2020 Subaru Impreza

I did at about 60K miles but to be honest, the fluid looked brand new and likely had plenty of life left. My sister’s Outback with a CVT is running fine at roughly 180K miles with the factory fluid and she is not easy on cars.

What other maintenance( and at what mileage )have you done in addition to CVT fluid change at 60k?

I've done spark plugs, brakes, pcv valve(60k), differential fluid, coolant, swapped out brake and power steering fluid last week at 79k. I've been changing oil every 6 to 7k and air and cabin filters every other oil change. Mechanic says to do serpentine belt soon. Is there anything else that you recommend? My goal is to get 150k miles without a major repair.
I'm gonna roll the dice on the CVT fluid and believe their "lifetime" claim.

What other maintenance( and at what mileage )have you done in addition to CVT fluid change at 60k?

I've done spark plugs, brakes, pcv valve(60k), differential fluid, coolant, swapped out brake and power steering fluid last week at 79k. I've been changing oil every 6 to 7k and air and cabin filters every other oil change. Mechanic says to do serpentine belt soon. Is there anything else that you recommend? My goal is to get 150k miles without a major repair.
I'm gonna roll the dice on the CVT fluid and believe their "lifetime" claim.
I did everything according to the manual except the serpentine belt, differential fluid, and CVT fluid. I went 90K on my original serpentine belt which is actually what I believe caused the idler pulley to go. Make sure you change your tensioner (roughly $45 at Rockauto) at the same time as the belt and you will be fine.

I’ve done brake fluid flushes at home every 2 years regardless of mileage and while I’m in there, I clean up the calipers and regrease the slide-pins. Preventative maintenance seems to be working as the car is still on all of its original pads, rotors, and calipers at 140K.

The differential fluid was very dark by the 5K mark and so I switched Royal Purple which turned opaque silver by the 25K mark; ended up with AMSOIL severegear fluid which looked new at the 100K mark with 75K on the fluid. The car currently has AMSOIL in the diffs and I’m not planning on changing it until the 200K mark.

AC started struggling a bit at about 100K so I topped it up with some refrigerant with stop leak (I know, sacrilege, but it worked!) from Walmart and it’s now it’s blowing ice cold and holding pressure 40K/5 years later without concern.

I hadn’t done the PCV valve until 130K when it started guzzling oil at 1qt/1000miles and changing the valve stopped the oil consumption completely.

As for oil change intervals, the FB20 is super easy on oil and I did several UOAs on M1EP and AMSOIL Signature. Both showed very little wear metals and plenty of TBN left after 10-13K miles. Given that yours has direct injection, I wouldn’t push the OCIs without some UOAs but seeing how cheap oil
Is nowadays, it just makes sense to stick shorter intervals.

I never rotate the tires yet they always wear very evenly and I always manage to exceed the advertised warranty on whatever tires I run. My last set had to be replaced because of a chunks out of the sidewalls of two of the tires (Pirelli P7 A/S+, with 75K miles on them, still had 5/32” all around). Now I am running Continental PureContact LS which seem to beat the Pirelli in every way so far, especially in the rain and smoothness/quietness of the ride; too early to judge wear.

Test drive the Crosstrek. Same basic vehicle. I have a '19 Crosstrek. Granted I am a subaru fan buoy but its a good choice for the little lady.
Better ground clearance also.

Check this out!!!! If your wife says she got stuck in her crosstrek..suspect infidelity. You can take this car where no other vehicle in its class or higher would dare to go!! Will go up a steep rocky hill with 2 wheels off the groung.

Why are the engines so underpowered? I hope it's not some strategy to make people want to buy STi models.
I think that Sub makes the 4cyl 7 Auto Tranny behave slowly to give longevity to the powertrain. My OB never really accelerated, but gathered speed like a diesel. I loved the 3.6 6cyl. In the end I bought a lexus as I did not like the small buttons on the dashboard.

I drive an outback with that powerplant, easily meets my needs, but not everyones.

Reddy45 said:
Why are the engines so underpowered? I hope it's not some strategy to make people want to buy STi models.
That can be subjective I give you. Also can be location dependent. I'm not saying they can't get you where you need to go but to me I find the 3.6 256 hp linked to high torque CVT to be the low end of what I find acceptable. The 2.5 at 175 I thought to be a bit of a dog when I test drove one. The new H4 (turbo 2.4) on the bigger and heavier accent may prove ok 260hp but IMHO that is a lot of high rev stress on a 4600lb vehicle. That's about 1000 pound more than my Outback. Not to mention a more blocky Forrester like wind pattern.

