2020 Subaru Forester Base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait until July when the DEEEEEEEEP discounts start rolling out. There is ZERO market for new cars right now.

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
. Subaru is currently offering ZERO % financing through April 30, 2020 on select models which the Forester is one of them. Makes the math very easy since I'm not trading in a vehicle, but laying down 1/2 down to keep my payments low (retiring soon).deal......

DONT never ever! put money down when someone is offering you a FREE money loan.

You can leave the DP invested and just peel the payments off of that.

"Low Payments" is a false economy goal.

I usually give the dealer 300 bucks down at the most.

Now curious how much did they give you off the sticker?

Around here its about 3 grand.

Originally Posted by atikovi
So I'm going to sit a week or two and see if they contact me and offer to come down any more.

Might be sold in a week or two, as so many here often post about.

Not worried since they have over 70 Foresters in stock and more on the way.

Then time is your friend.
For the first time in more than a decade, there will likely be a surplus of Foresters on offer, so the retail pricing can only decline.
Incidentally, Forester over Crosstrek is a good pick as is Premium Package over base.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
. Subaru is currently offering ZERO % financing through April 30, 2020 on select models which the Forester is one of them. Makes the math very easy since I'm not trading in a vehicle, but laying down 1/2 down to keep my payments low (retiring soon).deal......

DONT never ever! put money down when someone is offering you a FREE money loan.

You can leave the DP invested and just peel the payments off of that.

"Low Payments" is a false economy goal.

I usually give the dealer 300 bucks down at the most.

Now curious how much did they give you off the sticker?

Around here its about 3 grand.

$2981 off MSRP. Good point on leaving DP as working capital......

I obviously prefer the cx5, but between the two you listed, would pick the forester. Downside is the sluggish performance and cvt. Upside is their awd is pretty good and they are reasonably reliable.

Be weary of oil consumption on Subarus. They lost a lawsuit a few years ago. I've read on some Subaru forums that some people are seeing oil consumption in the newer models since the suit.

Our 2L doesn't use a drop.

The last FB25 has used a bit

I worry more about the super long timing chains and VVT now.

Grass isn't always greener.

Sister in Law's newish Kia Sportage blew the motor. She waited She 2 months for a replacement

Most all OHC Engines were better with a dry timing system.

Only place for a chain is a cam in block OHV v8.

Last edited:
Our 2L doesn't use a drop.

The last FB25 has used a bit

I worry more about the super long timing chains and VVT now.

Grass isn't always greener.

Sister in Law's newish Kia Sportage blew the motor. She waited She 2 months for a replacement

Most all OHC Engines were better with a dry timing system.

Only place for a chain is a cam in block OHV v8.

Disagree. My Nissan's SR20DE did fine to 150K miles when I sold it, and beyond, per the new owner. My 2015 CX5 was fine at 106K miles when I traded it. I refuse to buy a non-chain timing "belt" vehicle.

Originally Posted by Ws6

..... Only place for a chain is a cam in block OHV v8.

Disagree. My Nissan's SR20DE did fine to 150K miles when I sold it, and beyond, per the new owner. My 2015 CX5 was fine at 106K miles when I traded it. I refuse to buy a non-chain timing "belt" vehicle.

Please send some of that good luck MY way!

BTW, do you tend to run super high efficiency filters?

Me, I don't mind well-designed timing belts, preferably on a non-interference engine (and contingent on easy access designs). Usually the "sprockets" don't need changing at belt change time. Re timing chains + GDI engines: frequent oil changes eliminate soot which is hard on chains...

Last edited:
To me, it's not so much the T-belt vs chain thing. It's the stupid complex timing chain covers that are going to leak at some point. Especially on today's Subaru engines that are held together by that orange or grey RTV looking stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
To me, it's not so much the T-belt vs chain thing. It's the stupid complex timing chain covers that are going to leak at some point. Especially on today's Subaru engines that are held together by that orange or grey RTV looking stuff.

Ugh... Should not be RTV'd down.

Originally Posted by Ws6

..... Only place for a chain is a cam in block OHV v8.

Please send some of that good luck MY way!

BTW, do you tend to run super high efficiency filters?

On my SR20DE, I ran whatever. I honestly don't recall. I think I picked WIX when it was available, and "whatever oil". Air filter was K&N panel filter/OEM box.
On my 2.5 SkyActiv, I ran OEM filters, and synthetic oil, pretty decent. The OEM filters were dealership, Thailand made, I think. Nothing special. They were not the Japanese ones.
On my VQ37, I used Mobil 1 and Cosworth panel filters, and WIX oil filters. I only kept it 34K miles though.
On my SkyActiv 2.5 Turbo, I use AEM dryflow filter and OEM Japanese oil filters and Mobil 1 5-30EP. 35,6XX miles, no issues.

My dad has owned probably close to a dozen Ford 4.6L vehicles (P71's), and never once had an issue with the timing chain. Most were retired at around 200-250K miles due to oil consumption + catastrophic failure of a major component (head gasket, or another transmission went out and the engine was already gulping oil, so retired the car, etc.). Never once a timing chain problem though that I can recall growing up. He did say on the old 5.0's, it would jump a tooth now and then after 150-200K.

My father always did oil changes at around 3K miles. I do them at 5K mile intervals. Neither of us ever sent of for a UOA, as engines tend to last longer than transmissions and vehicles in general, in our collective experiences.

Timing belts, on the other hand...I never owned one, but a friend who worked at a FCA dealership always had a hefty stack of heads with mangled valves from their PT cruisers and other cars with belts...

Originally Posted by NO2
They have 0% financing for 63 months. No reason not to take it. Are they giving you a price well under invoice?

Picking up the new Forester Premium today. Went with maxed out options Premium model with all the bells & whistles. They came down $3162. Tried a little more of course and ended up with a free 3 year remote car start option using cell phone. Now to locate a 2020 Forester Service Manual so I can start my own maintenance......

Originally Posted by NO2
They have 0% financing for 63 months. No reason not to take it. Are they giving you a price well under invoice?

Picking up the new Forester Premium today. Went with maxed out options Premium model with all the bells & whistles. They came down $3162. Tried a little more of course and ended up with a free 3 year remote car start option using cell phone. Now to locate a 2020 Forester Service Manual so I can start my own maintenance......

Congrats!

Originally Posted by NO2

Excellent choice. It will serve you well. My 2009 Forester did for 11 years before I traded it on the F150 in June. Ford dealer sold it in less than 10 days.

Originally Posted by NO2

Nice! Sounds like a fair deal for a Subaru. When I bought my 2016 Forester base model new, the sticker price was around $23K. Best I could get them down was around $800 IIRC. Pretty typical for the Buffalo NY area where Subarus are super popular. If you buy one with a ~$30K sticker, they'd probably come down ~$3K. Financially, It doesn't make a lot of sense to go bare bones on a new Subaru product. You did good IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back