2020 F450 6.7L oil

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Your Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 0w40 UOA vis avg. is 12.6 cSt @ 100C. Lower SAE limit for 40 wt is 12.5 cSt @ 100C (according to SAE website).

New oil avg. per Mobil PDS is 14.6 cSt. So there is some shear down and / or volatility over your 7,503 avg. OCI, but only down to the high limit of an SAE 30. Since these aren't HEUI injectors, no concerns with pilot valves stiction. Likely not huge deposits in piston ring / lands either.

I concur with racin4ds - being "way south" of you in mid-Minnesota, we're running synthetic 5W-40. Shell Rotella T6 CK-4.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is not approved against Ford antiwear spec WSS-M2C171-F1. I don't know why not. 0W-40 is approved. Rotella T6 CK-4 is approved.
WSS-M2C171-F1 originally developed to protect older HEUI PowerStrokes from modern CK-4 oils that took out too much antiwear to protect new diesel exhaust catalysts.

Thanks for your insight. Lots of good info.
What are your thoughts on when to do the first oil change on a new truck?
I have a new 2020 F350 with the 6.7L
I was planning on running it out until the oil minder tells me to change it like normal.
I remember doing some research when i was breaking in my 2015 and they said to run it out to 7500 miles or so as there were additives in the oil from the factory to break it in.
Any truth to that?
You seem to know alot about oil. Do you think there is a better oil that I should run instead of the 0w40 delvac esp ?
Thank you in advance!!
I have friends in Minnesota.....usually meet up in Sturgis each year.

There are others on here that know way, way more than I. And they'll tell you so!
lol.gif

I was trained by Mobil Oil Corp back in the 80s in Industrial Lubrication Engineering and applications. I left in 1990 and worked at Cummins until 2016. So I kept up with a lot, but not all of it like many folks on here. I know more about Cummins engines than others, but followed most industry trends.

I've read some about the new Ford PowerStroke 6.7L engine. It seems like a really good engine which is quite something for Ford's 1st diesel. I mean, the whole reason they went with Navistar originally was because supposedly Navistar was the leading expert in mid size diesel engines. Oops!

The general recommendations today are you don't need to do breakin oil changes anymore, with better machine element tolerances and fit. Check your owner's manual to be sure. This is Cummins position. They generally still want a breakin load cycle, however, to make sure parts perform a final machine-lapping in. Cylinders, gears, cams, etc. Yes, you get some fine machining metals, but the volume is not high such that your filters get loaded prior to normal OCI. The important thing is to break in by varying speeds, no constant high speed, and no towing for the 1st 500 miles / 20 hours or so. I suspect Ford has this in their manual also.

The Ford 6.7L is a completely different animal than predecessor Navistar HEUI engines. It is a truly modern, state-of the art diesel. These must use an API CK-4 rated oil, because they must meet the latest EPA-mandated exhaust emission regulations. Which means you've got some combination of exhaust aftertreatment that can't handle certain oil additives without poisoning some of the devices. So that's a for-sure. CK-4 is the most recent quality category for diesel engine oils. Most make it.

Second, Ford wants oils that meet their antiwear quality spec, even though they no longer use a high pressure / high wear oil pump (it's now the fuel pump). This is ford wss-m2c171-f1. I attached a copy of the latest (2019) below.

The debate about "best" oil is never-ending. That's what is done here. I have settled (for now) on Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 for my son's old HEUI truck. Meets the Ford Spec. Also CK-4, which is all I can find now. Only needed CH or CI. Also a Group III synthetic with GTL base stock, which I prefer. The real debate is about VII additives, which you don't need to worry about because you don't have HEUI. Look at this list then ask.

https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/..._Motor_Oils_Meeting_Ford_WSSM2c171F1.pdf

Thank you for all the info.
As you understand the numbers better than I from my Blackstone report I was just curious if you were me, would you be happy with them and continue to use Delvac ESP 0w40 ?
The numbers look good to me....but I'm no expert.
And yes I see it is the only 0w40 oil approved by Ford.
I have run Shell T6 5w40 in the past, but as I have many cold starts a year....sometimes not plugged in.
I decided to go to 0w40

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Living in Texas, I'd be running 5W40 or 15W40 year round. Cold starts are a non issue and you need the viscosity for protection in that super high output 6.7. Don't worry about CAFE BS
Wow this thread really took off, lots of great info and advice. I agree that in Texas heat as I start towing more I want the 40 weight in it, especially at the power level this new 6.7 is at!

Good news is, the Ford 6.7 is a common rail injected diesel (like a Cummins), not a shear-prone HEUI with HPOP & oil fired injectors, so any Ford approved oil will work. The concern was with prematurely wearing rocker arms on the Ford 6.7, hopefully Ford has that issue sorted out by now. 10W30 seems to be the new, big thing in HDEO these days, there are a LOT of big rig engines coming with it as factory fill, I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Living in Texas, I'd be running 5W40 or 15W40 year round. Cold starts are a non issue and you need the viscosity for protection in that super high output 6.7. Don't worry about CAFE BS

I would call a quality 15W-40 the superior oil. If the starting temps were with i the 15W range.

My vote is for the motorcraft 15w40 if you will use the truck primarily for towing based on your location. To be honest you would probably be fine with the motorcraft 10w30 as well. The 10w30 holds up well in my ‘17.

Originally Posted by PDRig
My vote is for the motorcraft 15w40 if you will use the truck primarily for towing based on your location. To be honest you would probably be fine with the motorcraft 10w30 as well. The 10w30 holds up well in my ‘17.

+1

And run a Motorcraft or Donaldson filter with it.

