2020 Ram 1500 Oil

2020 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7L HEMI and eTorque. Plan to drive for 200k.

This is my 3rd vehicle so I expect annual mileage to be about 10K/yr, possibly less. FCA says to follow the OLM but service intervals should never exceed 1-yr or 10K. Dusty/prolonged idling conditions requires oil changes every 4,000 miles but that does not apply to me. Owner's manual specs for 7 quarts of a MS-6395 compliant 5W-20.

I am planning to use PP 5W-20 and a Mopar filter every 5K. Given the HEMI's past history of cam/lifter issues, should I be considering a different 5W-20?

Last edited:
Cam/lifter issues will not be remedied with oil, just follow the owner's manual, the Hemi is not picky about oil. From what I've read on this board, FCA seemed to have changed lifter's OEM, ca. 2017.

Originally Posted by Brian123
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30

+1..... if you don't mind buying it online at Walmart.com.
You will need two jugs anyways. So that means free shipping.
Valvoline Advanced, Castrol EP and Mobil-1 EP, three more good choices.

Want to spend more?...
Schaeffers 9000 (my pick)
Amsoil SS
Red Line

Want to spend less eventually?....
Castrol Magnatec
Quaker State Durability (my pick)
Rotella T6 Gas & Truck

I would upgrade the filter - but remain aligned with Purolator products.
Purolator One
Bosch Distance+
Carquest Red (my pick)

Last edited:

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Want to spend more?...
Schaeffers 9000
Amsoil SS
Red Line

Castrol Magnatec
Quaker State Durability
Rotella T6 Gas & Truck

The truck calls for a MS-6395 compliant 5W-20. If I am to deviate from this spec, there needs to be a compelling reason for it. Schaeffer's/Redline/Amsoil/Mobil 1 are not MS-6395 compliant.

Want to spend more?...
Schaeffers 9000
Amsoil SS
Red Line

Castrol Magnatec
Quaker State Durability
Rotella T6 Gas & Truck

Those are all great choices. Here are some more:

Supertech 5W-20
Kirkland 5W-20
Harvest King 5W-20
Ravenol 5W-20

Or, any other API SN 5W-20 -- preferably MS-6395 approved-- you may find on sale.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Want to spend more?...
Schaeffers 9000
Amsoil SS
Red Line

Castrol Magnatec
Quaker State Durability
Rotella T6 Gas & Truck

The truck calls for a MS-6395 compliant 5W-20. If I am to deviate from this spec, there needs to be a compelling reason for it. Schaeffer's/Redline/Amsoil/Mobil 1 are not MS-6395 compliant.

The truck recommends MS-6395. It just calls for API SN 5W-20.

I've been faced with the same issue after picking up a 2020 Laramie back in March. FCA recommends Mopar and Shell/Pennzoil in the manual and as a lifelong Valvoline user it pains me to say it, but I've decided to use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in mine. I know full well that any quality 5W-20 produced by any of the majors would work just fine, but in the unlikely event of a cam/lifter issue I would like to be able to show FCA that I followed their recommendation on brand and weight. If you frequent any of the Ram message boards you'll find recommendations all over the place, Redline 5W-30 has an almost cult like following, as does Platinum Ultra, and a lot of owners believe 5W-30 is "better" than 5W-20 in the Hemi 5.7L, especially if towing or hauling heavy weight. That is a whole other can of worms.

I also recently bought a one year old 2019 Jeep Cherokee with the 2.0L turbo that calls for synthetic 5W-30 that meets Chrysler material standard MS-13340. The only two oils that actually list that spec that I could find is the Mopar branded 5W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum, the Ultra doesn't. Again, I've been around long enough to know that any quality 5W-30 synthetic would work just fine. but I'd like to have documentation that I used what the manual recommends in the event I have an issue later on with the turbo or engine in general. The Jeep was owned by a salesman at a large Chevrolet dealership that also owns a Chrysler dealership and had all of the service work done there. I changed the oil today in the Jeep, just so I would know what is actually in the crankcase, with SP/GF-6 Platinum 5W-30 that was bottled on 6-3-20.The filter I took off was an AC-Delco PF48E, no idea what kind of oil it had in it, but I'd guess it was probably also AC-Delco. This was the first time in almost 50 years of changing my own oil that I cracked open a jug of Pennzoil, not Valvoline, so it was kind of a sad day.

I'm not advocating blindly following what the manufacture recommends, it's just what I decided to do after giving it a lot of thought.

