2019/2020 VW Jetta GLI

Yes ,, Congrats on the smart looking ride !! ** I have family in Saginaw, White Lake, Owosso, Tawas, Gladwin, Alpena and West Branch.
thumbsup2.gif

I was hanging out at VW Friday afternoon for a short bit on a minor recall item. Being in the area, I stopped to set an appt. and they took it right in quoting an hour. I was out in 30 minutes.
I scoured the lot noting tires and wheels sizes for the look and fitment I want when the OEM tires are done. I consider it ESSENTIAL !!

grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
thumbsup2.gif

Agree, except that Subaru... WRX still has pretty good market penetration with their manuals (the alternative is a CVT
31.gif
).

I have also heard that the manual in the G37 is a bit notchy... not so great.

?

It might, though, generate some interest from people like me, haha...

My 04 g-35 probably wasn't era representative of that so I don't know. The most common complaint I know of is the clutch engagement point.
It's a fairly long travel and grabs pretty late. Not intuitive at all but in my case and maybe due to my height, trunk , inseam etc.... I was okay with it and it didn't seem a problem.
As of a few years ago, a guy in Canada makes a great fix that is a two piece off-set cantilevered linkage. Very highly rated and popular.
The G-35 was a fun car in every way but it always felt 600 # too heavy .... lol. A 400 hp turbo would have been a long term Band-Aid (and plenty went that route) .

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Ended up paying a little less than ^^^. New plate was $116. I put $2500 down so financed a hair over $21k. First payment not until 10/14/20. Then 71 payments @ 0%. Love it. It will be handed down to my youngest (9 year old) when her time comes to drive.
36.3mpg and rising!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice car, congratulations!

Originally Posted by KCJeep
dwcopple said:
Nice car, congratulations!

Thank you Sir! I spent yesterday AM taking off the metallic dealership sticker off the trunk and removed the JETTA letters too and polished it up. Looks way cleaner now
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by TCU_Adam
You're upside down on a car loan the minute you buy it. Besides, if I can pay off a smaller negative balance or better yet, get it rolled over to the new loan that would be at 0%, I'd be ok. That's why I want more than 8 for it. If I get 11 or 12, I can pay off the rest.

You're not going to be getting 0% interest if you roll in the negative equity...

Just wanted to say that this is actually not true, at least here in Central Texas. Two VW dealerships have told me that I can roll over the negative equity into the 0% loan if my credit score is high enough.

His is a stick though.... ^^^^

Here's mine all washed up and garaged for the night last night. I threw on a coat of Gold Class spray wax for the time being too. It gets dropped off to the tint shop tonite for the rear windows to be done tomorrow!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I don't know about Arco's Jetta, but we obtained our Tiguan from my oldest son. It carried with it the story of how awful it was in the snow, according to him. I took it out this last winter, complete bunk it does really well. My son clearly didn't know how to drive it in inclement weather. Point of all that is, YMMV.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I don't know about Arco's Jetta, but we obtained our Tiguan from my oldest son. It carried with it the story of how awful it was in the snow, according to him. I took it out this last winter, complete bunk it does really well. My son clearly didn't know how to drive it in inclement weather. Point of all that is, YMMV.

VW's always did very good in snow due to engine position, and I am talking FWD. I have AWD Tiguan o narrowest snow tires. Put anything against that vehicle here in the Rockies, I will take it, unless it has like 100hp more.

I don't mean to cast others in poor light but often times, the cars that rated poor in the snow can be a wrong description for some very simple reasons.
Operator error-
Not everyone gets a good set of tires, not everyone has experience driving in snowy condition's - or if they do, it doesn't guarantee they've mastered it.
Also, "we" like to blame equipment for performance shortcomings that might otherwise reflect on "us".
lol.gif

There are times finesse and patience is required with or above strategy in challenging snowy or icy conditions. Even experienced 4-season drivers can get fouled up.
Here in this area, often as not I'll take the fresh snowy track rather than the two track route already "plowed" by others tires. Those seemingly cleared ruts can often be the slickest or hide ice whereas tread biting snow can actually do better.

Last edited:
My friend who sold me his 1984 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe told me that it was terrible in the snow. I put some decent Dunlop ASHP rubber on it and never had an issue, although having three pedals also helped.

Last edited:
I ended up getting a 2019 GLI in 'Tornado Red' which I didn't care for at first but it's growing on me. It had a 6k discount and I'm guessing it was still on the lot because the dealer had it listed as automatic transmission when in fact it's a manula. Car is now at 6k miles and I love it! The review from ARCO was on point for things like the water collection and small mirrors. The small mirrors are probably my biggest complaint but it's not the end of the world. It's been on a road trip to Denver and back and has plenty of power for overtaking but still gets decent gas mileage at higher speeds. Overall, so far so good and I would probably recommend this car to anyone!

