2019 Escape 1.5L No Engine Cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I moved on from my company 2016 Fusion SE 2.0L AWD - which was a pretty awesome daily driver.
(It's going to one of the project managers)

In the Fall, I ordered a 2019 Escape SE AWD 1.5L Ecoboost. I went with the Escape as I play in a couple of bands and wanted easier space to load my kick drum and hardware and sound equipment.

I picked the Escape up on Sat morning. I got her home to check it out and found no engine cover. I called the receiving dealer (different dealer where I usually buy my trucks) and sure enough, Ford doesn't install one. I reviewed several dealer websites of 2019 Escape pictures and didn't see one in their pics.

In a day when every car has a Darth Vader helmet, I found it strange. Why do you think this is? I was thinking it was maybe for heat? The 1.5L turbo specs 5W20 oil.

Maybe they want them to run a little cooler, or they're saving a few $$ on each unit. I take the engine cover off my Rubicon in the spring and leave it off until the fall. I'm an old timer and some of these engines run a little hotter than I'm used to.

Last edited:
same with my Jetta. it seems that most other VW engines have a cover but not the 1.4 Tsi. I almost called the dealer - but first looked for mounting points (there were none) and looked for photos online. my first thought is it's a cost-saving measure - but clearly I'm just guessing.

My 2018 Accord doesn't have one. However, the 2017 Elantra and 2017 Sonata I had did, as did my ATS. My Grand Am and 2010 Taurus did not though.

Man...I've had too many cars.

Engine covers are typically used for marketing and pedestrian crash protection (helps cushion a pedestrian if they land on your hood). No engine function.

They have disappeared from some engines on the F150 in 2019 too. To the point that Ford issued a notice that this was normal, and no, the factory did not forget something.

Originally Posted by knerml
Engine covers are typically used for marketing and pedestrian crash protection (helps cushion a pedestrian if they land on your hood). No engine function.

I did not know of the pedestrian connection. Interesting.

Certainly, some engine covers are insulated and may reduce engine noise.

I think some of the covers are there to suppress direct injection noise - hpfp and the injectors themselves. But ridding cars of the covers could help with flat rate repair times, something less to do?

The 1.5 came with a thick flexible rubber engine cover. Had to help a bit with sound deadening. Less heat and or cost a reason for the change? Also with a complete new Escape coming later this year ..who knows?

If I remember right the only car I had with an engine cover was my 1999 Crown Vic. I was [censored] off one day and just tore it off and threw it away. Then my 07 Crown Vic didn't come with one, probably because it was a cop car.

The cover probably helps with keeping heat and noise in. To some small degree. But it probably costs pennies to make in the scheme of things, so OEM's are free to add when they need just a bit more performance. Or leave off when they need a bit less cost.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by knerml

I did not know of the pedestrian connection. Interesting.

Neither did I; never heard it either. Hmmmm.

Generally, I don't like the covers. I'd much rather look at fine machinery than a sheet of silly plastic. I find them actually a bit irritating when they have faux features molded into them like intake runners, etc. As if I'm dumb enough to think there's some function there... I've left the one on my wife's Avalon in place solely because it's nice and horizontal-flat on top and makes a great place to put the filler cap, towels, oil jugs, etc when working on it.

The one on my old 98 Buick Regal GS was the most unfortunate of all. Why anyone would want to cover up that supercharger is beyond me?!? It was like a big, bold and functional piece of sculpture sitting right up on top of the engine! Just made me want to check the oil again -- so I could look at the thing.
wink.gif
THAT cover went away immediately...
grin.gif
cool.gif
And I never noticed that it was doing much to muffle the blower or the engine beneath it.
21.gif

Last edited:
They make the 3.2 in the cherokee run hotter.. no upside really except looks AFAIK.

The factory evidently forgot to install one on my 1954 Chevy.

I tried running the Toyota without it, but ended up putting it back, in case it helps minimize dirt landing on the valve cover. It's extremely easy to remove or replace, so not a significant labor factor, and is very light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back