I am using Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5W-20 for my Hemi break-in.
1st change at 1,000 miles using PYB, and did the 2nd change at 5,000 miles with PYB.
Using manual shifter to get compression braking to ensure rings are seated. Keeping that below 3,000 rpm.
Will change at 5,000 mile intervals going forward. Using stock Mopar filter.
Not sure if and when I will move to PP 5W-20.

The dealer where I bought my 2018 RAM 1500 3.6 gives free oil changes for life. They use bulk Chevron 5W20 and Chevron 5W30 in "ALL" vehicles, new and used. I traded the RAM in for a JEEP Gladiator 3.6 which the manual calls for 0W20. I asked and was told I would get what they have "back there"....I.E. bulk Chevron 5W20. This is why I change my own oil. I changed the factory fill out at 450 miles. In went QS conventional 5W20 that I had for the next 1000 miles . At 1500 miles the Jeep will be getting PP 5W20 the rest of it's life simply because I like it. I foresee zero problems doing it this way.

Reactions: JC1
If you want to use a 5w20 I strongly recommend Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w20. I think it is a hidden gem among 20 weight oils having incredibly good specs and performance for a very reasonable price,

I run Ultra Platinum 5W-20 in my 2018. I buy three jugs around Black Friday when its $19.97. I've used Fram Ultra filter each time.

Last edited:
My first change on the Ram I put in QSUD 5w-20 and a mopar filter, on my second change and it got 5qts of PP and 2qts of QSUD I had left over from the previous change (Walmart was out of QSUD) and a Fram ultra filter. Runs super quiet with no noise. I had the same amount of start up 'hemi tick' with both. Mine ticks pretty good a few times a week on startup. I'm changing mine annually which is around 8k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by farrarfan1
I've been faced with the same issue after picking up a 2020 Laramie back in March. FCA recommends Mopar and Shell/Pennzoil in the manual and as a lifelong Valvoline user it pains me to say it, but I've decided to use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in mine. I know full well that any quality 5W-20 produced by any of the majors would work just fine, but in the unlikely event of a cam/lifter issue I would like to be able to show FCA that I followed their recommendation on brand and weight. If you frequent any of the Ram message boards you'll find recommendations all over the place, Redline 5W-30 has an almost cult like following, as does Platinum Ultra, and a lot of owners believe 5W-30 is "better" than 5W-20 in the Hemi 5.7L, especially if towing or hauling heavy weight. That is a whole other can of worms.

I also recently bought a one year old 2019 Jeep Cherokee with the 2.0L turbo that calls for synthetic 5W-30 that meets Chrysler material standard MS-13340. The only two oils that actually list that spec that I could find is the Mopar branded 5W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum, the Ultra doesn't. Again, I've been around long enough to know that any quality 5W-30 synthetic would work just fine. but I'd like to have documentation that I used what the manual recommends in the event I have an issue later on with the turbo or engine in general. The Jeep was owned by a salesman at a large Chevrolet dealership that also owns a Chrysler dealership and had all of the service work done there. I changed the oil today in the Jeep, just so I would know what is actually in the crankcase, with SP/GF-6 Platinum 5W-30 that was bottled on 6-3-20.The filter I took off was an AC-Delco PF48E, no idea what kind of oil it had in it, but I'd guess it was probably also AC-Delco. This was the first time in almost 50 years of changing my own oil that I cracked open a jug of Pennzoil, not Valvoline, so it was kind of a sad day.

I'm not advocating blindly following what the manufacture recommends, it's just what I decided to do after giving it a lot of thought.

According to the manual it states as follows

Engine Oil Selection — 2.0L Engine
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only rec-
ommend engine oils that are API SN PLUS certified and
meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-
13340. An equivalent full synthetic engine oil can be used if
it meets API SN PLUS Certification. If SN PLUS or equiva-
lent oil is unavailable then please contact your local
dealership for recommendation.
So any SN Plus Certification. On Valvoline's website they recommend Valvoline Advance Full Synthetic 5w30.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W20
Wix/NAPA filter
5K oil changes and you'll get 200K + out of it.

Want to spend more?...
Schaeffers 9000
Amsoil SS
Red Line

Castrol Magnatec
Quaker State Durability
Rotella T6 Gas & Truck

Schaeffers IS MS6395 compliant.

And to the OP, run whatever you want in 5w20 / MS6395 while under warranty. Id suggest 5k ocis.

Want to spend more?...
Schaeffers 9000
Amsoil SS
Red Line

Castrol Magnatec
Quaker State Durability
Rotella T6 Gas & Truck

Double check the manual. Is there an area where it says 5w30 can be used? My brothers 2016 Jeep's manual does.

Back