It will be primarily for towing but some running around mileage as well. Combined weight when towing is a little over 26000 pounds so maybe the 10W40 Motorcraft is better in the heat. Someone posted the Zinc and phosphorus specs in another thread and the MC 10W40 looks pretty stout!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SAJEFFC

It will be primarily for towing but some running around mileage as well. Combined weight when towing is a little over 26000 pounds so maybe the 10W40 Motorcraft is better in the heat. Someone posted the Zinc and phosphorus specs in another thread and the MC 10W40 looks pretty stout!

To the best of my knowledge motorcraft does not make a 10w40 for the powerstroke. I just checked the product offering and motorcraft has an SN rate 10w40. I am assuming you meant to say 15w40, just be sure you do not put 10w40 MC in there. And I agree with you. The 15w40 (or 10w30) motorcraft oils are more than capable of getting the job done for you. Just make sure it carries the F1 spec, lest the oil gods look unfavorably upon you.

To the best of my knowledge motorcraft does not make a 10w40 for the powerstroke. I just checked the product offering and motorcraft has an SN rate 10w40. I am assuming you meant to say 15w40, just be sure you do not put 10w40 MC in there. And I agree with you. The 15w40 (or 10w30) motorcraft oils are more than capable of getting the job done for you. Just make sure it carries the F1 spec, lest the oil gods look unfavorably upon you.

Yes thank you....I fat fingered the weight, meant 15W40. I get all excited talking about oils lol hence my 15 yr membership here
banana2.gif

Yes thank you....I fat fingered the weight, meant 15W40. I get all excited talking about oils lol hence my 15 yr membership here
banana2.gif

I figured as much.

Good info! I bought a 2020 f350 drw limited 6.7, still have approx 250L of mineral 15w40 and syn 0w40 COOP DMO CJ-4 is like to use. Previous truck was a ‘16 450. Any concern with the CJ-4 in the ‘20? I suspect none, but wanted to throw it out there anyway. Apologies for the hijack.

I'd be curious to see at what viscosity wear metals start rising substantially in UOA's, most other conditions being relatively equal (ambient temp, loads, duty cycles, etc.)

I guess that's the data perfectionist in me - what lubricant viscosity is high enough to mitigate most of the engine wear - i.e., the "knee" in the vis-wear curve. Most OEM's I see (sans HEUI) say 15W-40 in warmer climates, and 10W-30 in colder climates, with 5W-XX in artic climates. I presume there's something more to this than just engine starting capability in cold cells? We did a lot of that kind of testing, but not for wear.

Hello,

Much of the information given here is totally incorrect and based on opinions and "gut feelings". The facts are contained in your instruction manual. Ford has over 19 million miles experience on the PS6.7. Arguably, this engine is the most important core product at Ford.

Please follow the manual and disregard all of the armchair advice. Don't believe the folks thinking they are smarter and more knowledgeable than FoMoCo, their engineers and a mountain of testing and real world results.

I own a towing company and we have a large fleet of trucks. We have run both gas and diesel F450s, 550s, 650s and have the new 600 on order.

We have taken deliver of our first (2) 2020 F450 6.7s.

Do not change your oil early!!!! Nowhere is this suggested in the owner's manuals or by Ford. Follow the oil life monitor. My trucks run 24/7 and we don't shut them off even to fuel. They have extensive towing and idle time. We do not short Change the factory fill ever. Not in 24 years. My trucks travel on the low side of 2,500 miles to a high of 3,500 mile per week. We keep our trucks to 250,000 miles which is between 2-3 years of age. Hats north of 8,000 engine hours.

We run oil, including the factory fill, until the end of the OLM always without exception. In literally millions and millions of miles we have only had a single oil related failure. A few years ago a truck responding at night to a vehicle that went off the road in an accident ran over a large piece of rebar bent in such a way with was driven into the oil pan ripping it open. This is the totality of oil related issues in a 24 year career and millions upon millions of miles.

Since the OP is not in the category of severe duty use a cheap conventional 15w40 per the owners manual meeting the current Ford F1 spec. Buy the cheapest available meeting the spec. Same with the oil filter. We stock and use Fram orange cans mostly. Sometimes Purolator and other brands. We buy in bulk so order whatever is cheapest. Anything else is a total waste.

My company uses bulk 5w40 meeting the Ford Spec. For years we used Mag1 in 55 gallon drums. Due to a recent supplier change (a better deal) we are running Purus 5w40. Check out their web page. Great quality oil at an awesome price. It's 100% Ford F1 approved.

Remember, these are work trucks. If you saw the abuse my trucks take day in and day out you would be amazed. Frankly, your rig will probably suffer from NOT being worked hard. Probably the best engine choice for you would have been gas but it's America and if you like the big rig sound cool. Just remember no For-profit company in the world with fleet vehicles is short changing the oil, buying designer, boutique oils and premium filters. Every cop car, bus, ambulance, taxi, Uber, rental car, towing company ect ect ect is buying whatever is cheapest and meets specs. Always make sure you meet the manufacturer's spec and you are truly good to go.

(Don't run fuel additives either. TOTALLY unnecessary expense. You might as well just pile your money up and light it on fire.)

I will get flamed by all of the over-thinkers but my response is based 100% on facts per the Ford owner's manuals.

Enjoy your truck. I've owned every brand of medium duty truck and the only one that can hold up to our abuse and use model are Fords.

Take care.

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

2020 F450 / in-fleet 2 weeks and just shy of 5,000 miles. I'm driving it personally this morning and it's idling while I have breakfast at a coffee shop and do some work. I refuse to get into a hot truck. Owner's privilege.

Back