2021 Kia K5 GT oil filter recommendations

Just bought a 2021 Kia K5 GT. 2.5L turbo making 290hp. On prior vehicles I ran fram ultras out around 7500-10k miles. This one requires 3k changes under severe service... and since I'm enjoying the 290hp...

Basically, should I go with the orange can fram and save myself some money, or is it worth shelling out for a fram ultra every 3k?

EDIT

Fram doesn't offer a filter for this engine. Just finished up a live chat. So now I need filter recommendations. TIA

Last edited:
If it was me, for now I would run an OEM Kia filter to 6000 miles. Give this vehicle and engine some time on the market to let the aftermarket catch up.

What are the oil recommendations in the manual for this vehicle?
Full syn 0w-30. If it's oil other than full syn use the severe maintenance schedule.

I'm changing at 3k because I fall into severe service category. That's the OM recommendation. 6k is for grandma.

Full syn 0w-30. If it's oil other than full syn use the severe maintenance schedule.

I'm changing at 3k because I fall into severe service category. That's the OM recommendation. 6k is for grandma.
I have nothing against you changing the oil at 3k, I like short intervals myself. That said, running the car hard (if driving on public roads can even be considered that) doesn't create more contaminates for the filter to catch. It just heats up the oil. Therefore, replacing your filter at 3k is not necessary in my opinion, even if you insist on changing the oil at that mileage.

Another thing to consider is a full syn 0w30 offers no advantages over a full syn 5w30 in your climate. A 5w30 will be much more readily available. Just food for thought.

If it's the spin-on they use for most of their cars, Walmart carries the OE Hyundai/Kia filter, which is the Mann W811/80

If it's the cartridge filter, Ecogard has a nice writeup about it. The OE in this case is the Mahle OX1121D

I have nothing against you changing the oil at 3k, I like short intervals myself. That said, running the car hard (if driving on public roads can even be considered that) doesn't create more contaminates for the filter to catch. It just heats up the oil. Therefore, replacing your filter at 3k is not necessary in my opinion, even if you insist on changing the oil at that mileage.

Another thing to consider is a full syn 0w30 offers no advantages over a full syn 5w30 in your climate. A 5w30 will be much more readily available. Just food for thought.
I'll be running M1 HM 10w-30. I've got a thread going over in the oil forum that explains why.

I think the short intervals are more about fuel dilution rather than additive depletion or contamination.

All that said, I can't find an aftermarket filter... so I'm thinking OEM for a bit.

OEM is just fine for the interval you are doing.
I have found OEM filters for my Santa Fe relatively cheap on e-bay for a pack of 4 (regular price is ~$14, e-bay is ~$8 each).

Hyundai/Kia has had a standard OCI of 7,500 miles for regular and 3,750 miles for severe service for a long time.
Wonder why they changed it to 6,000/3,000 on this vehicle?

I have found OEM filters for my Santa Fe relatively cheap on e-bay for a pack of 4 (regular price is ~$14, e-bay is ~$8 each).

Hyundai/Kia has had a standard OCI of 7,500 miles for regular and 3,750 miles for severe service for a long time.
very high power density and it's set up to run on 87 which almost certainly means very rich mixtures to control detonation. That gives you fuel dilution, and the only real way to fix dilution is to stop it happening in the first place, or change the oil.

My .25 (bloody inflation)

It's 7500/3750 on N/A engines, the TGDI engines have been 6000/3000 for a long while I think.

Does anyone here have a 2.5L smartstream turbo or non and can tell me where the filter is located? I'm still going round in circles trying to determine which filter this engine actually uses!

Does anyone here have a 2.5L smartstream turbo or non and can tell me where the filter is located? I'm still going round in circles trying to determine which filter this engine actually uses!
its probably under some sort of panel that screws off underneath the engine. As for the oil filter part, its probably dealer only at this point.

Most KIA owner fall into the severe servie maitenence schedule. OE filter are made by Mann and are good especially at the 3K change interval.

Most KIA owner fall into the severe servie maitenence schedule. OE filter are made by Mann and are good especially at the 3K change interval.
Yeah I have that part, I just can't find any decent oil change info on the net. Car and engine are too new I guess. I took a look under the hood yesterday and I couldn't see a spin-on filter anywhere. I'll need to put her on ramps and take a look underneath. I'm sure there is an access door. I just need to determine if it is cartridge or canister.

So it uses a 'spin on' type filter? Only size/application 'spin on' I've ever seen Hyun/Kia use is 9688(fram) application and equivalents other brands.

I was wondering if it used a cartridge filter. H/K had kept their cartridge applications on engine top. A good thing imo.

So it uses a 'spin on' type filter? Only size/application 'spin on' I've ever seen Hyun/Kia use is 9688(fram) application and equivalents other brands.

I was wondering if it used a cartridge filter. H/K had kept their cartridge applications on engine top. A good thing imo.
They have started putting the cartridges (and several different part numbers) under the vehicle. Kind of defeats one of the nice things about a cartridge filter IMO.
What is weird is my Santa Fe has the 3.3 Lambda with a cartridge on top, the same engine in a 2019 Sorento or Sedona, but those have the cartridge filter on the underside.

Doesn’t the owners manual show this? I suspect it’s hidden by the underbody splash shield

Back