2019 Subaru Impreza anyone?

4 year update: Our 19 has been extremely reliable. It's often been neglected and only had dealer oil changes. Not a single issue in 4 years. Short trips, dirt roads, snow....car has been flawless. It's very underpowered. No issues with the CVT. I actually like it. I don't mind a good CVT and I've driven mostly manuals all my life. Engine uses no oil over an OCI. Can't fault this car in any way. It's built well.

I tried to update my OP on the Impreza but it was locked for some reason.

Last edited:
4 year update: Our 19 has been extremely reliable. It's often been neglected and only had dealer oil changes. Not a single issue in 4 years. Short trips, dirt roads, snow....car has been flawless. It's very underpowered. No issues with the CVT. I actually like it. I don't mind a good CVT and I've driven mostly manuals all my life. Engine uses no oil over an OCI. Can't fault this car in any way. It's built well.

I tried to update my OP on the Impreza but it was locked for some reason.
Usually that's our experience with many Impreza and Crosstrek ownership over three decades. Our 2017 ate the rear brake pads by or before 32K miles down to the backing plate. They are only the size of dominos. Keep an eye on them.

Way easy to replace, the rear parking brake is a mini drum in the rotor hat - so no weird gizmos on the disc. Those rear drums never wear - unless you are a Rally driver :)

- Ken

The car gets overlooked in the segment compared to the Mazda/Honda/Toyota/Kia offerings, and I suppose rightfully so for different reasons. But for the price, and quality AWD you get for the $, they're good cars IMO.

The traction is incredible in the rain. The AWD and low center of gravity keep it anchored to the ground.

Tires keep it anchored to the ground. We got over 200" of snow last year, and I had better traction coming to a stop and accelerating than nearly all of the other compact crossovers and a plethora of Subarus (We Minnesotans love them!). The right tires for the conditions matter far more than the drive wheels or the placement of the engine.

Tires keep it anchored to the ground. We got over 200" of snow last year, and I had better traction coming to a stop and accelerating than nearly all of the other compact crossovers and a plethora of Subarus (We Minnesotans love them!). The right tires for the conditions matter far more than the drive wheels or the placement of the engine.
yes, but when all 4 tires are good the traction is even better.

For those that don't think AWD makes a difference, try driving your car on a beach.

The beach I go on will NOT give you a permit unless you have 4WD.

1694101117301.jpg

Need an inexpensive commuter with awd. Anyone here have one?
We have a 2023 Impreza as a third family vehicle, primarily for a teen driver. 2023 is the last model year of that generation. It's small, nimble (extremely easy to drive in a city and around town), and safe. I think acceleration is adequate and frankly the car is geared such that it feels sufficient. The Impreza is relatively light, so it does blow around a little on very windy days when highway driving.

Just under 10,000 miles. A/C is a bit weak, but putting it on recirculate mode helps. CVT can be a bit clunky during cold acceleration from 0-10. Fuel economy is meh, especially around town. Mid 20s. We can get 32-33 on a long highway ride.

AWD system is really nice and it drives well in rain/snow/slush. We have the base model. Premium trim adds a few goodies including heated mirrors, alloy wheels, heated seats, fog lights, and roof rails. Price differential between base and Premium may not be too much in the used market.

I really like the Impreza. Unless I need the room, I'd rather drive it than the other two cars in the family fleet. Our Subaru dealership is also fantastic. Great on the sales and service sides, and they did not price gouge during the pandemic. Honored Subaru VIP pricing and handled the purchase entirely over e-mail.

yes, but when all 4 tires are good the traction is even better.

For those that don't think AWD makes a difference, try driving your car on a beach.

The beach I go on will NOT give you a permit unless you have 4WD.

View attachment 177325
Capture-3.jpg

That's why when I hit the beach I pop out with this bad boy. Capable of full lock up 50% to the rear wheels. :rolleyes:

View attachment 177329

That's why when I hit the beach I pop out with this bad boy. Capable of full lock up 50% to the rear wheels. :rolleyes:
Why not use a vehicle with the right ground clearance to start.

Put a Crosstrek or Forester on stock tires vs any other SUV with a lesser AWD system or RWD/FWD and take it on the beach. Then get back to me.

Every SUV that tries to enter the beach with your typical low cost AWD system gets stuck. Subarus do quite well. Even on OE tires. Hmmm I wonder why? 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
This same truck, with 4wd, does very well. This one was 2wd. Stuck.

1694101900217.jpg

Why not use a vehicle with the right ground clearance to start.

Put a Crosstrek or Forester on stock tires vs any other SUV with a lesser AWD system or RWD/FWD and take it on the beach. Then get back to me.

Every SUV that tries to enter the beach with your typical low cost AWD system gets stuck. Subarus do quite well. Even on OE tires. Hmmm I wonder why? 🤦‍♂️
Are you implying that Subaru has somehow figured out how to overdrive the rear wheels to allow more than 50% lockup? And they're not advertising this? Do tell.

Are you implying that Subaru has somehow figured out how to overdrive the rear wheels to allow more than 50% lockup? And they're not advertising this? Do tell.
From my understanding Subaru is a 60/40 torque split.

Take a Subaru AWD vehicle and put snow tires on it. Then do the same with a 2wd SUV and see how they compare in wet, snow and beach.

Lots of AWD SUVs do 50/50 torque split on full lockup. The main difference is Subaru loves to drive the rear clutch (Yeah, the same clutch-type system found in all of those cheap crossovers you've mentioned) a bit more often, especially during higher-speed highway driving. I love my AWD too, but it's not some torque vectoring, rear overdrive unit special system. Subaru's DCCD is a great example of phenomenal AWD. Their active torque split is very common now. Crossovers aren't waiting on hydraulic slip to actuate the rear wheels anymore, they can look at wheel speed sensors and a host of other factors like incline, steering effort, external temperature, and brake pressure to predetermine when the secondary drive wheels need to kick on (Whether that be the rear wheels in most FWD biased vehicles or the front wheels in a BMW / Mercedes).

Lots of AWD SUVs do 50/50 torque split on full lockup. The main difference is Subaru loves to drive the rear clutch (Yeah, the same clutch-type system found in all of those cheap crossovers you've mentioned) a bit more often, especially during higher-speed highway driving. I love my AWD too, but it's not some torque vectoring, rear overdrive unit special system. Subaru's DCCD is a great example of phenomenal AWD. Their active torque split is very common now. Crossovers aren't waiting on hydraulic slip to actuate the rear wheels anymore, they can look at wheel speed sensors and a host of other factors like incline, steering effort, external temperature, and brake pressure to predetermine when the secondary drive wheels need to kick on (Whether that be the rear wheels in most FWD biased vehicles or the front wheels in a BMW / Mercedes).
True. I will say though the Subaru system outperformed Mazda's when I had it. Despite it being "quick" to send power to rear, it wasn't quite fast enough or as effective as Subaru's which is 60/40. I could get the Mazda to spin tires. Subaru just felt far more planted and it's on OE tires which are not great by any means.

Same with CRV. System was just not quick enough to react. The Subaru being a mostly constant 60/40 felt much more stable. I think the reactive systems are good and have gotten better, but still can't quite match those with a more balanced torque split.

But to your point about tires, that is the biggest factor.

Rant ON:
Who allows driving on the beach anymore? That's insane.
Environmentally unconscious; just like building private homes on the coast. Nuts.
Rant OFF.

Back