
Traction control works in front. Again, it needs to run very often to have an effeon pads.

In order for ESP to obliterate pads it has to work. ESP doesn’t work unless it needs to. If you take Jetta on track, yes, it will obliterate pads. Jetta doesn’t have Ediff. function in the back etc.
Traction control works in front. Again, it needs to run very often to have an effeon pads.
Odd. Are you sure?

Many manufacturers apply rear brakes to affect steering trajectory in anti skid.

Having a driven rear axle is not a factor.

Why would a low priced economy car have rear disc brakes if the ESP/ASR wasn't applied there?

excerpt from a Actyon service manual
[ ABS/ESP SYSTEM
ACTYON SM - 2006.03]

ESP Controls During Under Steering
The ESP system recognizes the directional angle with
the steering wheel angle sensor and senses the slipping route that occurs reversely against the vehicle cornering direction during understeering with the yaw rate
sensor and the lateral sensor. Then the ESP system

applies the brake at the rear inner wheel to compensate the yaw moment value. In this way, the vehicle
does not lose its driving direction and the driver can steer
the vehicle as driver intends.

ESP Controls During Oversteering

the steering wheel angle sensor and senses the slipping route that occurs towards the vehicle cornering direction during oversteering with the yaw rate sensor and
the lateral sensor. Then the ESP system applies the
brake at the front outer wheel to compensate the
yaw moment value. In this way, the vehicle does not
lose its driving direction and the driver can steer the
vehicle as he or she intends.

Thoughts?
Simply replace the OEM pads with something better. Rotors too, and use Zimmerman.

I know you confess to being pretty OCD about your cars. Me too. If it were me I'd R&R the front pads and rotors too while you're at it so you have the same pad material both front and rear.

If it were my car I wouldn't even involve VWOA or the dealer.

Scott

Odd. Are you sure?

Many manufacturers apply rear brakes to affect steering trajectory in anti skid.

Having a driven rear axle is not a factor.

Why would a low priced economy car have rear disc brakes if the ESP/ASR wasn't applied there?

excerpt from a Actyon service manual
[ ABS/ESP SYSTEM
ACTYON SM - 2006.03]

ESP Controls During Under Steering
the steering wheel angle sensor and senses the slipping route that occurs reversely against the vehicle cornering direction during understeering with the yaw rate
sensor and the lateral sensor. Then the ESP system

applies the brake at the rear inner wheel to compensate the yaw moment value. In this way, the vehicle
does not lose its driving direction and the driver can steer
the vehicle as driver intends.

ESP Controls During Oversteering
the steering wheel angle sensor and senses the slipping route that occurs towards the vehicle cornering direction during oversteering with the yaw rate sensor and
the lateral sensor. Then the ESP system applies the
brake at the front outer wheel to compensate the
yaw moment value. In this way, the vehicle does not
lose its driving direction and the driver can steer the
vehicle as he or she intends.
Yes, that is ESP function. Does driver skid all the time? On track ESP is turned off bcs. it does precisely what you described and eats pads, does not allow slip etc. I highly doubt he skids from corner to corner on his way to job. ESP does not NEED to be applied in regular driving unless system recognizes an directional issue.
Rear rotors are used for various reasons, long before ESP was introduced by Mercedes. It is simpler to maintain. It allows equal distribution of brake force. It has better braking properties and cooling properties. Rear rotors were not introduced bcs. ESP. There are vehicles with last generation ESP and braking shoes, VW ID4 being one of them.

How is dust in front?
You can move to ceramic compound in the back like Akebono. Keep front as they are to keep pedal feel as it is.
If you want aggressive pad go ATE. Jurid, if available for your car, dust less than ATE and is still aggressive.
Virtually nonexistent on the front. I’ve used Akebono before on my old 2006 Accord and liked them. Something I’ll have to look into to see if they are available for the Jetta.

Simply replace the OEM pads with something better. Rotors too, and use Zimmerman.

