2021 Mazda 3 2.5 Temperature Gauge Reading

Take a look at the temperature gauge on my sons 2021 Mazda 3 2.5 (non turbo). This was after a 25 minute drive into town with the outside temp around 40 degrees.
The air from the heater was coming out hot/normal for full heat. My son tells me when the outside temperature is warmer the temp gauge will make it to the middle position. Car performs flawlessly. Anyone out there with a similar model that can tell me if I should have this looked at or is this normal for Mazda's? Thanks.View attachment 92630
Go to dealer.....this is not normal.

That engine doesnt have a thermostat per say. It has an electronically controlled coolant control valve. Under normal conditions the control valve controls coolant flow through 3 different cooling loops to control how fast the engine warms up and then regulates engine temperature. There is a mechanical fail safe thermostat in the control valve housing that only opens in the event of a significant overheat or control valve failure. Mazda has had some issues with those control valves and there is an updated part.
Thanks. Very informative post. You sound like you know your Mazda's. Electronically controlled. I did do some research on that part and it does appear the part number has been superseded a few times. Like you stated probably an improved part. The service manager even stated that this somewhat common. He also said if the engine was not getting warm/hot enough it would eventually throw a code.

Here is a Mazda TSB for non Turbo Skyactive 2.5. This may be very well related to my issue. Listing 1.3 hours labor to replace part number PYFD-15-16Z so probably not to invasive. Seems to be a lot of out of stocks online.

MAZDA TSB 01-011/21

s-l400.jpg

Here is a Mazda TSB for non Turbo Skyactive 2.5. This may be very well related to my issue. Listing 1.3 hours labor to replace part number PYFD-15-16Z so probably not to invasive. Seems to be a lot of out of stocks online.

MAZDA TSB 01-011/21

s-l400.jpg
Is this a new part to the 2018 and ups? I have a 2017.5 so the tsb doesn’t apply. Wouldnt have thought they’d have different “thermostats” from my era to the 2018+

Mazda 3 is fixed as of today. I had to call Mazda corp because the dealer was dragging their feet on the parts. Had the edacity to tell me it could be NEXT YEAR before the part was available. Totally unacceptable. Sometimes calling corp gets results, sometimes not. This time however, it worked.

Back