2020 Jeep Wrangler Eco Diesel Oil Dilemma

I bought a new 2020 Jeep Wrangler Eco Diesel. I have been using Amsoil for 10 plus years.
My question is my Wrangler has a 3.0 6-cylinder Code M EXJ 4 Diesel Turbo. Amsoil emailed me and said use 5-w40 European Car Formula Classic ESP Oil

I checked the Amsoil site for a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a
3.0 6-cyl Code M EXF M diesel Turbo and the Amsoil site says to use Signature Series Max Duty Synthetic Diesel oil 5w-40

What is the difference in the Code M EXJ 4 or the Code M EXF M engine?

I would really prefer to use the traditional Amsoil Signature Series max duty synthetic diesel oil

Appreciate the feedback in Advance. Thanks

May be something as simple as the SAP between the oils. Does AMSOIL publish specification/product data sheets you can compare and contrast? What does the owners manual specify?

The owners manual says to use Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic oil or an oil with performance levels equal to the MS-12991 specification. The dealer I bought my Jeep from said the use the Pennzoil. I was curious and called once of the biggest Jeep dealers in Missouri and they said they use Bulk Rotella T-6. It’s just confusing.

It is confusing. This engine has a DPF, Selective catalyst and urea injection?

I bought a new 2020 Jeep Wrangler Eco Diesel. I have been using Amsoil for 10 plus years.
My question is my Wrangler has a 3.0 6-cylinder Code M EXJ 4 Diesel Turbo. Amsoil emailed me and said use 5-w40 European Car Formula Classic ESP Oil

3.0 6-cyl Code M EXF M diesel Turbo and the Amsoil site says to use Signature Series Max Duty Synthetic Diesel oil 5w-40

I would really prefer to use the traditional Amsoil Signature Series max duty synthetic diesel oil

What is the output & torque specs for both engines? Hence...the difference between sae30 & sae40 oil...

What kind of "anti poluting" equipement does one or another engine have?

The owners manual says to use Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full Synthetic oil or an oil with performance levels equal to the MS-12991 specification. The dealer I bought my Jeep from said the use the Pennzoil. I was curious and called once of the biggest Jeep dealers in Missouri and they said they use Bulk Rotella T-6. It’s just confusing.

It's funny because back when I had my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD about the only easily obtainable oil that met the ridiculous Chrysler spec for the first few years after I bought it was whatever they had at the dealership. I (and many others) said screw it and just used Rotella T6 5w40, I know I never had any issues doing that.

Part of me thinks that Chrysler just forged an alliance with certain oil companies to limit who was allowed to receive their approval. RT6 has a reputation for not having received a lot of approvals over the years but it still gets used by many despite that only to meet or exceed performance requirements in the real world application.

The Jeep Wrangler Eco Diesel says it has 262hp/442 torque. Not sure on the Cherokee. Both vehicles say to us the 5w-40. Both engines say Code M. The Wrangler says EXJ 4 and the Cherokee says EXF M diesel turbo. I have no idea what they mean. I know someone on this site will. Appreciate the Feedback

Rotella T6 has good amounts of phos and zinc and ash content of 1%. ESP oils have less pho’s and zinc and ash content of .8%. One will protect your engine better and one will protect your dpf better.

The Cherokee and Ram Ecodiesels are slightly different from your Wrangler, even internally!
I just read through some old 4WOR magazines where they described the differences. The rods are offset a bit more, etc. to lower noise and there are durability updates.

Given the issues some Ram/GC owners have had with the existing 3.0L, I would run exactly what Jeep recommends and skip the Amsoil for the time being.

Which Has the lowest ash?

The Jeep Wrangler Eco Diesel says it has 262hp/442 torque. Not sure on the Cherokee. Both vehicles say to us the 5w-40. Both engines say Code M. The Wrangler says EXJ 4 and the Cherokee says EXF M diesel turbo. I have no idea what they mean. I know someone on this site will. Appreciate the Feedback
On the 2020 Ram 1500 with the 3.0 Turbo Diesel, Amsoil recommends the Euro ESP 5W-40. I guarantee you it is because the emission control equipment on the newer engines was likely updated, or the high ash oils were damaging the emissions systems. The November 2019 Automobile Magazine has a very detailed article about the eco-diesels in their 3 versions written by Todd Lassa.

Last edited:
The Cherokee and Ram Ecodiesels are slightly different from your Wrangler, even internally!
I just read through some old 4WOR magazines where they described the differences. The rods are offset a bit more, etc. to lower noise and there are durability updates.

Given the issues some Ram/GC owners have had with the existing 3.0L, I would run exactly what Jeep recommends and skip the Amsoil for the time being.
That is exactly what I am going to do. I will let the dealer change the oil. Thanks for the help

Here is what Amsoil emailed me.

Any oil can be gas or diesel. Most, if not all, diesel oils meet some form of gasoline specifications as well. For your engine, Chrysler is requiring that particular specification, which makes EFM good for both gas and diesel, in this case.
Thank you,
Ryan Lawrey
AMSOIL Technical Services

This is a list of oils that have the Chrysler MS-12991 and API SN Certification/Standard/Approval for use in the Jeep Wrangler 3.0 EcoDiesel.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
Ravenol 5W-40 VST
Valvoline 5W-40 MST SynPower
Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-40

"Eco Diesel" means......DPF....

And all oils posted above are full saps...

Something doesnt go together here :)

I would look for MB 229.51/52(since Jeep is Daimler?) ...or even better... Vw 504/507 oil...

Not sure what you mean. I’m new at this. I don’t know what all the abbreviations mean. Would you explain iit. Thanks

OP, this is confusing subject that FCA made it even more confusing.
First gen. of that engine in FCA vehicles in the US had issue with bearings. Band aid was Rotella T6 of ACE AA3 oils. Problem in the longs run is of course, higher SAPS levels in T6 and especially ACEA A3 compared to C3 oils that initially were required.
Your engine should have bearing issue addressed and you should use C3 oils if you plan to keep vehicle pass warranty. Now, I said FCA should have addressed bearing issue. For that reason, I would personally go with thick ACEA C3 5W40 oil. I think best suitable oil for that application, taking DPF into consideration, would be Motul X-Clean Gen2 5W40 as HTHS is at 3.9.

Back