2019 Toyota twin turbo 4.5 litre V8 diesel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys.
I have a question re what oil to run in this.
We're running this as a farm wagon, and we'll drive it until it's junk on the farm only.
As it's going to be fully off-road, we will be removing all the DPF and cats (don't want issues with DPF and catalytic converter clog) which means we no longer need to run rubbish oil to suit these systems.
My default oil here is (usually) the same stuff we put in the farm trucks and tractors, being Delvac Super 15W40 or Rimula R4X 15W40.

But I don't know a lot about these little V8 diesels. We run 15W40 in everything else and they have lasted just fine. Toyota want a DPF safe 5W30, which will wear out the engine.

Am I on the right track here?

Originally Posted by Dinoburner
So jealous, we can`t have the Toy diesel here. Wouldn`t dare advise on which oil.

Pretty sure posted just to rub it in.
cry.gif

Originally Posted by Up2nogood
Hi guys.
We're running this as a farm wagon, and we'll drive it until it's junk on the farm only.
As it's going to be fully off-road, we will be removing all the DPF and cats (don't want issues with DPF and catalytic converter clog) which means we no longer need to run rubbish oil to suit these systems.
My default oil here is (usually) the same stuff we put in the farm trucks and tractors, being Delvac Super 15W40 or Rimula R4X 15W40.

But I don't know a lot about these little V8 diesels. We run 15W40 in everything else and they have lasted just fine. Toyota want a DPF safe 5W30, which will wear out the engine.

You might want to educate yourself.
Keep using those "rubbish" oils.

The RAM 1500 EcoDiesel 3.0L was first spec'd for a 5w30 Low SAPS oil and was then back spec'd to a 5w40 Mid SAPS.

My RAM 1500 EcoDiesel has shown the best UOA's with a 15w40 Synthetic Blend.

I think your truck will be fine with a 15w40. Save yourself some money and leave the exhaust aftertreatment parts in place and run a CK-4 or E7/E9 spec'd oil. If the parts fail outside of warranty then do a delete.

The Low-saps crowd will tell you that C3 oils are great and they are suitable for this application. However you will see that with regular UOA sampling an HDEO that is CJ-4, CK-4 or even CI-4+ will hold up better and produce lower wear numbers.

A 10w30, 5w40 or 15w40 that meets the above specs will be excellent. Full Synthetic would be best because of the twin turbo and extra heat/load this truck will see. Personally I'd be looking at the 40 wt options. Amsoil, Kendall, Redline, Penrith, Ravenol, etc...

Thanks guys. As to the factory spec oil, we've already had overhead gear failure on a 4cyl TD Toyota Prado at 70,000 kms which has been attributed to the type of oil used by Toyota. Unfortunately it died outside of warranty.
Im not greatly interested in having the same occur on this one. Our older farm utes without these things do 600,000 with minimal fuss before one of the team or our environment eventually break them.
As the local EPA isn't going to fund me new engines, I'm going with what would be spec'd without this equipment. No offence meant with the rubbish oil comment, just been my poor previous experience.
As to it being the farm rig, my back can't take the leaf sprung utes anymore and they are only $15k less than this rig and I deduct it from tax anyway. This poor thing will be driving dirt roads with a three tonne trailer, so it's going to suffer quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback, once we bin the EGR and pull the rest of the gear off and replace it with a ratbag exhaust, I'll switch over to the synthetic 15W40.

If you will leave dpf and egr as it is...look for Rimula R6lm in 10w40.....ash level is just 0.9 (ACEA C3 is 0.8 for comparison)...

I am fideling with that oil option for my Yaris with D4d engine (DPF)
wink.gif

Thanks guys. As to the factory spec oil, we've already had overhead gear failure on a 4cyl TD Toyota Prado at 70,000 kms which has been attributed to the type of oil used by Toyota. Unfortunately it died outside of warranty.
Im not greatly interested in having the same occur on this one. Our older farm utes without these things do 600,000 with minimal fuss before one of the team or our environment eventually break them.
As the local EPA isn't going to fund me new engines, I'm going with what would be spec'd without this equipment. No offence meant with the rubbish oil comment, just been my poor previous experience.
As to it being the farm rig, my back can't take the leaf sprung utes anymore and they are only $15k less than this rig and I deduct it from tax anyway. This poor thing will be driving dirt roads with a three tonne trailer, so it's going to suffer quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback, once we bin the EGR and pull the rest of the gear off and replace it with a ratbag exhaust, I'll switch over to the synthetic 15W40.