Does yours have the panoramic sunroof?

VWAG still struggles with the pano roofs. My departed '12 Jetta Sportwagen spent a month in the shop due to leaks, ended up getting new headliner, new carpet front to rear, new drains and new sunroof seals - had to go to the bodyshop for some modifications to get it to stop leaking. The '11 Sportwagen just had the same procedure done (didn't have to go to bodyshop though). My '12 filled up the spare tire well, the '11 flooded the drivers side floorboard. Friend has a '19 Audi Q7 with the pano roof and the whole sunroof assembly had to be replaced before it had 5k miles on the clock due to banging/popping noises.

Buy some seal conditioner - Sonax GummiPfleger and treat the seals you can reach regularly. This stuff really helped with the creaking and popping roofs in our Sportwagens, prob doesn't stop/prevent leaks as those are mainly related to the poor drain tube designs.

What follows is the truth of ownership - not a bunch of whimsy.

Who are you? I am a M.E and parts, tooling and process designer and quality engineer who has worked for Bell Labs, AT&T and in partnership with BOSCH, Tesla and GM and Sumitomo in and advanced materials and parts development.

I have a leased 2019 S Jetta with 6m.

My overall impression is the car is a cheap piece of junk.

Most Impressive is the head unit radio and body and systems software, its genius! but hardware is not good. Radio sound quality is poor to fair, though the tuner is relatively sensitive with good rejection.

Car wont hold an alignment, steering is poor, the ride is underdamped and bottoms out even on the Interstate - full float and 4 corner crash - due to short travel. The EPS is completely devoid of feel, way over-boosted and generally abysmal.

In the rain, if you spin the tires when the boost comes on in first gear, you will get horrendous, axle snapping and banging wheel hop and axle tramp. I've worried I had broken some thing - even getting out of the gas instantly.This also happens in snow on hills just trying to make slow progress.

The Transaxle is noisy with gear and engine racket bleedthough to the cabin; the clutch is clunking on takeup.
First is geared too low and second is two tall making 15MPH corners in 2nd an impossibility. 6th gear is a over 65 MPH affair

Interior materials - though a nice, crisp and pleasing contemporary design overall; are cheap plastic and rubber. Check out the clamshell rubbermaid interior door handles. The control stalks seem like they would shatter and snap off with little force.

The Hillholder system is dangerously intrusive and has caused stalling when trying to merge into traffic from a side road.by keeping the brakes applied 1-2 seconds after you engage the clutch. AFAIK it is not defeatable.
The hill holder is absolutely criminal if you are trying to make it up a snow packed hill in the Winter, and you start slipping backward. A clutch IN and STEER move will lock the brakes, slide you backward with no control, and put you in a ditch or worse. A

Headlight coverage fair at best, reversing camera is poor and gets occluded daily.,

Side traffic warning is good.

Seats are OK for a couple hours, seating position generally fairly comfortable

Big issue is with this new VAG MQB unibody platform - which appears really rushed to market, or not really suitable for thsi bodystyle - more compact SUV focused.

Rear seating area is not as capacious as you might expect.

On the Jetta, the front cowl is very high, making for a short windscreen and over too small and narrow a windshield.
Rear trunk and package shelf is very high making for absolutely NO rearward visibility.

Speaking of the trunk. Its huge but you get NO jack or spare tire just a fix a flat can of slime and a tire pump.
And this is with Passenger Touring tires - not UHP Summer tire

Body water management is a complete fail in the trunk lid gasket well. - this area holds water and debris by quart and will even freeze up solid.

Rear doors also have held pints of water in the gasket area and have completely frozen up during cool down after evening rain.

Then there is no hand brake - just and electric parking brake. A MUST for performance FWD driving.

Brakes are overbooosted but have excellent bite and are good in general - I have not pushed them hard enough to induce fade - but i have not tried.

Yes the 1.4t in the base Jetta is pretty quick, and the 2.0 GLI BLAZINGLY quick. As I stated before the GLI has the same acceleration and 1/4 mile trap speed as a then NEW late 60's Shelby GT500 428 Cobra Jet.

But I don't think its worth the other troubles. I barely use all of the power of the1.4t and I'm a very hard and fast driver.
I’m just seeing this, but I couldn’t disagree with your assessment of the Jetta more. It’s a fine car that drives a class above.

Back