2019 Polaris Ranger Crew 1000XP

Het guys... bought this machine brand new, in July 2019. Its a 2019 Polaris Ranger Crew 1000. I changed the factory fill at 20 hours as recommended by the Polaris Dealer, refilled with Polaris 5w50 engine oil, and a genuine Polaris Oil Filter. Changed the oil again, 30 hours later, again with the same Polaris genuine OEM oil & filter.

I use the machine in Northern Michigan. In the summer it is very sandy and dusty. Probably average outdoor temperature of 70F. In the winter, it can be as cold as -30F or +30F. The machine has a heater and enclosed cab, so I do actually use it enough in the winter. I don't race it, but it does operate at very high RPM's. Its the CREW (6 seater) or as I like to call it, the school bus. lol. I usually cruise around 30-40mph, 5-6,500 RPMS (thats normal for these but seems so high doesnt it?!).

Now that I have 1000+ miles on it, and 80 hours, it is due for its 3rd oil change. I just purchased a Wix XP oil filter for it, and would like to steer away from the expensive Polaris oil, but am lost as to what oil I should use?? Given the info above, what is recommended?

I know in the 500cc Sportsmans a lot of people use Mobil 1 0W-40. Idk if that is good for your machine? Go on a Ranger forum and ask.

Polaris 5w50 engine oil would probably be a synthetic. I would check and see if Mobil 1 5W50 Racing would meet the spec.

If not, I would turn towards Motul's 300 line, 5w50. But its probably not going to be any cheaper than Polaris oil, but Motul 300 is arguably one of the best oils made.

Looks like 10W50 is as low as they go for winter weight. But this is the best oil out for a "Shared" sump motorcycle engine.

300V² 4T FACTORY LINE 10W50 - Motul

Last edited:
My new Gator calls for 10w30. Polaris seems to have special needs. Do they still require different oils for the front and rear diff?

I would probably stick with the Polaris oil even though it's expensive. My fiancé's son has a 2015 900 Razr and he is super hard on it. He bought it new and has always used the Polaris 5W-50 oil and has not had any engine issues due to the oil. Just a broken belt once.

He just bought a new 2021 Ranger 1000 4x4 with the cab that has heat and AC, roll up side windows, winch, radio, and a front window the unlatches and pops up. Very nice rig. I'm sure he will be sticking with the Polaris oil in it as well.

I run Amsoil in my 900 XP doesn’t use any between changes like it did with Polaris oil. I use the gear lube for it also one lube for everything.

I dont I run the Amsoil gear oil for the Ranger with no problems 2013 Ranger 900 got 500 hours and over 4300 miles with no issue.
Any polaris that has a separate rear diff from the trans takes gear oil in the rear diff. Regular gear oil is to thick for the front diff. Some guys run 75w90 in the rear trans axles but I'm still on the fence about that. Factory Polaris trans fluid is not that heavy.

Any polaris that has a separate rear diff from the trans takes gear oil in the rear diff. Regular gear oil is to thick for the front diff. Some guys run 75w90 in the rear trans axles but I'm still on the fence about that. Factory Polaris trans fluid is not that heavy.
Not gear oil whatever it is they call it thats what I run in mine with no problems.

Its ATV/UTV Synthetic Powertrain Fluid in the front and rear and have for a long time with no issue or funny noise runs normal.

I did a low tech test on motor oil. I bought some Polaris 5w-50 PS4, and also some Castrol 5w-50. (The pricing on the PS4 just seemed like gouging to me.) This would be in preparation for my first oil change on a brand new Ranger 1000. Polaris claims their oil is good down to 40 below F. There was no similar info on the Castrol that I could find. So I took advantage of cold weather we were having. I left a quart of each outside on a -20 degree F night. And when I poured a little of each out the next morning, the Polaris oil was noticeably more runny. To me, that translates to better engine protection for cold weather starts in northern Wisconsin. So, for now, I am going to stick with the expensive PS4.

I would have liked to try Amsoil as well, but found none available locally in 5w-50. But I did read about Amsoil's oil that is supposed to work in both the front differential, and the gear box. But Polaris sells different viscosity oils for the front differential (Polaris Demand Drive Oil) and the gear box (Polaris AGL oil). I saw a video that someone did which showed how much more runny the Demand Drive oil is than AGL. My theory is that if I buy an oil from someone other than the equipment manufacturer, I want them to mimic the Factory oils as closely as possible. Since Amsoil obviously did not do this, it makes me question all their products.

