2019/2020 Subaru Maintenance Schedule Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted in the "Vehicles" forum that I am thinking of purchasing a 2019 / 2020 Subaru Forester. Right now, Subaru is offering "free" 2 year / 24K miles scheduled maintenance with every new vehicle purchase. One dealership I have spoken with is offering a free "lifetime" oil change / wiper blades plan, based on the manufacturer's schedule. However, during the conversation, the salesman claimed that Subarus need a "major" tune-up every 30K to 36K miles, to include new belts, plugs, filters, etc. to remain in warranty, that is not part of the aforementioned "lifetime" plan. Hmmm, to me this sounds like a plan to recoup the cost of the "lifetime" maintenance plan. Thoughts on this, in terms of truth regarding the "major" maintenance necessity / frequency?

Another scare tactic to get more money out of you.

Pull the manual up online, or have him go get one out of a new car and look it up.

They had problems with the CVTs so possibly they shortened the time and increased the amount of scheduled maintenance for it.

Don't get it...…. Oil is every 6k. Belts are inspect and replace as needed.
Spark Plugs are every 60k. Differential 30k. Brake fluid 30k. Coolant 110k. Filters are 30k.
CVT fluid is 120k but inspect drain and fill if needed every 30k. First oil change is 6k even in
harsh conditions. The to remain in warranty part is bull. Of course if you don't change your oil but every
60k and have a failure your out..... LOL You get my point.
P.S. All wear items are 36k or 3 years free replacement. i.e. break pads, wipers blah blah blah

That's total BS. I have a 17 3.6 and frankly this Subaru is exactly why you would buy one. I'm at 70k and have had zero mechanical issues. My complaint is a seat durability issue. Other than that no problems. I did my ront and rear diff at 30k.

FREE ...

When you see this word at any business, be VERY careful ! Nothing at a dealership is free. On a Subaru, that FREE 2 year / 24k mile service is 3 or 4 oil changes, paid for by Subaru. And, realistically, paid for by you ... if you buy a Subaru.

This is to guarantee the dealer sees your car at least a couple of times, and every time they will try to sell you something ... that won't be free. Cabin filter, air filter, brake "service" , fluid flush, additives ... ANYTHING to make more money. They know that many, many people will just say yes to everything. Someone somewhere has done the math, and knows that those free oil changes actually generate far more profit than they cost.

Remember this ... charities give stuff away. For profit businesses don't. Ever.

Last edited:
Nonsense...

Just to add to what everyone else wrote, you may want to replace your cabin filter every year; 5 minutes or less to do.

Air filter every 2 years or 30k; also 5 minutes or less.

Something else I noticed - new Subarus come with a 5 year / 60K miles powertrain warranty, but a "certified" used Subaru raises it to 7 year / 100K. However, that is based on the original sale date (when new). Funny that they don't give those numbers from the start for new ones.

A lot of the Subaru maintenance schedule is extremely conservative, especially if you use it as a daily commuter.

OCI /Rotation 6K - OK with DI engine. Was 7.5K with the older PI engines. We just give the dealer M1EP with a Fram Ultra.
Diff fluid - 60K - We also use M1.
Cabin Air - 18K DIY (5 min) - 3rd party carbon ones are my favorite
Engine Air - 36K DIY (5 min) - OEM only part for best fit
Plugs - 60K??? For Iridium plugs??? We did 90K
Brake flush - 3 yr (same with every car). Subaru rotors pit out fairly quickly. Wash off that salt!
CVT- Not listed, but every 100K to be safe.
Coolant 8yr / 100K - same with every car. Then 50K thereafter.

The plugs are fairly expensive to replace because they are PIA to change. Same with the CVT, which has to be heated to a certain temp when installing.

They are pretty reliable cars, and great in snow. I would wait until next model year, if you can, on the Forester, it is a recent redesign and has some bugs.

Last edited:
The major service Subarus need is head gaskets, every 60-80k
mad.gif

Since the spark plugs are difficult to replace on a Subaru, consider NGK ruthenium, if they make them for your car. They will last a long time

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
mad.gif

Since the spark plugs are difficult to replace on a Subaru, consider NGK ruthenium, if they make them for your car. They will last a long time

Not the FB series of engines.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
mad.gif

Not the FB series of engines.

It hasn't been an issue for the last decade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back