2021 Ford F150 Oil Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Just purchased a 2021 Ford F150 SuperCrew with the 5.0. Owners manual states 5w30 for the oil. After the first two free Ford oil changes (which I assume will be with Motorcraft Semi-synthetic 5w30), I will be using my own choice of oil.

Vehicle will be driven 3 days a week, 108 miles round trip on each of the 3 days, all hwy.

Please let me have your suggestions on which FULL-SYNTHETIC you think would do the 5.0 well. Thanks!

The 5.0 is not particularly hard on oil. I use Mobil 1 7k and Fram Ultra for 7k and feel like I need a shower for taking it out at 7k :ROFLMAO: I know I could go longer but just can't seem to do it. I've also used Super Tech for 5k runs. I've been happy with the 5.0.

Use whichever oil meets your recommended viscosity and manufacturer approval until it's out of powertrain warranty, then I would say you'd be free to move to a higher viscosity, if desired.

As per your owners manual for your 2021 F150 w/ 5.0 in a moderate climate, look for an 5w-30 oil that meets WSS-M2C961-A1

I have noticed that varieties of Mobil 1, Castrol, and Valvoline have updated to cover this cert specifically. Quaker State and Pennzoil have not updated to this newest cert yet.

Blackstone Labs have noted that there is no discernable difference in wear patterns when appropriately rated oils are used. It is far more important to use a quality air filter and oil filter.

A 2021 that calls for 5w-30? Never in my wildest hallucinations would I have believed that. The GM V8's have called for 0w20 for at least five years now. Maybe longer. Interesting.

Interesting to see that Ford now recommends 5W-30 for the 5.0. We have three late model 5.0 vehicles in our family and we all run the recommended 5W-20 in them. I wonder if the new cylinder deactivation is the reason?

Depends on how its used. I wouldn't be afraid to use a thicker grade even when new if you were towing constantly but a 30 grade will be perfectly fine if you just commute. Use whatever cheapest full syn rated stuff. if it were my truck I'd throw an 8qt jug of supertech 15w-40 in it like I'm gonna do next time with my trucks.

I have around 12 quarts of 0w-20 left and then the rest is 0w-30 and 5w30. All Mobil brand. The 0w-20 VW 508, the Xw-30 VW 507.
Been using a 50/50 mix of the 20w and 30w and will do so until the 0w-20 is used up. From that point I'll just go with 0w/5w-30.

Congrats on the new F-150 with the V8! Nice to know Ford is still offering that motor. Seems all you hear about is the V6 Eco Boost engine.
Any quality 5w-30 full synthetic will work fine. Seems like when I see Motorcraft it's the semi synthetic stuff.

Bet that truck would sound nice with a Flowmaster muffler upgrade. :giggle:

Last edited:
Hello!

Just purchased a 2021 Ford F150 SuperCrew with the 5.0. Owners manual states 5w30 for the oil. After the first two free Ford oil changes (which I assume will be with Motorcraft Semi-synthetic 5w30), I will be using my own choice of oil.

Vehicle will be driven 3 days a week, 108 miles round trip on each of the 3 days, all hwy.

Please let me have your suggestions on which FULL-SYNTHETIC you think would do the 5.0 well. Thanks!

Does the 2021 - 5.0 have cylinder deactivation?

Does the 2021 - 5.0 have cylinder deactivation?
Hi, first post here and a question I can actually respond to in a semi-intelligent way. I also have a 2021 F-150 with the 5.0 "Coyote" engine.
Yes, it does have cylinder deactivation. It's oil pressure activated, and Ford apparently switched to a belt-driven oil pump to feed it. There's no indication when it activates, except that the fuel mileage meter shoots up to 30+ sometimes off throttle. Some folks who "have an exhaust" claim they can hear it activate. Others don't believe them. There are several related threads on F150 forum and F150Gen14 forum.
Also, it's a terrific engine!

Alright, I have narrowed my choices down to Valvoline Advanced Protection 5w30 or Castrol Magnatec 5w30. I like the looks of both from the various VOA and UOA that I have found, but the high moly count in the current Valvoline really stands out.

Favorite pic between the two?

Alright, I have narrowed my choices down to Valvoline Advanced Protection 5w30 or Castrol Magnatec 5w30. I like the looks of both from the various VOA and UOA that I have found, but the high moly count in the current Valvoline really stands out.

Favorite pic between the two?
Valvoline will serve you well

As tasch72 said, there are not a lot of oils yet with Ford's new WSS-M2C961-A1 certification. I personally have an irrational desire to use Pennzoil Platinum which is SP/Ilsac6 and would be fine for warranty. I understand Magnatec is being rebranded, maybe there will be clearance sales. Soon there may be more options too . . . in a beautiful yellow bottle lol ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back