Since I will get three differential oil changes out of the Demand Drive Oil quart, the high price is not so excessive. It just gripes me to overpay, regardless. But sometimes it only makes sense to bite the bullet.

That is a horrible filter choice, at least if you value filtration. And you should based on the conditions in which you operate.
Efficiency Compairson Graph Pic 2.jpg

I did a low tech test on motor oil. I bought some Polaris 5w-50 PS4, and also some Castrol 5w-50. (The pricing on the PS4 just seemed like gouging to me.) This would be in preparation for my first oil change on a brand new Ranger 1000. Polaris claims their oil is good down to 40 below F. There was no similar info on the Castrol that I could find. So I took advantage of cold weather we were having. I left a quart of each outside on a -20 degree F night. And when I poured a little of each out the next morning, the Polaris oil was noticeably more runny. To me, that translates to better engine protection for cold weather starts in northern Wisconsin. So, for now, I am going to stick with the expensive PS4.

I would have liked to try Amsoil as well, but found none available locally in 5w-50. But I did read about Amsoil's oil that is supposed to work in both the front differential, and the gear box. But Polaris sells different viscosity oils for the front differential (Polaris Demand Drive Oil) and the gear box (Polaris AGL oil). I saw a video that someone did which showed how much more runny the Demand Drive oil is than AGL. My theory is that if I buy an oil from someone other than the equipment manufacturer, I want them to mimic the Factory oils as closely as possible. Since Amsoil obviously did not do this, it makes me question all their products.

Since I will get three differential oil changes out of the Demand Drive Oil quart, the high price is not so excessive. It just gripes me to overpay, regardless. But sometimes it only makes sense to bite the bullet.
The front differential polaris uses is made by hilliard. John Deere also uses the hilliard differential in their gators. Its been said that hilliard fills them with John Deere low viscosity hygard from the factory regardless if they are going to John Deere or Polaris. You can get a gallon of the John Deere fluid for about the same money as a quart of the polaris stuff. Regardless of what fluid you decide to use in the front diff I would recommend keeping it changed at least once a year if not more if you use the machine a lot. A few ounces of fluid is a lot cheaper than a rebuild or a new one.

There was a guy that had a sample of the polaris trans fluid analyzed years ago. It came back looking a lot like a 5W20 motor oil. Before polaris had their own oil they just recommended using 30 weight oil in the transmission. Some guys are just using 5W20 engine oil, some are using tractor transmission fluid and others are using gear oil. From the research I have done gear oil is too thick because of the type of chains used in these transmissions. I am just using 10W30 tractor transmission fluid in mine and it seems to work fine.

I should also mention I have been using the Amsoil 0W40 ATV oil in all of polaris machines for over a decade now with good results.

The front differential polaris uses is made by hilliard. John Deere also uses the hilliard differential in their gators. Its been said that hilliard fills them with John Deere low viscosity hygard from the factory regardless if they are going to John Deere or Polaris. You can get a gallon of the John Deere fluid for about the same money as a quart of the polaris stuff. Regardless of what fluid you decide to use in the front diff I would recommend keeping it changed at least once a year if not more if you use the machine a lot. A few ounces of fluid is a lot cheaper than a rebuild or a new one.

There was a guy that had a sample of the polaris trans fluid analyzed years ago. It came back looking a lot like a 5W20 motor oil. Before polaris had their own oil they just recommended using 30 weight oil in the transmission. Some guys are just using 5W20 engine oil, some are using tractor transmission fluid and others are using gear oil. From the research I have done gear oil is too thick because of the type of chains used in these transmissions. I am just using 10W30 tractor transmission fluid in mine and it seems to work fine.

I should also mention I have been using the Amsoil 0W40 ATV oil in all of polaris machines for over a decade now with good results.
Do any of those machines have a wet clutch? Thinking of using it in my Cfmoto but it has a wet clutch.

I bought two 5 liter bottles of Motul 8100 online at Walmart for $90. Delivered to my house.

Back