2019 1.5L Escape--engine replaced under warranty

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
I was surprised how painless dealing with this one was, I suspect Ford is trying to keep quiet about it.

Noticed the Escape was low on coolant at the first oil change, figured it may have been low from the factory as I had never checked before so I topped it off and marked the reservoir. 1500 miles later it was about an inch low in the tank, took it to the dealer.

Left it there at noon for diagnosis, service advisor called at 8 AM the next morning saying they had a short block on order, supposedly a new revised deck and head gasket, would be done the next week. Got it back yesterday. I'll keep an eye on it but will probably end up selling or trading it off before the warranty is up.

I'm happy with the service but disappointed with Ford, the last three new Fords I've had since 2012 have all been seriously lacking in quality. The last new one I really liked was my '06 Explorer 4.6, and I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon. Just had it painted and went over the interior, it's like brand new.

The rental car my dealer arranged was a 2020 Jeep Grank Cherokee Trailhawk. I liked it so much that it may be my next new car.

How many miles total when you went in?
~9000 miles. I first noticed it low when I changed the oil at 7300. Made an appointment at the dealer 1500 miles later when I noticed it low again, took another week before they could get it in the shop.

I don’t understand why the disappointment- every mass-produced product has duds or mistakes every ‘x’ units, Ford realized they had one, and fixed it.

I’d be ecstatic with how painless that was!!!

Now, if it happens again, sure, it’s a bad product causing inconveniences...but once and fixed without hassle? That’s a win, bud.

I don’t understand why the disappointment- every mass-produced product has duds or mistakes every ‘x’ units, Ford realized they had one, and fixed it.

I’d be ecstatic with how painless that was!!!

Now, if it happens again, sure, it’s a bad product causing inconveniences...but once and fixed without hassle? That’s a win, bud.
It's not about this particular incident, it's about repeated major problems on multiple vehicles.

My 2012 F-250 Lariat had every piece of interior trim flaking off and literally disintegrating by the time it was two years old. Ford told me to get lost and it was "normal wear." Cost me a couple thousand dollars for new plastic. New interior never had a problem, it was a defective batch. Same truck had three coil packs die before 100k and the steering wheel controls never worked right from day one. The rear end was replaced under warranty at 65k of nothing but normal highway driving towing loads well under what the truck was rated for. By four years old in central Florida, the paint was flaking off in the door jambs and under the hood from corrosion. Ford refused to repair it under the corrosion warranty because the metal was not perforated.

The '19 Lariat that replaced it has already been having climate control issues and excessive moisture in the cab, at 5k miles the leather on the driver's seat was chipping, along with a nasty rattle on startup from the timing chains.

It's just poor quality control and I have always really liked Ford, but they are ruining it and I am far from the only one having problems. My next work truck will be a pre-1980 Dodge.

Seems like a lot of these tiny turbocharged engines from a wide variety of manufacturers seem to have issues. I'd rather get the new block and updated head gasket than an oil burner. If I buy an Escape, it will be used with a 2.5L engine.

I'm sure that eventually they will all get their small turboed engines right someday.

I was surprised how painless dealing with this one was, I suspect Ford is trying to keep quiet about it.

Noticed the Escape was low on coolant at the first oil change, figured it may have been low from the factory as I had never checked before so I topped it off and marked the reservoir. 1500 miles later it was about an inch low in the tank, took it to the dealer.

Left it there at noon for diagnosis, service advisor called at 8 AM the next morning saying they had a short block on order, supposedly a new revised deck and head gasket, would be done the next week. Got it back yesterday. I'll keep an eye on it but will probably end up selling or trading it off before the warranty is up.

I'm happy with the service but disappointed with Ford, the last three new Fords I've had since 2012 have all been seriously lacking in quality. The last new one I really liked was my '06 Explorer 4.6, and I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon. Just had it painted and went over the interior, it's like brand new.

The rental car my dealer arranged was a 2020 Jeep Grank Cherokee Trailhawk. I liked it so much that it may be my next new car.

Ford is a global company and has frankly done a magnificent job of developing a product line which meets the demands of both domestic(decent power) and foreign(great gas mileage) customers. In most countries where the 1.5 or 1L ecoboost engine is sold, fuel cost is 4 times what it is in the US.

That said, when every engine you sell has a power adder on it, some are going to pop.

Back