Tacoma 2.7 2019 timing chain tension

The rattle, along with extended oil pressure light duration is rather odd. I don’t think a tensioner would cause that. They do not hold much oil and build pressure rapidly, 40-50 seconds doesn’t seem right.

Perhaps the rattle is a symptom rather then the cause. The oil pump may be loosing pressure. I wonder at what psi it runs.
Yes I believe it definitely has to do with oil pressure ...... I'm getting ready to dive in this weekend

Oil pressure test is first on my check list

Studying up the camshaft pulleys now

Try floorboarding the throttle on start. This will put the engine in flood mode and won’t inject fuel. Crank for about 10 sec and release the throttle and the engine will start. See if that lessens the noise. If it does, the oil is leaking down during parking for longer periods. At that point, you can determine were the leak down is.

Try floorboarding the throttle on start. This will put the engine in flood mode and won’t inject fuel. Crank for about 10 sec and release the throttle and the engine will start. See if that lessens the noise. If it does, the oil is leaking down during parking for longer periods. At that point, you can determine were the leak down is.

I do not think these Toyota's have that. I would definitely only try it when the engine is warm to see if it does!

And i did break from my normal filters a few changes ago just in case .......no change
STP premium silver can up to about 75k
Toyota genuine (denso) no change
Mobil 102 no change
Fram orange no change

Currently running Yota genuine filter and
Mobil 0w20 full syn ......worse than ever

I do not believe it to be an oil issue in the sense that the truck was not neglected or abused
Always had MAJOR problem with Thai Denso toyota filters.
Get a good low efficiency can on there. Leave the oil in nd replace what drained out with the filter change with that 0W40FS Mobil 1.

The excellent Champ labs was a go-to for budget spin on's- but I hate E core garbage with valid reasoning.
So next best bet would be a Wix I suppose.

Also next fill run a 5W30 like Quaker state Full Synthetic or Motorcaft for a conventional.

It also seems like a pan drop is in your future. I NEVER got a low OP light. I would guess this might be impossible with the engine in place,

Last edited:
Tried a few different filters just for fun I'm going to get a random different brand today .......

But after trying the
Mobil
Fram
Toyota
STP
And still getting the same results I should be buying lottery tickets

Went out today and fired her up in the cold rattled good for about 4 to 5 seconds oil pressure light came one as expected now for 1 to 2 seconds went off idled for about 5 to ten seconds then came up again as a mere flash just long enough to see ......idled about 8 to 10 seconds making more noise than it should but not the initial rattle ......I let it idle for 10 min in the drive drove it today just to see what it shows

Two small service calls and each start up sounds 100% fine no chatter/rattle breaking for lunch now and I suspect it will fire up zero noise after an hour lunch break

Went and randomly started it up today ......it had been sitting 3 days outside ambient air temp was 61 degrees definitely rattled for about 12sec no low oil light at all

Piston slap normally happens on cold start only. If the engine is really worn, piston slap can happen all the time but that is severe and I don't think this is the case for your engine. Here are a few threads discussing piston slap on the Tacoma 2.7:
Piston slap
2.7L engine knock
2.7 Piston Slap (again)
2.7L cold start rattle?
Cold start knock - long term
Scary stuff I must admit...... I have located the oil sensor and am going to let it sit for a few days and see what the tester shows and a few various other things before I go deeper yet

Thank you for the info I'm taking it all in

One additional note to consider this truck spends a lot of the winter in cold start up temperatures frequently in the teens so......when outside temps get a little warmer I will try some 0w40 again

I'm guessing VVT gears are the sound but the cause may be the solenoid itself or the wiring too it. I have seen that there are screens on the side of the engine. My thoughts are that oil is slowed getting to the gears and once the oil gets there the noise stops.

If the oil light accompanies the rattle, I'm not sure you're looking at a top end problem.

Is the pump losing it's prime? Maybe a leak at the oil pickup tube? I suppose you could easily test that theory by, just for testing purposes, overfill the engine so that the level rises above the pickup-pump connection and see if symptoms disappear.

Yes Sir its pretty strange it started it at about 80k and was just a whisper at first now its concerning also gives the low oil light on very cold days for about 5 sec
The oil light staying on for 5 seconds is concerning. Even on the coldest days here, the light goes out almost immediately (though that's only been since I switched over to synthetic some years ago).

I wonder if there might be a problem with the anti-drainback valve on the oil filter.

Back