2018 YZ250X Transmission

Even blkstone doesn't analyze many two stroke gearboxes. I was more curious what the additive package was like in BelRay 80w.

EBF05B61-BC51-4DBB-B1DD-46C661462CA9.jpeg

Is that what they're calling for in the gearbox? I have 3 YZs (2001, 2002, 2007), and they all call for 30W engine oil in the gearbox.

Yes, 80W BelRay is approx the same viscosity as 30w engine oil, but with EP additives. Yamalube makes it as well as many others. Make the switch.

Originally Posted by OCDoiler
Yes, 80W BelRay is approx the same viscosity as 30w engine oil, but with EP additives. Yamalube makes it as well as many others. Make the switch.

Rotella has worked fine for me, for years.

i have tried many oils in the bottom ends of my 2 stroke huskies..5w40 t6 rotella makes the least amount of shavings on their huge magnet..so ive always stuck with using it. shifts are also good quality with it as well..

switch to Penzoil ATF type F in the yellow bottle
drain it every race for $1.50
i put 28 races on my smoker yz250
took it apart and it was brand new inside and every piece was micd n checked

Japanese 2 strokes, used to always come with aluminum clutch plates, Highly contaminating, but good clutch life as long as you keep the oil clean.

Your oil looks really good , but aluminum clutch plates will always have some glitter, but they are light weight dissipate heat really well.

BelRay transmission oil has always worked very well in my motocross bikes. I have always wondered if this is a good add pack. Based on what we're seeing from Blackstone, would you say the add pack is good / worth paying premium dollar for? I'm currently using Honda HP transmission oil because I bought a bunch on sale and it also works really well. What I mean by well is longer on the oil before I get notchy shifting.

If you want to increase metal count, run ATF.

because an automatic transmission has ZERO metal in it....O M G

the C6 tranny behind the 460 only lasted 150,000 miles.
The output for 460 engines built before 1972 is 365 horsepower at 4,600 rpm and 485 pound-feet of torque at 2,800 rpm.
that dirtbike is only 430 pound-feet of torque less...so yes it should be totally ruined in miliseconds because ATF type F is bad
O
M
G

because an automatic transmission has ZERO metal in it....O M G

the C6 tranny behind the 460 only lasted 150,000 miles.
The output for 460 engines built before 1972 is 365 horsepower at 4,600 rpm and 485 pound-feet of torque at 2,800 rpm.
that dirtbike is only 430 pound-feet of torque less...so yes it should be totally ruined in miliseconds because ATF type F is bad
O
M
G
Yes, it doesnt have the film base for a manual transmission , with metal to metal contact in comparison to manual transmission type oils.

I know ford puts Atf is some of their manual trannies , mainly for fuel economy but real manual tranny fluid holds up better Long term for a manual transmission.

and i speak from RACING dirtbikes for decades that ATF type F works as well as or better than 10w30 in a 2stroke dirtbike..which the yz250x is
not only that, but i RACED my yz250 (non-x) with pennzoil atf type f for several seasons of harescrambles and a complete micrometer check of all clutch plates, bushings, basket....all showed in tolerance. as did the entire gear assembly of that metal to metal transmission.

I ran ATF in all my trusty Huskys because it sported a viscosity of 6.0 which freed up notable more HP...
It took knobby balls to race MX in SoCal... you either were first off the line or ate dust of your competitors...

3rdPlaceTrophy4thRace.JPG

My 5L Husky leads the pack off the line into turn one...

1972ArroyoCyclePark.jpg

Kick it and Wick it...
Image (316).jpg

Last edited:
and i speak from RACING dirtbikes for decades that ATF type F works as well as or better than 10w30 in a 2stroke dirtbike..which the yz250x is
not only that, but i RACED my yz250 (non-x) with pennzoil atf type f for several seasons of harescrambles and a complete micrometer check of all clutch plates, bushings, basket....all showed in tolerance. as did the entire gear assembly of that metal to metal transmission.
You are changing the oil every hour, because its trashed?

That only works in a niche environment

run it 20 hours and compare it to a real tranny oil in the same amount of time, you get away with it, cause you are changing it like water.

Back