Off Shore Hemi 5.7L Oil Manufacturer Recommendations

I have seen threads where an engine might be specced with a heavier weight oil outside of NA CAFE requirements.
Thought I would look up what oil is specced for the Ram 5.7L Hemi and JGC 5.7L Hemi in the Middle East.
The manuals are clear in wanting a 5W-20 meeting MS-6395 spec for both the Ram and the JGC Hemi.

Here's the link to the manuals.

YEP... followed your link, went to the challenger link...

"Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 3.6L Engine Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix Ultra or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy."
"NOTE:Mopar SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix Ultra or equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available"

"Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix Ultra or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy."
"NOTE:Vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Fuel Saver Technology. " IE the Cam Phasers and the MDS bits and bobs no work right.

"Engine Oil Viscosity — 6.2L And 6.4L Engine Use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 engine or equivalent Mopar oil meeting the FCA Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures."

almost any locally produced PCMO in the middle east is going to be garbage

if i was FCA middle east i would void warranties as much as possible for using anything other than products meeting ms-6395

It's because the MDS(?) system is somehow affected by oil weight.....not supposed to hurt anything though might throw a code....just put in Mobil 1 5W-30 in a 2011 5.7L RAM a week ago....not even MS-6395 approved o_O

Been running 5w/30 Mobil 1in wife's 3.6L Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and in my 5.7 Ram Limited. Jeep runs great and No MDS issues at all with the RAM. I used 5w/20 for the 1st 30k miles or so then went 5w/30 M1 and the jeep is around 130k and the Ram is at 96k miles. 5W/20 is not my preference. I am not saying it doesn't work, I just prefer the little thicker 5w/30.

Back