2021 Tiguan 2.0T, FF, First OC 10,188mi VW 508 0w20

Here are the numbers MB229.71 has to meet as compared to VW508.00. Lubrizol doesn't have more than the HT/HS requirements for BMW LL 17FE
(incidentally, MB229.71 can be had at your local WMart in EDGE EP (Gold Bottle).

1639077234561.png

1639079542361.png

1639079721873.png

Last edited:
What is the purpose of Vanadium?

No purpose. Lab says 'wear metal' which I think is true.

As @UG_Passat stated, per all the literature I've read, its the compound that gives VW508.00 it's green color.

Are you sure? It's just 2 ppm. That would hardly cause any visible coloring.

This is supposed to be a M1 ESP x2 VOA (VW 508 00) and it does say 0 ppm V:

post-2-0-83901200-1520925325.jpg

No purpose. Lab says 'wear metal' which I think is true.

Are you sure? It's just 2 ppm. That would hardly cause any visible coloring.

This is supposed to be a M1 ESP x2 VOA (VW 508 00) and it does say 0 ppm V:

post-2-0-83901200-1520925325.jpg
I can't be completely sure but i'll try to dig up where i read it. You're right though, that seems like very little, but it is the only oil i've ever seen it in (for whatever that's worth).

EDIT: It appears that everything i read is assumption and guesswork. My apologies.

Last edited:
I can't be completely sure but i'll try to dig up where i read it. You're right though, that seems like very little, but it is the only oil i've ever seen it in (for whatever that's worth).

EDIT: It appears that everything i read is assumption and guesswork. My apologies.
I wouldn't say that, as a transition metal vanadium has several salts that can be used as dyes. It seems reasonable.

Yes, but 2 ppm is still very very little (too little I think). Vanadium is also used in some steel (tools).
I too was wondering for some time what exactly the 'VW 508 00 dye' is. I just know they use to put some Zirconium in as a tracer, but that probably has nothing to do with the dye. Or does it?

Yes, but 2 ppm is still very very little (too little I think). Vanadium is also used in some steel (tools).
I too was wondering for some time what exactly the 'VW 508 00 dye' is. I just know they use to put some Zirconium in as a tracer, but that probably has nothing to do with the dye. Or does it?
Hmm I thought it was vanadium?

This thread talks about zirconium as a marker.

Why would the Lab mention “flagged data may be from an overhaul” on a 10k analysis from a 10k mile 2021 engine??? 🤨😒🤦🏻‍♂️ Seems like such a silly comment to make… unless it’s mostly just copy / paste wording they always use.

Looks good for a 10k run on the factory fill. I would have dumped it at 1,000 miles if not sooner. Haha.

I'm pretty sure it's Zirconium. Unfortunately most OAs don't list Zr. Will post it if I can find a source.
Thanks for finding those posts on the market being Zirconium. I got both elements confused. Your "likes" refreshed my memory. 👍

Great looking report for a FF at 10k. Looks like the 508 is agreeing with the engine.
I plan to sample in or around 5k miles since that will be well after winter and a long drive we have planned. Just to see if it's the same.

I agree it does look good, I don't ever remember seeing a "bad" VW 508 UOA, nor do I ever recall seeing an approved VW 508 oil that contained moly.
M1 esp x2 0w20 508/509 approved and about 75ppm
And 300 ppm boron

Back