2021 Tiguan 2.0T, FF, First OC 10,188mi VW 508 0w20

You say perfectly maintained but replacing coils every 30k seems incredibly excessive. You have no evidence that the "Carbon" you see in the bucket is causing damage, or if it is in fact carbon at all- your assertion that the filters will not capture carbon particles as far as I can tell has no evidence either. It's great for you to pour unlimited money into preventative maintenance, but that's no reason to make a snide comment about "you must not want to keep it very long" indicating that he is poorly maintaining his vehicle and doesn't care about it.
Snide comment on saying going 10,180 miles on first oil change is too long ? I stand by that comment .
VW I know for fact are carbon making machines . As are most gdi engines with only one injector. I have no evidence that carbon produces wear ? You tell me what it does then ? It's like sandpaper on your guides. So any other questions ?

Snide comment on saying going 10,180 miles on first oil change is too long ? I stand by that comment .
VW I know for fact are carbon making machines . As are most gdi engines with only one injector. I have no evidence that carbon produces wear ? You tell me what it does then ? It's like sandpaper on your guides. So any other questions ?
Surely then the wear numbers on the UOA would reflect that hm? Which they don't. DI isn't new anymore, it's not an unknown anymore. It's been out for over a decade and while there were some issues on early engines, you do not, contrary to the doomsayers, see car engines exploding left and right because of carbon in the oil. Most people aren't going to do an early oil change the first time, and yet those engines are still out there running fine by and large. Lets face facts, obsessing over motor oil is fun but practically speaking isn't generally gonna affect engine life. Yeah VW had timing chain issues, but that was mostly because of a faulty tensioner design and a chain that stretched. Notice since the revision in around 2012 there hasn't been widespread failures.

I wasn't talking about early tsi engine failures . Do you have facts backing that up that 10k is fine on a gdi ? You talk to a lot of VW techs ?
I wasn't doom and gloom on DI , never said it .

I wasn't talking about early tsi engine failures . Do you have facts backing that up that 10k is fine on a gdi ? You talk to a lot of VW techs ?
Talking to techs/mechanics isn't always the best idea, not because they don't know what they're doing, but because they only see broken stuff. If you go over to vwvortex and other VW forums you don't see constant posts about engine failures, at least not any more than any other automaker. You are the one making the assertion that the carbon created by VW engines causes engine damage/failures. The burden of proof is on you, not me to disprove it.

VW has sold exactly how many GDI engines in North America since 2006? They have all had a 10k service interval.

In Europe they have sold a heck of a lot more and service interval is double as long as here. They aren't exactly blowing up all over the place.

VW has sold exactly how many GDI engines in North America since 2006? They have all had a 10k service interval.

In Europe they have sold a heck of a lot more and service interval is double as long as here. They aren't exactly blowing up all over the place.
Talking to techs/mechanics isn't always the best idea, not because they don't know what they're doing, but because they only see broken stuff. If you go over to vwvortex and other VW forums you don't see constant posts about engine failures, at least not any more than any other automaker. You are the one making the assertion that the carbon created by VW engines causes engine damage/failures. The burden of proof is on you, not me to disprove it.
Lol , Whatever you do what you like , I like all my engines to run nice and smooth .
In Europe they have sold a heck of a lot more and service interval is double as long as here. They aren't exactly blowing up all over the place.Geesh you guys like to dream things up . Who said anything about engines blowing up ?

So what point are you trying to make?

You mentioned carbon in the oil and something about sandpapering valve guides. Are you referring to the carbon in the oil doing that, or the carbon on the valves?

So what point are you trying to make?

You mentioned carbon in the oil and something about sandpapering valve guides. Are you referring to the carbon in the oil doing that, or the carbon on the valves?
Yeah I'm also struggling to understand what the point is then, since you are saying its too long yet also saying you aren't saying engines are blowing up. I'm legitimately confused what the point is. And I still don't understand how replacing ignition coils every 30k miles when they are working fine is anything but a waste of money and time.

Yeah I'm also struggling to understand what the point is then, since you are saying its too long yet also saying you aren't saying engines are blowing up. I'm legitimately confused what the point is. And I still don't understand how replacing ignition coils every 30k miles when they are working fine is anything but a waste of money and time.
Just because my engine isn't blowing up doesn't mean it's running at ideal performance .
If people choose to do 10k oil changes to save money and the planet that's fine for them .
I choose to waste money keeping my equipment running at well as it should .
Wait till you hear the money I wasted having all the fluids changed at 1900 miles on my new f250 ,,,,the shame I felt .
I'm growing tired of talking to you .

You've never changed the oil on a TDI I assume then. It's black the instant you start it again. If the carbon(soot) is in suspension there is no damage it can do. I drive the hell out of the Tiguan, lots of higher RPM when I'm driving. The carbon buildup IMO was always grandmaing it around town.

You've never changed the oil on a TDI I assume then. It's black the instant you start it again. If the carbon(soot) is in suspension there is no damage it can do. I drive the hell out of the Tiguan, lots of higher RPM when I'm driving. The carbon buildup IMO was always grandmaing it around town.
Ok

Just because my engine isn't blowing up doesn't mean it's running at ideal performance .
If people choose to do 10k oil changes to save money and the planet that's fine for them .
I choose to waste money keeping my equipment running at well as it should .
Wait till you hear the money I wasted having all the fluids changed at 1900 miles on my new f250 ,,,,the shame I felt .
I'm growing tired of talking to you .
You started the conversation by asserting some level higher understanding with regards to why 10k oil change is such a horrible idea. There is no quantifiable evidence to suggest you changing all your fluids at 1900 miles on that F250 is better. There is however tons of people that didn't and had 0 issues over the life of the vehicle.

You started the conversation by asserting some level higher understanding with regards to why 10k oil change is such a horrible idea. There is no quantifiable evidence to suggest you changing all your fluids at 1900 miles on that F250 is better. There is however tons of people that didn't and had 0 issues over the life of the vehicle.
Ok , please don't remind me I'm trying to get over the shame

Back