2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost.

Anybody else experience the occasional blue smoke on start up? Every now and then I get blue smoke on a cold start. It’s been hard to pinpoint exactly when it will happen because it’s seemingly random under different driving conditions. This truck only has 11,000 miles on it but seeing blue smoke out of a new truck is a little concerning to me.

I'd say catch a video of that, and take it to the dealer. I suspect valve seals since you're only seeing it at startup.

Others will chime in I’m sure, but iirc this can be caused by bad bearing seals in a turbocharger. In any event, not a bad thing to document with the dealer while under warranty.

TSB 20-2423 is for Excessive oil consumption. It has the technician replace the valve covers with updated assemblies. It may or may not apply to you.

neighbor just dumped his 2015 i believe needing ANOTHER timing chain!! WHY people buy expensive complicated overpriced 4WD tanks is beyond me when a simpler naturally aspirated version is available!!! good luck but today its buyer BEWARE + with lots of forums its easy to research BEFORE a big $$$$ purchase. hope you have a decent dealer that takes care of it for you!

Reactions: JC1
Ford sells hundreds of thousands of these yearly. Selling THAT many of a product of course there is going to be internet noise about failures.

neighbor just dumped his 2015 i believe needing ANOTHER timing chain!! WHY people buy expensive complicated overpriced 4WD tanks is beyond me when a simpler naturally aspirated version is available!!! good luck but today its buyer BEWARE + with lots of forums its easy to research BEFORE a big $$$$ purchase. hope you have a decent dealer that takes care of it for you!
The timing chain issues are completely preventable.

Some of us are old enough to remember the 1960's and 70's cars that experienced worn timing chains at 50,000 miles. And some that went 200,000 miles without a hitch. Just like then, the oil choice, viscosity choice and oil change interval were key.

The EB engines are well known for fuel dilution, high soot loads and extended oil change intervals. Let's be as clear as possible, at 5000 miles the typical EB engine has enough fuel dilution and particulate matter in the oil to be detrimental. Letting that oil remain for an additional 5000 miles will result in chain wear. Period, end of story.

Anybody else experience the occasional blue smoke on start up? Every now and then I get blue smoke on a cold start. It’s been hard to pinpoint exactly when it will happen because it’s seemingly random under different driving conditions. This truck only has 11,000 miles on it but seeing blue smoke out of a new truck is a little concerning to me.

Turbocharged engines are known for smoke on startup. It's not at all unusual for turbochargers to seep some oil into the exhaust. It's also common for oil and oil films to build up in the intake. Parking on an incline can make it worse.

It's good to remember how a turbocharger seals the exhaust side. There is no "lip" seal, "O" Ring or other positive sealing device. There are metal "rings" (sometimes just one) that look like small piston rings, and they prevent gross blow-by into the turbo and gross oil loss out of the turbo. Oil can find it's way past this seal and drip into the exhaust scroll. Where it burns off upon startup.

It's good to keep in mind that a quality synthetic oil will help prevent hot side "coking" and subsequent smoking.

The last picture shows the coking that happens with conventional oils. Most modern turbochargers are very tolerant of this (designed to accommodate coking) and will not fail quickly on cheap oil. Just keep in mind that the problem is in essence, completely prevented with a high quality synthetic, changed regularly.

IMG_3769.jpg

proxy-image

proxy-image

Last edited:
Turbocharged engines are known for smoke on startup. It's not at all unusual for turbochargers to seep some oil into the exhaust. It's also common for oil and oil films to build up in the intake. Parking on an incline can make it worse.

It's good to remember how a turbocharger seals the exhaust side. There is no "lip" seal, "O" Ring or other positive sealing device. There are metal "rings" (sometimes just one) that look like small piston rings, and they prevent gross blow-by into the turbo and gross oil loss out of the turbo. Oil can find it's way past this seal and drip into the exhaust scroll. Where it burns off upon startup.

It's good to keep in mind that a quality synthetic oil will help prevent hot side "coking" and subsequent smoking.

The last picture shows the coking that happens with conventional oils. Most modern turbochargers are very tolerant of this (designed to accommodate coking) and will not fail quickly on cheap oil. Just keep in mind that the problem is in essence, completely prevented with a high quality synthetic, changed regularly.

IMG_3769.jpg

proxy-image

proxy-image
That’s good information. I hadn’t heard it’s commonplace for turbos to smoke on startup.

Back