2019 Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Al
Sure..it can't compete with my XT but neither can the overwhelming percentage of cars on the road. The XT is quicker than any other non luxury SUV on the road. and its as quicker than the BMW X3. It has the sport mode with paddle chifters. Iit gets up to 50 mph faster than most vehicles on the road I would say. I haven merged with traffic. But its the quickest of any vehicles I have had in the last 57 yers other than my '69 camaro.

What year is your XT? Your sig doesn't list your vehicles. I don't see any staggeringly impressive performance figures for the XT, that's why I ask.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
[
What year is your XT? Your sig doesn't list your vehicles. I don't see any staggeringly impressive performance figures for the XT, that's why I ask.

2018. It the quickest of all suv's in its class..like the CRV. Obviously there are Luxury models that compete with it. But not many can beat it. That class of luxury usually features a 2.0 250 HP engine just like the XT. And they are usually several hundred pounds heavier.

Nope, not many luxury SUVs can beat it. Just look at these 0-60 times (all Motortrend for consistency).

NX300 - 6.9s (3,900lb)
GLC 300 - 6.9s (3,947lb)
Forester XT - 6.8s (3,653lb)
X3 30i - 6.7s (4,236lb)
QX50 - 6.6s (3,810lb)
MKC - 6.5s (3,823lb)
RDX - 6.4s (3,783lb)
Q5 2.0T - 5.9s (4,057lb)
Stelvio - 5.4s (4,044lb)

Originally Posted by gofast182
Nope, not many luxury SUVs can beat it. Just look at these 0-60 times (all Motortrend for consistency).

NX300 - 6.9s (3,900lb)
GLC 300 - 6.9s (3,947lb)
X3 30i - 6.7s (4,236lb)
QX50 - 6.6s (3,810lb)
MKC - 6.5s (3,823lb)
RDX - 6.4s (3,783lb)
Q5 2.0T - 5.9s (4,057lb)
Stelvio - 5.4s (4,044lb)

But some non-luxury SUVs can beat it, for example Mazda CX5 (6.4s), or Ford Edge ST AWD (6.1s).

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by benjy
sister has an 18 impreza sport same DOGGY engine, dont try to pass on a hill unless you can see a mile + good luck with the CVT!! VW's get similar mpg's with better performance + 6yr 60 thou bumper to bumper warranty + a real automatic tranny or my fav a manual. people are buffalowed with AWD when 4 snow tires will actually do better than AWD with all season but winter tyres, no thanks on anything but a manual shifted WRX or an STI if i could afford one!

You have not driven a Subaru deep snow or you would not made that statement. My 08 Forester could easily make it up a steep stoned driveway in winter with deep snow. My daughter's FWD dedicated Blizzicks (spell) never got close. And my 08 was not in the same league as the new subarus. The way the sensors are set up all four wheels get traction. You have not compared (likely) so you have no clu..sorry.

Weird. Our FXT with X-Mode got stuck with stock tires. Our Civic, with Conti snow tires, plowed right past it...

Originally Posted by Al
[

2018. It the quickest of all suv's in its class..like the CRV. Obviously there are Luxury models that compete with it. But not many can beat it. That class of luxury usually features a 2.0 250 HP engine just like the XT. And they are usually several hundred pounds heavier.

OK, this MotorTrend article: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/sub...forester-20xt-touring-first-test-review/

states:
Originally Posted by MotorTrend
Equipped with a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine making 250 hp, our 2017 Forester tester did the deed in just 6.8 seconds. Essentially, it creamed four-cylinder competitors we've tested in the past few years including other models with similar power outputs such as the 2017 Ford Escape EcoBoost AWD, which clocked a time of 7.3 seconds, and the 2017 Kia Sportage SX Turbo AWD, which hit the mark in 8.1 seconds.

The Forester left other big players in the dust such as the 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 AWD, the 2017 Honda CR-V AWD, and the 2016 Toyota RAV4 AWD. It even matched the time of a V-6-powered 2016 Jeep Cherokee producing an additional 20 hp.

Emphasis mine. Now, I'm not casting stones here, but being "as fast" as a V6 Jeep Cherokee isn't exactly much of a benchmark
21.gif
A 0-60 of 6.8 seconds doesn't support your earlier statement:

Originally Posted by Al
The XT is quicker than any other non luxury SUV on the road.

So, it's not quicker than the Jeep Cherokee V6. Do you consider the Durango, Grand Cherokee and Explorer luxury SUV's? Because all of them are quicker, and, depending on trim, considerably so, than the XT.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

NX300 - 6.9s (3,900lb)
GLC 300 - 6.9s (3,947lb)
X3 30i - 6.7s (4,236lb)
QX50 - 6.6s (3,810lb)
MKC - 6.5s (3,823lb)
RDX - 6.4s (3,783lb)
Q5 2.0T - 5.9s (4,057lb)
Stelvio - 5.4s (4,044lb)

But some non-luxury SUVs can beat it, for example Mazda CX5 (6.4s), or Ford Edge ST AWD (6.1s).

