2020 Silverado 1500 6.2L towing

No towing but our 2016 Suburban with 5.3 gets AMSOIL SS 0w-20 and been changing out the oil and filter at 15k miles. No oil consumption.

I have a 2019 Silverado with the 6.2. Have not put the miles on it yet but it gets the same oil and filter. Will know more here in time when the miles add up. It tows a 4K lbs 10'x20' boxed trailer about once a month.

3/4 of a quart over the course of nearly 6000 miles? That's not bad consumption at all. I have had and have worse oil burners than that!

I rented a 5.3 DI chevy in the fall and it was 4 quarts low. Granted it was uhaul so who knows if it had ever seen an oil change, ever. Same with the F150 I had, it had 2000 more miles than the Chevy and was 2 quarts low.

No towing but our 2016 Suburban with 5.3 gets AMSOIL SS 0w-20 and been changing out the oil and filter at 15k miles. No oil consumption.

I have a 2019 Silverado with the 6.2. Have not put the miles on it yet but it gets the same oil and filter. Will know more here in time when the miles add up. It tows a 4K lbs 10'x20' boxed trailer about once a month.
Amsoil can’t prevent GDI dilution … so that 0w20 is staying in grade for 15k ?

Amsoil can’t prevent GDI dilution … so that 0w20 is staying in grade for 15k ?
thumbnail_IMG_9022.jpg

That's what the "arm chair" engineers on here say......in "thick vs. thin".

So are engineers just allowed to do whatever they want and the trucks we buy are all they could come up with? Doubt it.

I can think of a number of things on my truck that could easily be improved had the engineers not been handicapped by something stupid. Ford tried to put 5W-20 in the Ecoboost and realized it wasnt cutting it and switched to 5W-30.

Will 0W-20 self destruct your motor in 35k miles, absolutely not. But 35k miles is still inside the warranty window :LOL:

Last edited:
The Gen V v8's are designed around the idea of high flow rates instead of just high pressure. They modified the bypass pressure spec for oil filters when these engines came out in 2013/14. Considering the pump on the 2019's operates at 60 PSI while moving and ~90 PSI when cold, I don't think the engine needs a 40 weight even for towing.
Yeah … mentioned before how my 5.3L’s ECM “sees” demand (pedal down) and the pump shifts to high rate long before the RPM’s max …

Clearly says ASM in two places (along with the corresponding SS 0w20 dotted lines indicating several UOAs).

As well, Rat407 had mentioned earlier that the oil used recently/currently was 0w20.

The 0w30 appears to be a fill in 2017; what prompts the disbelief that subsequent Amsoil SS 0w20 fills withstood GDI angst?

So 0w30 ?
I'm confused was the oil that came out 0w20 or 0w30, if that 0w-20 is up to 9CSt with 3.7% fuel dilution when virgin is 8.8CSt, the oxidative thickening must be horrible.

Clearly says ASM in two places (along with the corresponding SS 0w20 dotted lines indicating several UOAs).

As well, Rat407 had mentioned earlier that the oil used recently/currently was 0w20.

The 0w30 appears to be a fill in 2017; what prompts the disbelief that subsequent Amsoil SS 0w20 fills withstood GDI angst?
Well it reports that it's got almost 4% fuel dillution and is thicker than a virgin sample., oil shouldn't get thicker unless it's went too long especially with almost 4% fuel dilution.

At the last 9 on 10/06/20 vs a virgin 8.8, I'd say that 2-3% thickening is preferable to 4% dilution.

Or are we now of the opinion that staying a virgin is practical?

Well it reports that it's got almost 4% fuel dillution and is thicker than a virgin sample., oil shouldn't get thicker unless it's went too long especially with almost 4% fuel dilution.

At the last 9 on 10/06/20 vs a virgin 8.8, I'd say that 2-3% thickening is preferable to 4% dilution.

Or are we now of the opinion that staying a virgin is practical?
But it's thickened even with massive fuel dilution, and the TAN was rising, everything about that VOA says to me that the OCI was too long.

It's the MLM 0w20 oil's fault, rather than the OCI, which you just mentioned above.

Got it (y)

But it's thickened even with massive fuel dilution, and the TAN was rising, everything about that VOA says to me that the OCI was too long.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use a 0w20 in anything over 7k miles; I suppose we are saying the same thing in different ways.

But I believe the premise of this minor kerfuffle was whether a "non GDI oil could hold up".

How far we have strayed, bitten by the brand nonsense bug again, I reckon.

Back