2021 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid - 4,600 miles HPL No VII 5w20

Was more curious than anything. On this car, I can't see how many miles were driven as electric vs the gas engine. Lots of short trips in town though. The air filter was brand new, Hyundai OEM. Oil filter is a Fram Ultra.

HPL 5w20 No VII oil and Fram Ultra oil filter going in this weekend.
BS Ioniq.jpg

My Mazda will load up the oil if short tripped in winter.
Op was the engine at operating temp when you took the sample?
Yessir. I took it out for a 20-25 min ride on the highway. Some of the annoyance that I have with this car is just out of random, it will change from electric to gas at a stop light and 30 seconds later, the gas engine shuts right back off. Even with a moderately charged electric motor.

Fuel is the enemy of all brands and no specific brand is immune to that. The Viscosity is low due to the fuel dilution. Check stored codes on the OBD II & if there's any that might point to any issues. Get some cheap 5w-30 HM oil & don't run it past this duration for further UOA testing. If it remains high then stick with the higher viscosity oil. (My $0.03)

Last edited:
Why I had been running 10W30 low vm oil in my Ford D.I. I guess I should have continued. Thing already makes a lot of doom racket when the oil gets thinned. I discussed with the Service writer about using a 10W30 at my last OC, but he said they will only use 5W20. This was my first dealer oil change as I usually change it myself.

After only 300 miles I just had to top off with a 1/2 qt; I used Motorcraft 10W30.

That Hyundia has got to get to the dealer for you to show them the UOA and discuss the path forward. Make an appointment and sit with the Service Manager, don't bother with a service writer. This engine may be doomed unless action is immediately taken.

O.P: I am sort of in the same boat, I will just let mine go I guess until it starts knocking at idle of if it keeps up eating a quart in 500 miles or less. I am still under warranty miles wise but knocking on the door of 5 years.

- Arco

Last edited:
The OP is lucky he's running HPL. The low-rent brands wouldn't hold up to this kind of abuse for sure.

With that said, I'd do two things:

1) Ask Blackstone to re-run the sample.
2) Take in the vehicle for diagnostics, you might have one or more bad injectors.

NO luck here, even this moly laden HPL didn't quell sloughing off with an engine likely running in the boundary regime with too much fuel dilution. May have bore polishing or worse.

Small GDI engine.
LOL BITOG.
The viscosity dropped slightly below threshold.
12 PPM Fe.
Corresponding Al.
But wait...Blackstone guessed on the fuel dilution with that...gasp...flashpoint.
This poster will--not--panic.
Thank you OP for this very interesting UOA.
as I almost bought one of those Ioniq's.
So far as to carefully measure cargo area and door, hatch openings.
You might go OW30 HPL and a little longer OCI
with your driving conditions.
JMO.

This report is a QC disaster on the Blackstone end.
We see these results often in hybrid short trippers. That does includes these wear numbers by the way.

I save the drama for several successive UOAs, again with a slightly thicker oils and a slightly longer OCI.

This is a Hyundai engine after all, and my goal would be to seek maximum fuel efficiency, with reasonable consideration for durability.

I thought long and hard when considering Hyundai Ioniq and which prospective oil I would use. It would always involve carefully scrutinized successive UOAs and not with this lab, as fuel dilution is in play up front.

It is also, in my case, a daily courier condition not grocery getter or short commute conditions. This is respectfully submitted as someone with nearly half a million miles of personal experience driving small engine hybrids.

Back