2019 Ram 1500 Classic 5.7L - Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 - 10073miles

I have a friend who has two RAM 1500s with the 5.7. He is a Hyundai Master Tech and Chrysler certified mechanic. He uses original Mobil 1 5W30 in both. Why? He has seen too many trucks, Chargers, Chrysler 300s with the HEMI tick and wiped out cams and lifters. Neither of his has experienced it. Plus, he does 5,000 mile oil changes.
Lifter failure is a mechanical issue due to improper hardening as has been discussed about a million times on here and there have been some great up close pictures of the failure mechanism posted by @TeamZero who is an FCA (now Stellantis) tech. OCI length and lube selection ultimately aren't going to fix a mechanical problem, that's also why the lifters have so many revisions.

I request they verify. It would be pretty disappointing if the sample was mixed up, although I understand mistakes happen. Everything was well labeled.

I've posted this probably 30x, but I'll share it here again:
View attachment 104258
Thanks for posting it again
But this diagram supports what I pointed out. I said major players are heat and oxidation. How big of the player is water on this diagram? What percentage of water in this formula?
Water always presents in oil as it is derived from ambient air humidity slowly interacting with the lubricant oil overtime. Older oil more moisture it has

But back to my original point, normally oil degradation due to the oxidation leads to thickening of oil which will be slowly turning to sludge varnish

Thanks for posting it again
But this diagram supports what I pointed out. I said major players are heat and oxidation.
I said it requires moisture. You disagreed.

The mechanism for varnish requires heat, the one for sludge does not. However, varnish can interact with carbon, water and solids and yield sludge.
How big of the player is water on this diagram? What percentage of water in this formula?
It's not a fixed percentage, just a necessary player, otherwise, you don't end up with sludge.
Water always presents in oil as it is derived from ambient air humidity slowly interacting with the lubricant oil overtime. Older oil more moisture it has
Depends on how hot the oil regularly gets. An engine that gets hot and stays hot is more inclined to form varnish. An engine that is short-tripped and subsequently produces a significant amount of moisture that is never evaporated will be more inclined toward sludge. If you've ever seen the "mayonnaise" that forms under the oil fill cap in a car that's operated during the winter in a cold climate, that's a good exaggerated view of the process that ultimately results in sludge.
But back to my original point, normally oil degradation due to the oxidation leads to thickening of oil which will be slowly turning to sludge varnish
Yes, I agree, since you mentioned heat.

So, for the audience:
- The mechanism for sludge requires resins, soot, oil and water
- Resins that coat soot particles can agglomerate and deposit in low flow areas (this is that dark heavy stuff that isn't varnish and isn't sludge)
- Soot particles that coat resins produce lacquer, which can build-up on surfaces. Add heat, and you get heavy, dark varnish
- The mechanism for varnish requires resins and heat
- Varnish plus carbon, water and solids can also yield sludge

I bought this truck with 8848 miles on it in June 2020. Oil was changed before I got it and I changed it twice (@16500 and 26462) before this sample with Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and a Fram Ultra. I generally follow the OLM with synthetics for a bit of a buffer.

Drive hours: 266
Idle hours: 19

Commute is 80% highway. Almost all family driving is in this truck as well on evenings and weekends.

Quite pleased with this, wasn't expecting anything bad, but you never know. Planning to continue as usual.

View attachment 104153
Thickening. Ran it too far. Try 7500.

My message to Blackstone:
The viscosity at 100*C seems concerning being high. Could this be a warning of oxidation occurring? Is it possible to verify this number? Are there any other tests that I could request to run on this sample to show if it is oxidation?

Their reply:
I wouldn't say a slightly high viscosity is especially concerning, but I put in a request for a rerun of that test. If there is enough oil remaining, I'll pass along the second result later today or tomorrow. Insolubles are a pretty good measure of oxidation from heat, blow-by, use, or contamination and they're included in the standard analysis. The oil filter is designed to remove these solids and since it was able to keep them down to just 0.1% of the sample, I wouldn't think oxidation is a problem for your engine/oil. Wear levels look excellent so there's no reason to think your engine is struggling based on this data.

[QUOTE="I Definitely is with 10k+ on Pennz Plat. It's not an extended OCI oil.
[/QUOTE]
It is rated with the mfgs spec?

Imo, OLMs are dedigned to get you past warranty with minimal repair cost risk to the manufacturer, and allow manufacturers to show lowest possible TCO through warranty period.
If I plan on keeping a vehicle past powertrain warranty, I'm changing oil at 5000 mile intervals.
Again, my opinion.
I do agree that if you're going to run with the bare minimum per the OLM, you're probably not intending to keep the vehicle forever. That's why I run a synthetic for that length, rather than a standard conventional.

