2021 Can-Am Ryker 900 First Oil Change: Debris in Oil Filter Housing

I took delivery of the bike (new) in May last year. Performed the first scheduled one year/6,000mi oil change last week (after 53 weeks/1,780mi). A "break in" change is not recommended by the manufacturer. Upon draining and removing the old filter and inspecting the inside of the filter housing, I discovered several small pieces of dark grey rubber/silicone-like material (Permatex?) in the bottom. I have attached a photo. The old o-ring is partially visible in the photo (for scale). I can confirm without doubt that the material is NOT part of the old o-ring nor part of the seal on the bottom of the old filter. The bike runs great. No smoke or leaks. Not the slightest (visible) hint of moisture in the oil. How concerned should I be? What would you do? What would Bob do? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2084.JPG
    IMG_2084.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 58
Keep everything for record and contact can am. Knowing how expensive those are and the cost of repair leave nothing to chance.

Keep everything for record and contact can am. Knowing how expensive those are and the cost of repair leave nothing to chance.

Agree 100% with the contact, and keep records...

I buy and sell odd and rare cars and bikes, and I couldn't believe how inexpensive the new (have not checked in ~12 months) Rykers were. I have no desire to own one, but for the money, they seemed like a good deal.

If that were my bike, I would not be terrible concerned. Those don't look like wear particles. They look more like paint flakes or machining debris. Whatever it is...not convinced it is from a poor break in or wear particles.

I've sent BRP an email, along with two local dealerships (including the dealer I bought from). I've only heard back the dealer I did not buy from, and he seemed quite certain that this is something they have seen before, is likely part of the case gasket forming material, is not uncommon, and in the absence of other problems is nothing to worry about.

I took delivery of the bike (new) in May last year. Performed the first scheduled one year/6,000mi oil change last week (after 53 weeks/1,780mi). A "break in" change is not recommended by the manufacturer. Upon draining and removing the old filter and inspecting the inside of the filter housing, I discovered several small pieces of dark grey rubber/silicone-like material (Permatex?) in the bottom. I have attached a photo. The old o-ring is partially visible in the photo (for scale). I can confirm without doubt that the material is NOT part of the old o-ring nor part of the seal on the bottom of the old filter. The bike runs great. No smoke or leaks. Not the slightest (visible) hint of moisture in the oil. How concerned should I be? What would you do? What would Bob do? Thanks.
That is from the paper case halves gasket...it is made in Canada, expectations can't be that high.

If its' rubber/silicone like material then it's probably just some sealer that came loose and was caught by the oil filter (the filter's main job). Did you see anything in the drained out oil too? If not, I personally wouldn't worry about it. A rubber/silicone material going through the oil pump isn't going to do any damage either.

As long as the unknown contaminate stays in the bottom of the oil pan or captured in the filter it poses no reason for alarm... its when it gets chewed up between the gears that it might restrict an oil pasage...

Back