Just a personal opinion as I've never owned a 4cy Subaru. I don't have long term 200K plus feelings of longevity in them.

Are you driving that in Juno Beach FL? Florida as a whole is FLAT! 2.5 Can fit those needs more readily than where I live in the NorthEast. My dead end road alone has a substantial elevation gain (enough that the adiabatic cooling rate of 2.8F degrees decrease in temps over 1k ft is realized) as do many other roads I travel often. 2.5 non-turbo is a bit of a dog in these circumstances. I felt so anyway. I also answered in another post just below it...

Are you driving that in Juno Beach FL? Florida as a whole is FLAT! 2.5 Can fit those needs more readily than where I live in the NorthEast. My dead end road alone has a substantial elevation gain (enough that the adiabatic cooling rate of 2.8F degrees decrease in temps over 1k ft is realized) as do many other roads I travel often. 2.5 non-turbo is a bit of a dog in these circumstances. I felt so anyway. I also answered in another post just below it...
I drove that car in the NY Metro area from my home base in Yonkers (a hilly town) for over 5 years before I moved. Worked for me.

Well, its not mountains in the western states, or even the tiny mountains of upstate NY. I suppose if speeding up mountainous terrain is a driver requirement, the 4 cylinder Subu will not do.

There is hope for all...the new 2.5 turbo that came out for the Ascent has been getting positive feedback. It's been out in mass for long enough to see serious short term issues. Subaru seems to have a lot riding on this power plant.

most FWD sedans will be better in snow with 4 snow tyres compared to AWD with all season but winter tyres. look at Hyundai + Kias with the Looong warranty!!
Maybe against "some" socalled AWD...The Subie with the stock Yokokamas will take you places that your FWD with snows will not. Been there done that with my 08 Forester vs daughter's FWD with Blizzaks. And that was before Subaru's X Drive and vectored power.

My son’s 2020 Impreza Premium hatchback came with Continental ProContact TX tires. Not only did they make it through a bad winter they are wearing excellent. They seem to be putting better OE tires on these cars recently.

The Pro Contact TX 185 / 65 -15 ( H ) are factory installed on the '18 Accent . Start at 9/32s' and are at 7/32s' . Part of reason for longevity is due to winter tire install for about 6 months of the year . They are known for getting bulges in sidewalls after hitting potholes , etc.. May want to read consumer reviews and concerns at the CONTINENTAL site . Not so encouraging . They do well in rain and the rolling resistance is a plus . Averaging 39 M.P.G. ( calculated ) since new . Won't be purchasing the TX and will likely get the GENERAL ( Continental ) Alitimax RT-43 ( H ) as replacement which have very little impact on gas mileage . Also considering the new UNIROYAL Tiger Paw Touring A/S ( H ) . It has better tread pattern and plenty of deep sipes . Inexpensive like that of the RT 43 , especailly when rebate is applied .

Last edited:

As Mario Andretti once said: there are no slow cars, only slow drivers.

Someone must be driving Subaru Imprezas fast though because among all cars, Imprezas are #3 in getting speeding tickets. That is among all makes and models on the road, including Corvettes.

I have had 5 Subarus. Last two I still have. 2019 Impreza Sport 5-door, and a 2020 STI. My 2011 Outback I sold it at 120k miles. Zero issues.......99% of Subarus are slow. The outback had the ej253 sohc. Slow but A to Z always. The 19 is the slowest Subaru I have owned but I avg 37mpg on a 80 miles commute.

I think the only changes from 19 to 20 were cosmetic bumper covers and standard eyesight.

The NA 4 cylinder Subarus,......just get the best value 0w-20 syn GL5 or better and your good. The Kirkland twin 5L pack is cheap on sale. Runs smooth as butter, but slow.

wdn: The speeding ticket statistics must come from when the WRX and STI were impreza build packages. Total separate platforms now.

Last edited:
wdn: The speeding ticket statistics must come from when the WRX and STI were impreza build packages. Total separate platforms now.

No they DO NOT come from the WRX and STI. The WRX is a separate model and is rated all by itself. It is #1 for speeding tickets. The Volkswagen Jetta GTI is #2. The Impreza, plain vanilla impreza (not a WRX or STI) is #3for speeding tickets..

Thats amazing that there is so many speeding tickets in one of the slowest eco cars on the road. Takes like 10+ seconds to get to highway speed. They do ride very smooth and could give the driver feeling of slow speed.

Can you post the source? I would love to read.

Back