2021 1.5t Accord Sport review (2000 mile rental)

Well, they did continue to churn out the VCM V6 that was plagued with issues for years so... 🤷‍♂️

On the 1.5L:

Based on the OP's observations, it seems like they still don't really have the problem resolved.

Yes, the 2017/18 versions had some issues that were addressed. And the Chinese government, which is surely not an Honda or Japan fanboy, allowed sales to resume.

Recognizing that all TGDI engines have pluses and minuses, the 1.5T may have its share. But there are a couple million of these on US highways (to say nothing of the rest of the world), and sales continue to be, supply chain allowing, abundant. No hue and cry from owners, CR gives high marks for reliability, etc.

BITOGers have different standards than the general public and what may be a grave issue to us is not even on the radar for 99+% of the population. And life goes on. I may buy one myself.

The 305HP Chevy Impala V6 is worlds better in just about every way. Too bad it's been discontinued. Same highway MPG, half the noise level. No nanny stuff.
I rented a 2020 for a trip to Florida in March and I really liked the car on the highway. 35-36 mpg at the speed limit made it that much more enjoyable.

Yes, the 2017/18 versions had some issues that were addressed. And the Chinese government, which is surely not an Honda or Japan fanboy, allowed sales to resume.

Recognizing that all TGDI engines have pluses and minuses, the 1.5T may have its share. But there are a couple million of these on US highways (to say nothing of the rest of the world), and sales continue to be, supply chain allowing, abundant. No hue and cry from owners, CR gives high marks for reliability, etc.

BITOGers have different standards than the general public and what may be a grave issue to us is not even on the radar for 99+% of the population. And life goes on. I may buy one myself.

Honda didn't fundamentally alter the engine after the '17/'18 recall, they did some programming changes, the first round of which the Chinese government rejected as being wholly insufficient in addressing the problem.

The problem being: The engine doesn't produce enough heat and, coupled with direct injection, results in significant dilution of the oil with fuel. Some of this can be addressed with fuel map changes of course, but the proper solution would be a hybrid injection scheme that leverages port injection for cold and low speed operation to ward off the problem like Toyota does, and now so does Ford.

This was claimed to be a cold weather issue, but the Consumer Reports article indicated that it was also experienced in warmer climates.

Yes, fuel dilution seems to be a problem for many marques producing DI mills. But other seem to have much less in the way of problems with it (see: BMW, Ford, Toyota...etc).

Maybe you should give your phone number so I can give it to all the CR-V owners that come into Honda dealerships I worked with and went off on tirades about these known issues. Perhaps instead of the service advisors and service managers having to take verbal beatings you can tell the customers that it's no big deal, sunshine and rainbows.

People do love this vehicle, I sold countless CR-Vs when I was selling cars, and I am sure that there are huge amounts of people that drive them for long periods of time and rack up many miles, totally oblivious to anything problematic. But upon anything going wrong, again I would be happy to refer them to you.

Maybe you should give your phone number so I can give it to all the CR-V owners that come into Honda dealerships I worked with and went off on tirades about these known issues. Perhaps instead of the service advisors and service managers having to take verbal beatings you can tell the customers that it's no big deal, sunshine and rainbows.

People do love this vehicle, I sold countless CR-Vs when I was selling cars, and I am sure that there are huge amounts of people that drive them for long periods of time and rack up many miles, totally oblivious to anything problematic. But upon anything going wrong, again I would be happy to refer them to you.

Instead of that, introduce them to BITOG and have them tell their tales of woe. It would be enlightening and shine light on the dark side of Honda.

And just to be clear: It’s sunshine, rainbows AND unicorns.

Last edited:
I thought the current Accord only comes with either the 1.5T, 2.0T or Hybrid...
I stand corrected get the 2.0 liter turbo over the 1.5T. Toyota learned back with the 2010 Prius that the larger 1.8 liter motor would give the car a substantial increase in fuel mileage over the 1.5 liters the Gen Two's were equipped with.

The new Accord is a nice lookin car, too bad to hear about the issues. The Honda Sense in my 21 Pilot works great, or maybe I'm just used to it? Never had another system to compare it to though. I don't use it during congested traffic, I understand it's not a Tesla. It's possible the programming might be different between vehicles. Big difference between sport mode, regular and eco acceleration wise, but I think that just has to do with accelerator pedal response and cylinder deactivation on highway.

