2021 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport SE - Rental Review

1) I forgot to ask; is this the Outlander which is mostly a Nissan Rogue?

2) I wouldn't compare mileages between these 2 middling cars Nick1994 as both samples were done at super-highway speeds or crawling up and down mountains. The OP did say the 35 mph Purgatory was shared by many (he wasn't obstructing traffic).

3) There's always been recognized differences between a small engine revving its guts out vs a vehicle with enough power.
Wrong vehicle
Outlander is like a Rogue- not the Outlander Sport

To me this is all that matters from a guy who has a new one and has owned 2 others
My new one has a daily avg of 30 MPG mixed driving that includes drive-ins. ( LE model)
I'm on no budget but I love these as runabouts. They just work.

BMB.PNG

1) I forgot to ask; is this the Outlander which is mostly a Nissan Rogue?

2) I wouldn't compare mileages between these 2 middling cars Nick1994 as both samples were done at super-highway speeds or crawling up and down mountains. The OP did say the 35 mph Purgatory was shared by many (he wasn't obstructing traffic).

3) There's always been recognized differences between a small engine revving its guts out vs a vehicle with enough power.
It's this offering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_RVR#Third_generation_(GA/XA/XB/XC/XD;_2010)

surely a lot less than a Rav IV!!! toyotas are usually better than most but you surely pay for it + they are not bulletproof as many think!!

It started, stopped and turned. The A/C worked, everything else did MOST of the time.

It wasn't exceptional, but it did do it's job.

Cannot tell you what it would be like to sit in the back seat as it was used to hold stuff/trash until the next stop.
Yeah, I mean, it's an econobox, what else can ya do, yanno?

To me this is all that matters from a guy who has a new one and has owned 2 others
My new one has a daily avg of 30 MPG mixed driving that includes drive-ins. ( LE model)
I'm on no budget but I love these as runabouts. They just work.
From your experience, do any of the minuses in OP's post apply to your Outlander as well?

Dang they're still using the same dash from 2008 with just color upgrades to the dash and multi-media system. They're boring and basic but easy to work on and usually pretty reliable. I miss the times when they actually upgraded/fixed known issues.

When new my FXT (w/ CVT) emitted a smell like burnt ATF for the first 10k miles or something like that, depending on how hard it was run. It went away completely after the break-I’m period. My guess is it was some sort of conformal coating burning off.

Oh, and no appreciable oil consumption over the 3366 miles. so whatever oil Avis was using in this seems to have held up in the scorching heat and severe driving conditions of this trip.

i want to read posts from a Hertz in-house mechanic...if such a thing exists.

Pre-covid, all the Carfaxes of the stuff for sale at the local Hertz car sales dealership had at best one Carfax-documented oil change per ~20,000 miles. always wondered what the story was.

i want to read posts from a Hertz in-house mechanic...if such a thing exists.

Pre-covid, all the Carfaxes of the stuff for sale at the local Hertz car sales dealership had at best one Carfax-documented oil change per ~20,000 miles. always wondered what the story was.

That's pretty typical of any ex-rental I've seen. Of the 3 ex-rentals I've purchased over the past 5 years, none of them had more than one oil change shown on the carfax. All were a year old. Mileage at time of purchase was 32K, 24K and 15K. Could they have more oil changes done on them? Possible, but I doubt it because why would they not 'advertise' that.

Yeah, I mean, it's an econobox, what else can ya do, yanno?
It's hard to think of something that starts at $26k as an econobox. The SE AWD, which is what we had, starts at just over $26k before destination charges as an econobox.

In 2019, we ended up getting our CR-V for $29k base price, down from $32k window at the dealer. wew
Sounds like we did something similar. Taxes, tags and license were over $2k on the car, so it was like getting a similar deal when you subtract the $2k plus from the $30k OTD

This does NOT compete with the RAV 4; Toyota doesnt not have a vehicle in this class.
I would say the Rogue Sport or Chevy Trailblazer sport would be the competion.

Thinking of test driving one this weekend. I hate my wife's new Outback. I don't thnk the engine is destined to last given ther racket it is making and the seats are incredibly uncomfortable. Even Magnetec and a Fram Ultra didnt quiet it.
Wish me luck trying to get her to trade it. She is averaging 34 MPG with it though!

This does NOT compete with the RAV 4; Toyota doesnt not have a vehicle in this class.

Thinking of test driving one this weekend. I hate my wife's new Outback. I don't thnk the engine is destined to last given ther racket it is making and the seats are incredibly uncomfortable. Even Magnetec and a Fram Ultra didnt quiet it.
Wish me luck trying to get her to trade it. She is averaging 34 MPG with it though!
20210626_194945_HDR.jpg

The Toyota CH-R is pretty much the competitor for the Outback Sport (they are virtually the same size), other than the fact that the CH-R doesn't offer AWD. The Toyota Corolla Cross will directly compete when it comes out later this year.

Back