2014 Frontier Problems

2014 frontier. 140k miles. Pretty basic truck. Crank windows etc. Automatic, 2wd, 4 cyl. Not that it matters probably.

Anyway we have a few issues.

1. Horn button inop so we wired one on the dash.

2. Airbag light flashing all the time.

3. Code p1564 - "acsd switch"

4. Code p0101 - "maf sensor"

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm assuming 1-3 are related. Previous mechanic diag bad clock spring causing issues #1-3 but I can't find this part anywhere.

As for $4, there is a TSB that involves reflashing the ECM. However our specific year and engine size is NOT in that TSB unless I'm reading it wrong? Confused! MAF sensor has been changed repeatedly with both Blue streak (aftermarket) and Hitachi (the OE supplier) and the code comes back.

Does it have cruise control? I thought the ASCD switch was only for the CC buttons, but either way, it and the horn would need to go through the clock spring.

Nissans can be a bit finicky with MAFs. Is the air cleaner all original and the air filter fitment 100% perfect?

I had MAF issues several times with my 2019 Pathfinder and even replaced the MAF once. Turns out my aftermarket air filter was sagging in the housing and allowing unfiltered air to pass.

The steering angle sensor is a common Nissan part, P/N 47945-AS500. They're available at every Nissan dealer in the world. They're not free so expect to pay. The MAF issue might require the replacement of the entire throttle body. Neither of these issues that you mention are going to be cheap to fix so be prepared.

Attachments

• Steering angle sensor.JPG
    Steering angle sensor.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 13
  • sensor.JPG
    sensor.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 13
Any chance the MAF is somehow wired through the clockspring?

On the late 90s/early 00s Jeeps it's not uncommon to have a TPS code when the clockspring goes bad.

the horn issue is more than likely the air bag clock spring, my 2013 tacomas horn recently went out and it seems to need a new clock spring at 132k miles, the OEM part is $213 best online price or risk buying an EBAY chinese part $30 which can cause more issues and seldom work for more than 2 years

Like FowVay suggested above, I believe the clock spring is termed steering angle sensor in Nissan world. Not too long ago Eric O from SMA did a video on replacing one one an Xterra of the same vintage. I don't recall what the symptoms/issues were on that vehicle though..

In terms of the MAF concern possibly needed a new TB, I cant wrap my melon around that one yet...

Any chance the MAF is somehow wired through the clockspring?

On the late 90s/early 00s Jeeps it's not uncommon to have a TPS code when the clockspring goes bad.
Never heard of that and I worked at a jeep dealer for 10 years…

I had a p101, and did the same as you; changed out the MAF, but with the aftermarket part, it ran worse, so I reinstalled the factory orginal. Turns out the issue was a cracked air intake hose, between the airbox and throttle body. And since the TSB regarding the reflashing of the ECM applied to my engine model (MR20DE), I had the dealership go ahead and perform that procedure since it hadn't been done.

The P0101 code is "MAF circuit out of range or performance fault" which isn't necessarily the MAF sensor itself, just that readings are outside the programmed parameters. The voltage reading is either too high, too low, or possibly both. Airflow is measured in voltage, so anything outside of the parameters either high or low, will cause the fault code.

It could be a bad connector, ground wire, or the intake hose. I forgot the exact website I looked up the code on, but you can put something in like "2014 Nissan Frontier P0101" in bing or google.

Last edited:
Never heard of that and I worked at a jeep dealer for 10 years…

It's fairly common one they hit some age. But if you were working on new stuff, nothing was worn out. One of those weird things where the clockspring goes bad and messes up a shared ground.

Thanks all, I will remove the air intake tube and air filter and inspect it all very carefully. What I find interesting is the first time the MAF code came on it was sudden. The person driving the vehicle reported it lost power (limp mode). Turning it off and on again made it drive normally but it's had the P0101 ever since.

As for the "steering angle sensor" well I will with South Main Auto's video on the topic. EricO is great.

Back