4cyl Toyota diesels, especially smaller ones, 2.2 and 1.4 are absolute POS of engines. I have 3.0 D-4D Prado in Europe, and it is astonishingly unremarkable and below average reliable engine. 1.4 and 2.2 engines are probably some of the worse engines European market ever seen when it comes to diesel engines. ANd it does not have anything to do with oils, but poor quality and design.
I would go with 5W40 oil that meets MB 229.51 specification in that engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
The Low-saps crowd will tell you that C3 oils are great and they are suitable for this application. However you will see that with regular UOA sampling an HDEO that is CJ-4, CK-4 or even CI-4+ will hold up better and produce lower wear numbers.

A 10w30, 5w40 or 15w40 that meets the above specs will be excellent. Full Synthetic would be best because of the twin turbo and extra heat/load this truck will see. Personally I'd be looking at the 40 wt options. Amsoil, Kendall, Redline, Penrith, Ravenol, etc...

Low-SAPS oils are there to protect overly expensive emission system. All taxi vehicles are running on Low-SAPS oils, and pretty much all gas and diesel engines are running on low -SAPS oils. SO if wear is bit higher what does that mean? That engine is not going to last 400k, but 359k?

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
The RAM 1500 EcoDiesel 3.0L was first spec'd for a 5w30 Low SAPS oil and was then back spec'd to a 5w40 Mid SAPS.

My RAM 1500 EcoDiesel has shown the best UOA's with a 15w40 Synthetic Blend.

I think your truck will be fine with a 15w40. Save yourself some money and leave the exhaust aftertreatment parts in place and run a CK-4 or E7/E9 spec'd oil. If the parts fail outside of warranty then do a delete.

Those engines were moved to heavier oils due to engineering issues, not because oils are bad.

I have to disagree with you about Toyota diesels....1.4 & 2.2...you dont like them because of higher oil consumption on them...but that was back in 2007/2008...only

3.0 Prado...well yes they are fincky engines....like to crack heads (mine was repaired by a previous owner)....but that is the reason why I am a little OCD with coolant change and I also have 76C tjetmostate in it

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
I have to disagree with you about Toyota diesels....1.4 & 2.2...you dont like them because of higher oil consumption on them...but that was back in 2007/2008...only

3.0 Prado...well yes they are fincky engines....like to crack heads (mine was repaired by a previous owner)....but that is the reason why I am a little OCD with coolant change and I also have 76C tjetmostate in it

I was involved in fuel testing on 1.4 D-4D engines. It is absolute POS, with pumps that are designed to run basically on laboratory clean diesel. The list of what to use or not to use in that engine is on par with how to handle Gremlins
smile.gif
2.2 had engineering issue and quality of components issue. It is issue since 2005. That is to put on a side the fact that those are mediocre engines in every performance aspect.
Only Toyota diesel that is really good was inline 6 in Land Cruisers that red Cross used, with no turbo
smile.gif

Meh....1.4 d4d's are known to be trouble free engines (look at any forum)....some had excessive oil consumption (French manufactured ones around 07/08)....mine is all that
smile.gif
it was made in France....its 1.4 d4d...and also it has MMT gearbox wich is known to break down alot...but yet its best car I had so far
laugh.gif

11yes old....2nd owner...210kkm on odo...could ot be that engine was changed by the previous owner under varanty....idk...oil consumption is normal...

I would consider Rimula R6M, high ash lots of additives. It was apparently of the type recommended for older non emission controlled diesels in LCs like the H and B series. Available in Australia and 10W40.

Hi guys.

What is the sulfur content of the fuel you're using on the farm Down Under?

diesel fuel down here is 10ppm sulfur...not sure that you can buy an off road higher sulfur equivalent.

Built a sulfur trioxide flue gas injection plant ages ago, and was astounded how big the piles of yellow at the refineries were, and how cheap a tanker of molten sulfur was delivered to site.

Originally Posted by Shannow
diesel fuel down here is 10ppm sulfur...not sure that you can buy an off road higher sulfur equivalent.

Built a sulfur trioxide flue gas injection plant ages ago, and was astounded how big the piles of yellow at the refineries were, and how cheap a tanker of molten sulfur was delivered to site.

Interesting that Down Under Diesel has lower S than our 15 ppm ULSD in The States. I was leading up to saying that it may be necessary to go with a high-TBN oil if the Sulfur was still high...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back