2021 Ford F150 Oil Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
khompSS.jpg

LGQr24u.jpg

Interesting to see that Ford now recommends 5W-30 for the 5.0. We have three late model 5.0 vehicles in our family and we all run the recommended 5W-20 in them. I wonder if the new cylinder deactivation is the reason?
I’m guessing Ford realized W-20 was too thin.
Maybe but I don't think there are widespread problems with the 5.0 that would be caused by engine oil viscosity.

Maybe trying to deal with the oil consumption issues that plagued some early 5.0 Gen III Coyotes.

Maybe trying to deal with the oil consumption issues that plagued some early 5.0 Gen III Coyotes.
I don't know. The Gen III came out in 2018 and I don't know if they have suggested to use 5W-30 in those earlier engines or not. Did the 2021 engines still have oil burning problems? I thought that they had fixed that for the 2020 model year.

I don't know. The Gen III came out in 2018 and I don't know if they have suggested to use 5W-30 in those earlier engines or not. Did the 2021 engines still have oil burning problems? I thought that they had fixed that for the 2020 model year.

To my knowledge they never backspec'ed 5W-30 in the 2018 model, of which I owned one since new until last week. (Mine never had the consumption issue.) I am also not sure they ever determined a cause for it, or at least made it known to the public. Yeah, they put in a dipstick that didn't read low until two quarts down and reprogrammed for some type of lower backpressure deceleration operation (or something), but "correct" the problem ... do not know.

To my knowledge they never backspec'ed 5W-30 in the 2018 model, of which I owned one since new until last week. (Mine never had the consumption issue.) I am also not sure they ever determined a cause for it, or at least made it known to the public. Yeah, they put in a dipstick that didn't read low until two quarts down and reprogrammed for some type of lower backpressure deceleration operation (or something), but "correct" the problem ... do not know.
My 2019 5.0 specs 8 or 9 qts of 5w20. I don't think the problem is with the oil viscosity. Mine used a lot of oil from new. At one point it used almost 4 qts in 5000 miles. The dealer put a bore scope down the spark plug holes and found oil after sitting all night. The oil was leaking into some of the cylinders from the heads. Ford wanted them to replace the heads, but no heads were available for almost 2 months, so they replaced the engine with a new long block at 15K miles. I have about 10K on the new engine and it doesn't appear to use any measurable amount using the dealer supplied Motorcraft 5w20.

I had a 2012 before this truck that was great and never used more than a 1/2qt in 5K miles.

I had a 2016 f150 5.0 (work truck) , it never burned a drop of PP 5w-20. My buddy's 2019 mustang 5.0 will burn a quart of motorcraft every 2,000 miles and it holds 10 quarts of oil. The dealer says because it's "high performance engine". I don't believe it.

I had a 2016 f150 5.0 (work truck) , it never burned a drop of PP 5w-20. My buddy's 2019 mustang 5.0 will burn a quart of motorcraft every 2,000 miles and it holds 10 quarts of oil. The dealer says because it's "high performance engine". I don't believe it.
They changed the engine quite a bit in 2018. Different material in the block, port and direct injection, higher compression, etc.

Any oil from the majors with the proper spec will be pretty much the same.

They changed the engine quite a bit in 2018. Different material in the block, port and direct injection, higher compression, etc.
AFAIK, it was Ford’s first foray into plasma arc sprayed liners outside of the GT500. Many engines use pressed in steel cylinders or steel liners, there were attempts to use aluminum bores with Nikasil or Alusil in the past.

The below is what I used last week.
I have a 2021 F150 screw 302a 5.0
The 5.0 specification is SP GF-6.
The below bottle is a little confusing shows SN-Plus in the donut. But SP above.
I used a COS-10575 champion filter.
Cost for oil and filter was about $12.50.

7B726A24-D8A2-43D5-B767-7B6F51FF7480.jpeg

Here's a link with tons of pics for you all enjoyment. It's a guy with a 2021 5.0 and dead cylinder. They've got one of the heads off and the other still on. There must be 50 pictures with it torn down. You can see the cylinder deactivation oil passages and the belt-drive for the oil pump.
I wonder how Ford is doing DoD - it looks like they’re taking a page out of Honda’s playbook and using the lifters as the mechanisms. Looks like Ford did add extra lube channels to prevent the sludging Honda V6s with VCM are known for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back