Replaced battery in 2019 Jetta.

Then you just change 1 digit in the battery serial number.

I don't think it's that simple, at least not when I replaced the battery in my Audi S5 myself and I had a VAG-Com. Since you own several VAG cars I think it is safe to say that you are familiar with VAG-Com from Ross-Tech? As you know, the interface itself is not cheap and not everyone has or will want one. Anyway, there is a reason why BMW, MB and VAG dealers are able to charge so much for a battery replacement.

I don't think it's that simple, at least not when I replaced the battery in my Audi S5 myself and I had a VAG-Com. Since you own several VAG cars I think it is safe to say that you are familiar with VAG-Com from Ross-Tech? As you know, the interface itself is not cheap and not everyone has or will want one. Anyway, there is a reason why BMW, MB and VAG dealers are able to charge so much for a battery replacement.
You can do it with Carista or OBDEleven which are much. much cheaper and more user-friendly. I've been using Carista with my Taos to customize some stuff and the battery recode is a function in it. I wanted one of them for the customization features, the ability to reset the battery serial, and release the parking brake for brake jobs are just nice side benefits.

I'm just surprised you didn't charge up the battery or get it load tested instead of just assuming it was bad. I killed my battery last year just from sitting in the car too long eating take out and having the radio/seat heaters on without the engine running. Charged it back up and it's been fine for the last year.

Anyway, there is a reason why BMW, MB and VAG dealers are able to charge so much for a battery replacement.
I don't think MB does anything too crazy with their batteries requiring registration, they just charge a lot because they can....

I'm just surprised you didn't charge up the battery or get it load tested instead of just assuming it was bad. I killed my battery last year just from sitting in the car too long eating take out and having the radio/seat heaters on without the engine running. Charged it back up and it's been fine for the last year.

I don't think MB does anything too crazy with their batteries requiring registration, they just charge a lot because they can....
I had a mavis I brought one of my previous cars to for a tire rotation try to claim my battery was completely dead and they had to replace it right then. They tried to claim it had like 50CCA. It was 10*F that morning when I left and it started perfectly fine. They got nasty with me when I said I'd get a second opinion. Afterwards I took it to advance and they tested it and it tested out just fine. That was a 5 year old battery as well. I kept the car another year after that and never had any issues with it.

Different vehicle....Gf has a '19 Civic & the original battery died last month, 19k miles on the car. It obviously wouldn't start & said Electric Parking Brake Malfunction. Jump starting worked fine. Dealer said they've been having to replace a lot of them. No warranty on 2nd battery 😂

My 6yr/72k warranty is expired by mileage on 2018 Tiguan. The 2019 has one also and would it have not covered the battery replacement?

I would still like to know the exact, correct reason for this... Not a "guess".

Because if it's true, I'll start locking my vehicles while in the garage. But I would think it would be the opposite. Because the alarm isn't activated when the vehicle is unlocked.

I don't know. I thought it was suspect when I was first told about it too, but I can tell you from experience at least on earlier models that after a week of not driving a VW it makes a difference. I haven't tested it on the new Jetta because we are just in the habit of locking it.

VW has had this in their manual for quite a while.

If the car in question is indeed driven practically daily this probably isn't an issue.

If your vehicles are not VW then i would consult the owners manual to see if there is any mention of something similar.

It depends on the car and how its battery management is set up. If it has module/address 61, you need a BEM code. If the battery management is integrated into address 19, you can just specify the size of the battery and change the SN by one digit or make up your own.
My 6yr/72k warranty is expired by mileage on 2018 Tiguan. The 2019 has one also and would it have not covered the battery replacement?
Apparently the battery is/was 36/36, such is still really good for being included in a new car warranty.

I use to lock all my cars sitting in my garage for at least twenty years
and wouldn't even think about it. Why not just do it? If you're going
to drive it you're probably taking the key with you. Don't you, guys?

It depends on the car and how its battery management is set up. If it has module/address 61, you need a BEM code. If the battery management is integrated into address 19, you can just specify the size of the battery and change the SN by one digit or make up your own.

Apparently the battery is/was 36/36, such is still really good for being included in a new car warranty.

It was a few years ago and the car was a 2011 S5 Cabriolet. I do not remember the exact details to how I proceed with the re-coding. But going from your description, I would say the module/address 61 is more familiar to me than address 19 because that's what I had to do, input a new BEM code that's on the battery as instructed by the members of AudiWorld and Audizine forums.

simply put her car NEEDS to driven more or at least monthly battery charge. in colder weather a charger must warm the battery first to charge so at least a 24 hr charge. all my rides have older batteries + being retired + its winter time i only drive as needed + my C-Tek muse 4.3 keeps all the batteries HAPPY. just moved it to my 2013 Vic Hammer with OE battery!! it charges most anything via various settings, best charger i ever had!

I would think that is in reference to the temperature inside of a closed outdoor garage in Florida in the summer being akin to being in a solar oven.

One of the best Electonics Engineers I ever worked with one day told me that most chemical reactions happen twice as fast for every increase of 10 degree C ( 18 degree F ) . And while chemistry was not what his doctorate was in, he was unbelievably right about almost anything he did or said. I do not know the exact relation to speeds of chemical processes and suspect that it might be more tied to the distance that the temperatures are from absolute zero. But any way you look at it, the average ambient temperature that the battery is exposed to has a huge effect on how fast the chemistry of it ( think acid ) causes things to wear out.

Take that same battery and put it in an identical vehicle and park it in an underground garage ( something almost unheard of in Florida ), and with only a change in average ambient temperature of being 18 F lower the battery may very well last twice as long.

As another example, batteries in Arizona do not last long.

So, the question about if it was parked in a closed garage is a good one, especially considering that the OP is in Florida.

And if it is kept in an outdoor garage, it might be a good idea to look at how hot it gets in that garage on summer day, and means of reducing that temperature such as ventilations methods.

Also, hot ambient temperature storage of vehicles can degrade the life of tires, rubber seals, hoses, belts, interiors, and probably several other items.
That guy is correct about chem reaction and temp

Are you sure it wasn't under warranty? VW has a 3y warranty on the 12V battery in the US...
Not 100% sure. Either way she wanted it done that night. Couldn’t get into dealer for another 2 weeks.

Back