2021 Toyota rav4 hybrid

Greetings, my wife and I just bought a new RAV4 Hybrid and got the 50,000 service plan with it. The service plan covers oil changes every 10,000 miles but they said if I want it done every 5000, which they recommend, they will do the labor for free and I just need to purchase the oil. Walked over to parts and asked them what the Toyota 0W16 cost per Qt and they didn't even have it in stock. Turns out service dept uses bulk Phillips 66 oil. Not a mainstream oil around here but its what a popular distributor around here carries. Not much info out there about it but I think it will be fine. Man this thing just sips the gas.

Honda uses Phillips 66 as their OEM oil and it is also repackaged and sold as Red Line's "Professional Series" OEM standard oil. It is a perfectly serviceable product. I have a friend who went over 10,000 on his OCI using this stuff in a Honda HRV and the vehicle's MM was only down to 15%.

Greetings, my wife and I just bought a new RAV4 Hybrid and got the 50,000 service plan with it. The service plan covers oil changes every 10,000 miles but they said if I want it done every 5000, which they recommend, they will do the labor for free and I just need to purchase the oil. Walked over to parts and asked them what the Toyota 0W16 cost per Qt and they didn't even have it in stock. Turns out service dept uses bulk Phillips 66 oil. Not a mainstream oil around here but its what a popular distributor around here carries. Not much info out there about it but I think it will be fine. Man this thing just sips the gas.
Toyota recommends (at least used to) rotation and inspection every 5k but oil every 10k/1yr. Changing every 5k might be smart if you're in a cold climate, do mostly city, etc. If not, I'd guess 7500-10000 would be fine (or whatever the manual says). As everyone will say, a UOA will be the only way to know for sure.

Congrats on the new vehicle!

Honda uses Phillips 66 as their OEM oil and it is also repackaged and sold as Red Line's "Professional Series" OEM standard oil. It is a perfectly serviceable product. I have a friend who went over 10,000 on his OCI using this stuff in a Honda HRV and the vehicle's MM was only down to 15%.
The MM probably doesn't know what oil is in it. It just looks at temp, rpm, and vehicle data to guess based on algorithms. You could put used oil from your lawn mower in, reset the maintenance minder, drive all highway, and it would think you had the appropriate oil in.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain the MM isn't sampling the oil more than its temp at most.

Ive got a 2020 RaV4h. The oil doesn't even get dark until after 7,500 miles in my experience. I think 7,500 is the sweet spot but thats obviously up for debate. I live in Phoenix and use the vehicle to tow dirt bikes on the weekends = Lots of long steady climbs and high heat. The manual states that there may be a better oil option if you're driving lots of highway miles at "high" speed. I run 0w-20 in mine and dont sweat it one bit. Honestly, this engine is so under stressed im sure theres no engine life consequences with 0w-16.

Toyota knows what they're doing with hybrid technology.

Enjoy! - I love my XSE

Not as quickly as 0W16. If it did, then Toyota would be speccing it for the hybrid wouldn't they?
Assuming a positive displacement pump not on the relief, they'll move at the same speed.

The 0w-16 is spec'd because it yields better fuel economy and with a hybrid and the engine not always operating, the lower starting viscosity is better in that regard.

No reason why I would but I see Zero change in fuel Economy going from 0w-16 to 0w-20 in my Rav4h

Assuming a positive displacement pump not on the relief, they'll move at the same speed.

The 0w-16 is spec'd because it yields better fuel economy and with a hybrid and the engine not always operating, the lower starting viscosity is better in that regard.
The A25A uses a variable discharge oil pump AND non-hybrid A25A engines also use 0w16 oil as well, as in the 2.5L 4-banger in the RAV4 and Camry.

The A25A uses a variable discharge oil pump AND non-hybrid A25A engines also use 0w16 oil as well, as in the 2.5L 4-banger in the RAV4 and Camry.
Yes, Toyota is going to 0w-16 across the board, I'm just pointing out why it's suitable for hybrids in particular, because the engine may not get up to temp.

This article goes into the details on the pump, looks like the ECM commands different levels of volume, and pressure, but the pump itself is a positive displacement pump still:

Yes, Toyota is going to 0w-16 across the board, I'm just pointing out why it's suitable for hybrids in particular, because the engine may not get up to temp.

This article goes into the details on the pump, looks like the ECM commands different levels of volume, and pressure, but the pump itself is a positive displacement pump still:
Well that's terrible I guess I've voided the warranty on my 2004 Corolla!

If it was my RAV4, I would be bringing them the M1 or Toyota 0W-16 ... and watch them crack the bottles open when they pour in the oil.
I have no trust they are using the correct 0W-16 oil out of a bulk barrel.
As for prepaid the every 10k changes, not quite sure what to say there.

I buy my Toy 0W-16 in quarts (Liters in Canada) at the local Toy store, it is reasonably priced and VOAs show it to be an excellent oil.
5 Liters the 1st visit to parts and 4 on the next visit . The RAV4 takes 4.5 Liters per oil change.
I use an OE Toy filter.
What's your dealer charge per liter

On the Venza I bought today I think 3 to 4K for the first change out. Then I am fine with the Mileage Monitor. gizmo if there even is one.

Back