Owners manual calls for MS-6395 and Pennzoil Platinum meets the MS-6395 spec.

I'd update the original post, but looks like that is not allowed. Any way to at least edit the title?

The retest reveal a lower viscosity at 100*C, 8.72.

Oil Analysis 19 RAM 1500 Amended.jpg

I'd update the original post, but looks like that is not allowed. Any way to at least edit the title?

The retest reveal a lower viscosity at 100*C, 8.72.

View attachment 104644
That's a huge difference and more in-line with what we expect with the flashpoint being as high as it is, pointing to no real fuel dilution. Thank you for the update!

@racer12306 Sorry if I missed it, but are you taking the oil life monitor right down to 0% or close to it? What miles does that come out to?

I also have a 2019 classic I bought used as an ex-rental in July 2020 with 15K miles on it. I've been using Supertech, Napa or Havoline full synthetic in 5w30 flavor along with $2 Champ filters and changing it at a ~5K miles interval. I've also been using a bottle of Lubegard biotech or a bottle of MoS2 in with the fresh oil here/there. Not every OCI. The additives were an impulse buy early on. Once they're gone, I'm done with them.

Currently 55K miles on it. Used oil drains out dark @ 5K miles with my almost entirely highway usage. (I average 20-23mpg tank to tank hand calc).

I can sporadically get it to tick for 2-3sec on startup under only one circumstance. Start the truck to move it and quickly shut it down. We're talking 10-30sec of run time. On the next restart, it may or may not tick for 2-3sec.

@racer12306 Sorry if I missed it, but are you taking the oil life monitor right down to 0% or close to it? What miles does that come out to?

I also have a 2019 classic I bought used as an ex-rental in July 2020 with 15K miles on it. I've been using Supertech, Napa or Havoline full synthetic in 5w30 flavor along with $2 Champ filters and changing it at a ~5K miles interval. I've also been using a bottle of Lubegard biotech or a bottle of MoS2 in with the fresh oil here/there. Not every OCI. The additives were an impulse buy early on. Once they're gone, I'm done with them.

Currently 55K miles on it. Used oil drains out dark @ 5K miles with my almost entirely highway usage. (I average 20-23mpg tank to tank hand calc).

I can sporadically get it to tick for 2-3sec on startup under only one circumstance. Start the truck to move it and quickly shut it down. We're talking 10-30sec of run time. On the next restart, it may or may not tick for 2-3sec.

Sounds like we have almost the same truck. I have the 6'4" bed.

I have been taking the OLM down to zero, and been slightly over because that usually happens mid week. My driving changed at the beginning of the year to be mainly highway. Prior to that it was no highway, but rural road and would run at least 20 minutes before getting shut off. The first oil change under my ownership was at 7500 because I didn't know what they used before I bought it. The next oil change was an OCI of 9958 miles and was the old driving pattern. Then this one at 10,073 with the new driving pattern.

I can see the color change across the interval. There isn't a point where it "flips a switch" to being dark. The oil is definitely dark at 10000 miles, but not concerning.

There's more to an oil than what the vehicle manufacturer says. Vehicle manufacturer could say 30k OCI but if the oil is worn out through low TBN and oxidation at 10k, what good does that do?

May find this of interest .V.O.A. for each . Near end of video . Not 5w-20 , oh well .

Last edited:
@racer12306

If Hemi's sit for a while, even new ones, they tick loudly for 30 - 60 seconds until oil has been well circulated.
Seems to be worse in the winter.
I've heard 100s do this.
"Its a hemi thing"

If Hemi's sit for a while, even new ones, they tick loudly for 30 - 60 seconds until oil has been well circulated.
Seems to be worse in the winter.
I've heard 100s do this.
"Its a hemi thing"
Mine have never made any noise that long. The RAM does make a clickety-clack every time it cold fires (sits overnight), but that lasts only a second or two. The SRT's have all been quiet, no matter how long they sit.

Reactions: JTK
Correct me if I’m being paranoid, but if Blackstone screws up the first sample with viscosity...retests, results change in the one category of concern, but doesn’t change one single part per million in any other category...does that raise a red flag? Did they really retest or just fill in the viscosity segment with a different number?

I’m asking because I don’t know and I’m skeptical. Because in my mind - and I could be 100% wrong - there would be some sort of minor variations in copper and aluminum in ppm’s, no? Or do they just retest and test only for viscosity?

Back