2019 Pathfinder MAF sensor issues

JTK

Nissan quality strikes me again! :oops:

I get a frantic call from the bride last night that our 2019 Pathfinder is barely running, the engine sounds funny and dash lights are on. She's got 3 kids and the dog with her no less.. Since she was really close to the local Nissan dealer, I suggested she get it there and I'd meet her. It was about 9pm.

I got there and started the Pathfinder. The engine was stumbling badly and the CEL was on steady. I revved the engine a few times and it suddenly smoothed right out. Ran it around the lot and all was well. Plugged my code reader in and the only code was P0101. "Mass or Volume Air Flow 'A' Circuit Range/Performance.” Since it was good for now, I followed her home in it.

I have read of issues with this on other Nissans, but didn't expect it on a 2019 with 38K miles.

I pulled the sensor out of the air duct today to inspect it. It's spotless, as is the air filter, ducting and throttle body from what I can see. The MAF sensor is made by hitachi and is kind of a weird cartridge looking thing, where you can't see any fragile bits, just some open slots in the rectangular cartridge. I wouldn't know what to spray with a MAF cleaner other than the whole thing and hope for the best. Regardless, I mail ordered a new one off Amazon for $34. Another Hitachi. I had read that Nissan charges $300+ to diag and replace them. It's a 5min job taking your time.

Meanwhile the code is clear and it's running fine. From what I've read, in some cases 2017+ pathfinders won't run at all with a faulty MAF, but you can unplug it and it will run fine, you'll just have the CEL until you replace it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thank you for that Sir!

Like mentioned above, I am beyond the 3/36 warranty. This is not covered by the 5/60 warranty.

So weird that it ran like absolute poop, but then cleared up after I revved the engine.
Software glitch.

Toyota covers all powertrain-related reflashes for the duration of the emissions warranty, which is as long as 10/150K in CA. Technically this is an emissions issue (since it prevents the vehicle from passing smog) so I would check to see if it can be covered under the federal emissions warranty.

Reactions: JTK
This is covered under the Federal EMISSIONS warranty. The Federal Emissions Warranty can cover emissions related component repairs for vehicles up to 8 years old or up to 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. .

Thanks, I'd imagine the re-flash would be a freebee.

Just checked my owner's manual. It specifically states the MAF for a 2019 Nissan Pathfinder is covered by the federal emissions warranty, but only for 3/36. ECM, Catalytic converters, exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, throttle body and maybe 5-6 other things are covered by 8/80.

This is covered under the Federal EMISSIONS warranty. The Federal Emissions Warranty can cover emissions related component repairs for vehicles up to 8 years old or up to 80,000 miles, whichever comes first. .

True, but it's model specific in terms of which components are covered. They're all different. I know it's been different for the various vehicles I've owned over the years.

Just because it won't pass an emissions test doesn't mean every emissions associated component is covered for 8/80.

Nissan spells out exactly which components are covered for 8/80 or 3/36 and the MAF sensor is not one of the 8/80 components.

I've read of 2017+ pathfinder owners on another site being quoted over $300 for a MAF replacement and they were just beyond 36K miles.

I may be reluctantly scheduling a dealer visit.

8 months later, almost to to the day and the same thing happened to the 2019 Pathfinder today. As the bride was out and about I got a message from my Allstate Drivewise dongle that the pathfinder set a code. About the same time she called me saying there were yellow lights on the dash. None were a flashing engine icon thankfully and she said it was running OK. Code was P0101. "Mass Airflow (MAF) Circuit Operating Range or Performance Problem".

I tested it when she got home and the idle was horrible. I revved it up a couple of times like I did last time to see how the engine responds/sounds and it died and wouldn't fire like it was out of fuel.

I unplugged the MAF sensor and it will start and run mostly OK, but the idle is a little bouncy. Codes are P0101, P0103, P0113.

I'll plug the MAF sensor back in once the engine cools back down and see if the problem persists.

I've got the above TSB printed out and ready to go. LOL

I may be reluctantly scheduling a dealer visit.

8 months later, almost to to the day and the same thing happened to the 2019 Pathfinder today. As the bride was out and about I got a message from my Allstate Drivewise dongle that the pathfinder set a code. About the same time she called me saying there were yellow lights on the dash. None were a flashing engine icon thankfully and she said it was running OK. Code was P0101. "Mass Airflow (MAF) Circuit Operating Range or Performance Problem".

I tested it when she got home and the idle was horrible. I revved it up a couple of times like I did last time to see how the engine responds/sounds and it died and wouldn't fire like it was out of fuel.

I unplugged the MAF sensor and it will start and run mostly OK, but the idle is a little bouncy. Codes are P0101, P0103, P0113.

I'll plug the MAF sensor back in once the engine cools back down and see if the problem persists.

I've got the above TSB printed out and ready to go. LOL
It is unfortunate that Nissan doesn't cover this beyond 3/36. Toyota covers all of their powertrain related flashes under the emissions warranty. In CA, that can be as long as 10/150K.

Reactions: JTK
I don't exactly know if they'll cover the reflash or not. Maybe they will.

I do know that if they try to sell me a new MAF sensor, that's not covered based on the warranty literature in the OM and other folks I've chatted with that had this or similar problems.

The TSB clearly states to not replace the MAF if your ECM part number is on the list.

I have no problem saying no to all the add-ons they may try at ~47K miles, it's just the whole process I dread.

I have no problem saying no to all the add-ons they may try at ~47K miles, it's just the whole process I dread.
Air/Fuel Induction Service
HVAC deodorizing service
Brake Fluid Flush
Alignment
Filters
Drive belts
Wipers

:ROFLMAO:

Ugh.. Plot thickens. It barely runs with the MAF sensor unplugged. I pulled the upper air cleaner housing to swap MAFs and found the Napa Pro Select air filter not seated properly in the air cleaner housing. I found the same thing with the air filter that was in the vehicle when I bought it used at 1yr old, 24K miles. The clean side of the air cleaner housing has some visible dust. I'm wondering if this got to the MAF.. Running to parts store now to try something other than a pro select.

Fixed. Hopefully for good. I feel like a real dummy. I vacuumed out the air cleaner housing, put the new MAF sensor in and a new air filter. She runs like a top and I cleared the codes.

I picked up a Carquest Premium air filter because stupid Napa didn't have anything other than the Pro Selects in stock. Pro Selects don't have wire mesh on the clean side of the filter and in my case, causes the filter to sag into the housing and not seal properly. The CQ Premium 88116 is a perfect fit. See how the Napa Pro Select filter is distorted in the pics below.
5wfmkXRl.jpg

A7jPTsYl.jpg

Back