I know you confess to being pretty OCD about your cars. Me too. If it were me I'd R&R the front pads and rotors too while you're at it so you have the same pad material both front and rear.

If it were my car I wouldn't even involve VWOA or the dealer.

Scott
We will see. I have to find out what tools I’ll need to purchase and see if I want to go that route.

Virtually nonexistent on the front. I’ve used Akebono before on my old 2006 Accord and liked them. Something I’ll have to look into to see if they are available for the Jetta.
They are, but get ready for a softer pedal and generally hit on performance.
The difference in dust makes me think something mechanically is going on. Generally front should dust more, and the compound should be the same.

If wear issue is rear only, just do the rear pads. Get some Raybestos EHT's or Wagner Thermoquiets for a pad slap, as long as rotors look good, and they should with a soft quiet pad. Rotors should have plenty of meat still for turning if you care to.

EBC also has a bunch of colored pads... green, red, yellow, blue and ultimax.... Akeboner has the euro pads too. Powerstop, Hawk, Stoptech, DynamicFriction have various options.

A good brake bleed all around is needed.

Many scan tools can retract the brakes. Might need that double square "XZN' socket. I will have to look the next time I rotate the tires. My 2019 Jetta S is at 30k miles and on stock pads. Many in 2019 complained about squeaky pads. So, later years might have a quieter pad that doesn't last as long. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Dust and noise doesn't bother me. I need brakes that stop well.

Rear pads reference FMSI 1761.... numerous brands have that pad. EBC I think uses '2153' in their rear compatible pad PN's and Hawk, I believe, is "789"

Yes, that is ESP function. Does driver skid all the time? On track ESP is turned off bcs. it does precisely what you described and eats pads, does not allow slip etc. I highly doubt he skids from corner to corner on his way to job. ESP does not NEED to be applied in regular driving unless system recognizes an directional issue.
Rear rotors are used for various reasons, long before ESP was introduced by Mercedes. It is simpler to maintain. It allows equal distribution of brake force. It has better braking properties and cooling properties. Rear rotors were not introduced bcs. ESP. There are vehicles with last generation ESP and braking shoes, VW ID4 being one of them.
Uh, my Escape has ESC and it has drums. And I’ve driven it hard enough on windy roads to get the brakes stinky hot and ESC is doing its thing at every turn so I know it works LOL.

If wear issue is rear only, just do the rear pads. Get some Raybestos EHT's or Wagner Thermoquiets for a pad slap, as long as rotors look good, and they should with a soft quiet pad. Rotors should have plenty of meat still for turning if you care to.

EBC also has a bunch of colored pads... green, red, yellow, blue and ultimax.... Akeboner has the euro pads too. Powerstop, Hawk, Stoptech, DynamicFriction have various options.

Many scan tools can retract the brakes. Might need that double square "XZN' socket. I will have to look the next time I rotate the tires. My 2019 Jetta S is at 30k miles and on stock pads. Many in 2019 complained about squeaky pads. So, later years might have a quieter pad that doesn't last as long. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Dust and noise doesn't bother me. I need brakes that stop well.

Rear pads reference FMSI 1761.... numerous brands have that pad. EBC I think uses '2153' in their rear compatible pad PN's and Hawk, I believe, is "789"
He needs something OEM like ATE. They are, anyway much better than those you mentioned. Akebono is OK quality-wise, but there is a drop in performance for sure.
EBC Yellowstuff and especially blu are dual track/street pads and not very good when cold. ATE is better performing pad than EBC Red or Ultimax.

No, the S trim does not have adaptive cruise, but it does have automatic emergency braking.
unless you have been activating the AEB constantly/are a terrible driver lol then no dice.

I guess just a bad case of VW cutting costs by installing starter parts that are designed to wear out faster/require more service $$$$

Are you sure VW doesn't have an alternative, non-scan tool ebrake retraction method? I know most Toyota products its a combination sequence that puts it into service mode.

Back