2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7L - Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 - 10073miles

Correct me if I’m being paranoid, but if Blackstone screws up the first sample with viscosity...retests, results change in the one category of concern, but doesn’t change one single part per million in any other category...does that raise a red flag? Did they really retest or just fill in the viscosity segment with a different number?

I’m asking because I don’t know and I’m skeptical. Because in my mind - and I could be 100% wrong - there would be some sort of minor variations in copper and aluminum in ppm’s, no? Or do they just retest and test only for viscosity?
I don't see how a material count and viscosity test are related. However, I was having a comparable thought this morning, what if something was switched, is it my sample, etc, etc, etc. I emailed again.

After thinking about it more, is there a possibility that samples or data was mixed? Or something comparable? This was a pretty big change in the test result and it raises some concerns in my mind about the entire report.

I'm sure we're running low on sample at this point, but is there any left?

No, that's not of interest unless you are looking for entertainment only.
One interesting thing I saw there, PP TBN is 5.2. I have never seen such low TBN in PP, usually around 7. Is it another miss by BS?
PS: more like a rhetorical question

Response received

I appreciate your concern and looked into it, but found no reason to suspect the other data is inaccurate. Each test is run separately and nothing about the other data for your sample or others tested around the same time suggests a mix up. I put in a request for a third viscosity reading which I will pass along if there is enough sample left. Note that neither viscosity reading indicated a problem with the oil and the results overall were also favorable. If anything in the results had suggested a real problem, we would have stated that plainly in the comments and if bad enough, our policy is to give you a call before sending out the report. I do not believe there is any cause to be concerned about the health of your Ram's engine.

Final response

We were able to test the viscosity a third time and it was consistent with the second reading. I am confident that the oil's viscosity met 5W/20 specifications.

Response received
Ok, we’ll that answers my question. Each test is independent of each other. That makes sense to why nothing else changed in your updated test.

It’s good that they get back to you, I like that. Shows that’s it’s probably a smaller outfit and employees might actually like working there. IMO.

If Hemi's sit for a while, even new ones, they tick loudly for 30 - 60 seconds until oil has been well circulated.
Seems to be worse in the winter.
I've heard 100s do this.
"Its a hemi thing"

I hear this and have read of it for years. I guess I'm lucky that my hemi basically never ticks aside from the rare occasion under the specific circumstances I listed above. I listen on every startup (just a weird habit of mine). None of the later model Ram 1500 and 2500 owners I know of have ticking issues either.

My pentastar powered 2017 Ram 1500 had more of a sewing machine sound to it on cold start.

I also cut open every used oil filter to examine for metal bits.

I hear this and have read of it for years. I guess I'm lucky that my hemi basically never ticks aside from the rare occasion under the specific circumstances I listed above. I listen on every startup (just a weird habit of mine). None of the later model Ram 1500 and 2500 owners I know of have ticking issues either.

My pentastar powered 2017 Ram 1500 had more of a sewing machine sound to it on cold start.

I also cut open every used oil filter to examine for metal bits.
For some background, I work at a large Ram dealer.
I get to hear a very large sample of Rams - 100s of them a year

Back