Replaced battery in 2019 Jetta.

I didn't know this battery "coding" was a thing now. Interesting..

I do know from experience that one thing that is OK about living in the rust belt is automotive batteries last a long time. It's not uncommon for connection corrosion to prompt a battery change before the battery is actually shot.

Our 2015 Nissan Versa w/ 58K miles still has it's factory battery.

VW codes the battery and the charging system is set up for a particular set of battery characteristic. Recoding the system is often ignored outside a dealership and the battery life is affected. The F150 uses a coded battery, too. It allows the vehicle makers another means to eek out better fuel efficiency.
If the OP replaced the battery with a similar type of battery, he'll be fine.

Now, if he switched to a AGM from a flooded type, that's an issue.

Has any mentioned if it is covered by warranty yet?

On a serious note.... The one "modern" car I keep in the garage stays unlocked, and the key and fob stay in the center console. Maybe I should start bringing it into the house?

I noticed that before I installed a new battery in the Touareg, the available capacity was showing like 10AH and the alternator ran frequently. With the new battery installed it shows much closer to "full" and the alternator is less active - it pumps a ton of amps while coasting and "brisk" acceleration but tapers off during steady-state cruise and light acceleration.

Seems that properly coding a new battery regardless of type installed would alleviate some strain on the alternator as well.

Wonder if the low stress of starting a small 1.6L engine and light weight oil has anything to do with it.
That could be. I'll have to see if there's a CCA rating on the little fella. I've only run 5w30 supertech full synthetic in this engine.

I disagree, that’s not how I understood it. My understanding is that the ECU keeps an eye on the battery‘s health and needs to know if it has been replaced so it can reset/recalibrate. You can get away without doing it, but you are suppose to recode it.

My mother in law sent me a text this evening saying her CEL was on in her 2019 Jetta SE (21,000 miles). I told her I’d come scan the codes after work. It came back with a P0071. I googled it and couldn’t find anything rock solid as to what the problem could be.

During diagnostics I tried to start the car….click, click, click. No juice.

The car is 3 years old with 21k miles which seems a bit premature for an OEM battery. Our 2014 Jettas factory battery made it a bit over 3 years, but with around 40K miles before it needed a replacement.

At any rate, I told her if it was one of my cars I’d go ahead and replace. I offered a jump but we both agreed it would likely be a matter of time before it died again, and next time it may not be as convenient as in her garage.

The factory battery did not have any markings showing what size / group it was. Naturally I Googled but had quite a difficult time finding a definitive answer. Possible options were H5, H6 and H7. I took the old battery with me to Walmart hoping someone could confirm size. Unfortunate their database only listed VW’s through 2017! The end result was me buying the H5 as visibly it was a match.

I installed the battery after some fussing with the battery cover, pressed the start button and it started up as strong as ever….with about every dash light and warning message illuminated and flashing!

I cleared the CEL, and upon driving off all the other lights and messages went away. I did 4 drive cycles and no more CEL!

Hopefully this story is closed. She made a dealer appointment for the CEL before I came over but they were booked out for 2 more weeks. She will keep the appt for a few days to make sure the CEL stays off

The odd thing is there were no issues prior to the no start.

Anyway, that’s all.
Best way to replace the battery next time is to go to a WM location that has auto bay service and let WM remove the old and install the new battery.

I disagree, that’s not how I understood it. My understanding is that the ECU keeps an eye on the battery‘s health and needs to know if it has been replaced so it can reset/recalibrate. You can get away without doing it, but you are suppose to recode it.
Then you just change 1 digit in the battery serial number.

Best way to replace the battery next time is to go to a WM location that has auto bay service and let WM remove the old and install the new battery.

That sounds like a total nightmare.

anyone know what makes require this "coding" for a new battery?

My jeep has an IBS, but the system appears to be fully automatic??

anyone know what makes require this "coding" for a new battery?

My jeep has an IBS, but the system appears to be fully automatic??
The charging system learns the capabilities of the battery and sets a charging profile to monitor it (especially with auto start/stop) and maintain the health of the battery. If you replace the battery without resetting this and programming it with the new battery info, it will continue to use a sub-optimal charging profile which could drastically shorten the life of the new battery.

The charging system learns the capabilities of the battery and sets a charging profile to monitor it (especially with auto start/stop) and maintain the health of the battery. If you replace the battery without resetting this and programming it with the new battery info, it will continue to use a sub-optimal charging profile which could drastically shorten the life of the new battery.
ah so every make has the same charging system and way to reset it? How does that work on my Jeep which was my specific question. I know about BMW and VW for example. and audi uses a closed system... but specifically asking about jeep. My question was about 2 levels deeper than your generic answer.

Heat and humidity kill car batteries, and Florida is one of the worst places for battery longevity. Three years would be a quite short lifespan in western Canada or the mid-west but it's pretty normal for a tropical climate like in Florida.

batteryzone.jpg

ah so every make has the same charging system and way to reset it? How does that work on my Jeep which was my specific question. I know about BMW and VW for example. and audi uses a closed system... but specifically asking about jeep. My question was about 2 levels deeper than your generic answer.
Apologies, missed that part. It's possible that Jeep/Fiat uses a closed system but I don't believe so.

Back