I like the 1.5t in the civic 6mt. Yes, we have observed increased oil levels, especially in its first 20,000 miles. It’s settled down some since then. And, we also simply change it before the olm, between 5k and 7.5k miles, and use 5-30 instead of 5-20. My son drives it hard and lets it rev. It hasn’t missed a beat and gets excellent mileage. Pretty easy mitigation.

the ford ecoboosts are also prone to fuel dilution. Mine has done similar with mildly increasing oil levels. I find it interesting the 1.5T gets blasted publicly while they may not be that different, and especially with fords history for timing guide wear, a compromised oil would be effectively bad. I do the same with the truck, change it early and it gets 10-30 instead of 5-30. Chain noise is markedly reduced at 7500 when I change it.

Regarding the accord, they can do a lot with CVT and throttle mapping - covering the entire driveline characteristic of the vehicle in software. I’m surprised it has somewhat of a Jekyll and Hyde mixed bag on suburban vs highway strengths - Honda is an engine builder who makes cars to put them in. They are programming it to a spec someone chose.

I really wish they would sort out their NVH - probably the main reason I don’t choose honda for me personally, having had several before. They seem to be getting louder. Our CRV is pre-turbo, but I’d gladly accept a newer 1.5T in it. The drivetrain in ours, with the CVT, is excellent at what it does, for appliance and utilitarian driving. It’s not my cup of tea, but respectable. It too, however, is a raucous ear-ringing experience over 55mph.

Based on the OP's observations, it seems like they still don't really have the problem resolved.
I too was surprised that high speed highway resulted in rising oil levels. However as mentioned above, that may settle down after 20,000 miles. The car was pretty new with 10k miles.

Also, I’m old so I do not have time to waste. I go fast.

Serious question, since it was a rental, are the nannies unable to be turned off? We have them all off (& they stay off upon restarting the car) on my gf's '19 1.5Turbobium Civic. Adaptive cruise is adjustable, but I agree slow to re-accelerate. Lane Keep Assist, doesn't bother us as we use turn signals. It does sometimes pick up where the lane used to be, but it's not that big of an issue as I'm watching the road & not the dash. We're also not tailgaters so the emergency braking doesn't disrupt our drive.

I'll say the CVT takes some time to get used to, but it works well. Gf has had her car since new & now has just under 22k mi. Lots of short trips as her work is only a few miles away. She drives a few miles to drop off her daughter at school. After being a member here, I deliberately check the oil to see if there's any changes. The oil level never moves up the dipstick as many others have mentioned. Solid car

That Accord with 1.5l I would not mind owning one when comes down to its reliability; if there is any problem, its all clear signs by now I'd say

I prefer the feel of the Camrys I have driven over any Honda sedan. I owned an 88 Camry with the 4cyl , stick it wasn't anything special but it was good to drive around.

I recently rented a 2021 Accord Sport ... INFURIATING car. Bad choice for this task. ...
Your review reminds me of everything that is wrong about modern cars. Automation is killing the joy of driving. Even high performance cars have automatic transmissions and electronic traction and throttle control. Plus they're much too heavy so even if they hold the road well, the steering feels dead and they have no agility. No thanks!

I thought I was the only person who felt this way but apparently I'm not. https://techcrunch.com/2022/01/29/please-make-a-dumb-car/

Your review reminds me of everything that is wrong about modern cars. Automation is killing the joy of driving. Even high performance cars have automatic transmissions and electronic traction and throttle control. Plus they're much too heavy so even if they hold the road well, the steering feels dead and they have no agility. No thanks!

I thought I was the only person who felt this way but apparently I'm not. https://techcrunch.com/2022/01/29/please-make-a-dumb-car/
With the cost of new cars raising so quickly the manufactures may have to revert to how they sold cars in the fifties and sixties. Start with a base stripped vehicle and you add on the options and accessories that you want.

Even the base stripped vehicles have a bunch of electronics & automation that I don't want. They're considered "safety features" like automatic braking, steering, throttle & traction control, etc.

Back