2021 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid - 4,600 miles HPL No VII 5w20

It’ll still run to 100-200k…..even with this fuel dilution before giving out. And manufacturers know this. Unfortunately we expect more.

Either horrible driving habits that no oil should have to go through or the janitor is doing the analysis at BS. If this vehicle is partly ran off some hybrid system then this isn't a move in the right direction,but more a complete disaster. I'd be in a hurry to trade that off or up to a 10w60 and change oil every week.

This has always been my concern about short tripped hybrids even more than ICE vehicles. A lot of this does come down to programming of how the engine operates but at a certain level of short trips there's nothing to circumvent it unless the engine just never fires during the trip.

It's not for everyone but my wife almost exclusively short trips. I bought her an EV the last time around because of it. We had some serious fuel dilution issues with her Ford Edge before that. That was not a hybrid so I had a feeling that was our best case scenario.

Is it a plug in hybrid where it can be put in EV only mode? I would definitely recommend using it this way when possible and charging at home even if it's only on 120V. Hybrids are awesome for efficiency, but I'm not sure it's doing any favors to itself for long term care if it's not getting to temp when fired up. It would be even cheaper to operate and still have the engine for longer trips when needed.

It’ll still run to 100-200k…..
It won't last that long because of the rod bearings giving out. I've seen a few examples where one or more connecting rods made an early exit. Ironically they were all Hyundai Sonata Hybrids, and the owners really pushed the OCIs on cheap bulk oil.

Was more curious than anything. On this car, I can't see how many miles were driven as electric vs the gas engine. Lots of short trips in town though. The air filter was brand new, Hyundai OEM. Oil filter is a Fram Ultra.

HPL 5w20 No VII oil and Fram Ultra oil filter going in this weekend. View attachment 214820
This exactly why I stick to 4K M oil change. I've seen a lot of people with higher fuel Dil. In town or towing/heavy loads in pickups. I ran a popular brand of premium oil in my Toyota 4 cyl. to 8K Miles but I also towed my bass boat a few times. Working that small engine up mountains left the oil with 9% dil. and that was after using a premium filter and changing it at 4500. miles. I have used WM brand (Warren) premium for $20 jug for years with no issues.

This exactly why I stick to 4K M oil change. I've seen a lot of people with higher fuel Dil. In town or towing/heavy loads in pickups. I ran a popular brand of premium oil in my Toyota 4 cyl. to 8K Miles but I also towed my bass boat a few times. Working that small engine up mountains left the oil with 9% dil. and that was after using a premium filter and changing it at 4500. miles. I have used WM brand (Warren) premium for $20 jug for years with no issues.
Sometimes that's the best option. Really blows to think that we've gotten vehicles so efficient that we're going through just as much if not more oil because we're using the engine too little, though just enough to get fuel in the oil and not burn it off. I would have really thought towing would have gotten enough heat in the motor to get rid of some of that, but direct injection and a lot of fuel probably doesn't have much issue getting past pistons at times especially if it's seeing a lot of short trips too.

Was more curious than anything. On this car, I can't see how many miles were driven as electric vs the gas engine. Lots of short trips in town though. The air filter was brand new, Hyundai OEM. Oil filter is a Fram Ultra.

HPL 5w20 No VII oil and Fram Ultra oil filter going in this weekend. View attachment 214820
Gotta shorten the oci.

Just to add this another 1.6 Hybrid from BS just got posted.
1000006524.jpg

Hybrids are used for taxis in large cities . Many go for 200,000+ miles . Not sure what the intervals ,oils or filters that were used . :unsure:

Back