Well those must be typos. The XT is the fastest in its class and even faster than most 2.0T luxury SUVs because "Obviously there are Luxury models that compete with it."

Last edited:

Well those must be typos. The XT is the fastest in its class and even faster than most 2.0T luxury SUVs because "Obviously there are Luxury models that compete with it."

It was likely quickest in class when designed back. However other SUVs by 2018 came onto the scene and modernized more then the 2012 roots.

NX300 - 6.9s (3,900lb)
GLC 300 - 6.9s (3,947lb)
X3 30i - 6.7s (4,236lb)
QX50 - 6.6s (3,810lb)
MKC - 6.5s (3,823lb)
RDX - 6.4s (3,783lb)
Q5 2.0T - 5.9s (4,057lb)
Stelvio - 5.4s (4,044lb)

All of these machines are equal except for the VAG and FCA examples, neither of which will run for long enough post lease to matter.
What Alfa lover ever dreamed that a CUV would wear the badge?

Are we seriously arguing whether the Crosstrek is fast or not? It's not LOL.

Originally Posted by buster

Well now we're arguing about the Forester XT but either way, you're exactly right.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

NX300 - 6.9s (3,900lb)
GLC 300 - 6.9s (3,947lb)
X3 30i - 6.7s (4,236lb)
QX50 - 6.6s (3,810lb)
MKC - 6.5s (3,823lb)
RDX - 6.4s (3,783lb)
Q5 2.0T - 5.9s (4,057lb)
Stelvio - 5.4s (4,044lb)

All of these machines are equal except for the VAG and FCA examples, neither of which will run for long enough post lease to matter.
What Alfa lover ever dreamed that a CUV would wear the badge?

I actually know quite a few Q5 owners running into 100k-150k range. They are well made and popular for a reason(top seller), just like Subaru who produces some unreliable cars with serious issues VAG makes a few reliable/durable vehicles.

It's all relative. A Crosstrek may feel quick compared to a Prius. An XT will feel quick compared to the Crosstrek or many N/A CUVs in it's class. All are good if you own them and are happy with them.

Just more feedback. The Crosstreck got an "indicated" 35.1 mpg over the first 150 milles. I did about 50 miles comparing what the CrossTrek and my Spark would get.

Both were driven very carefully. The Spark previously got just north of 44 mpg indicated. The CrossTrek 39.7 indicated. Yes its sloe but talk about efficient for AWD
shocked.gif

Overall it looks like the Spark averaged 37 winter and summer. The Crosstrek should at least be 32 "actual" .... 10% highway.

Originally Posted by kkreit01
It's all relative. A Crosstrek may feel quick compared to a Prius. An XT will feel quick compared to the Crosstrek or many N/A CUVs in it's class. All are good if you own them and are happy with them.

The Crosstrek will handle better. That's pretty much the end of its "feels fast" advantage.

Originally Posted by buster

Nope. Its in the slow end of modern vehicles. Subaru's either a incredibly quick or absolute and utter dogs.

Originally Posted by sw99
Love the new Crosstrek. You made a great decision Al.

I love it, too! If it wasn't just a lifted Impreza with different body cladding and some added stiffeners, I'd be all over it. By that, I mean that it needs some engine improvement over the Impreza, be that a FB25 or FAXXDIT.

I would give up my new-found desire to own only used cars and purchase a brand-new 1.8DIT-powered, 200/230 HP/Tq Crosstrek...a few years after introduction, to ensure the kinks are worked out, of course! Anything less and I might as well upgrade to the Forester, which actually has a major increase in practicality over the Impreza...Even then, the Forester is dog-slow, too.

Long-and-short: Subaru needs to quit offering only dog-slow and XT models (other than the WRX and STI); they need to offer something that, maybe not the majority, but a large portion of us would prefer, a vehicle with better performance than an FB20 or FB25, and better fuel economy than an FA20/24DIT, XT version.

If you want to call something a sport, then add more power, not just orange trim!

//

With ALL of that 'I want more power' verbiage out of the way, there are other ways I could be attracted to a low-powered Subaru. Add a real LSD in the rear, front and rear or front and rear with a DCCD in the middle. I understand this is a pipe dream, would impact gas mileage and 0-60MPH times, etc., but it would a great perk for some enthusiasts, if it's as "bullet-proof" as the STI drive-train...and comes with something other than a CVT!

Originally Posted by Al
[

CX5 for 2019 gets a turbo and will show the XT tail-lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back