2018 VW GSW 4Motion first UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Had this posted up before....but left myself hanging with personal info on UOA so killed the thread...apologies for that blunder! Let's try this again (and thank you to the mods for taking it down...I'm paranoid!)

2018 VW GSW 4Motion DSG. Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU/TCU tunes. K&N drop-in. First oil change from factory fill at ~7.5K. Changed out with Liquimoly Leichtlauf 5W40 VW502. $70 for kit including filter and drain plug delivered from www.shopdap.com.

20190204_142700.jpg

InkedUOA_1_LI.jpg

Can someone please clarify: Silicone (note the "e" at the end) is an RTV... a (room temp vulcanizing) rubber. Does silicone (sealant) contain the element silicon (note the lack of an "e" at the end)?

They seem like much-different types of items...?

Originally Posted by LotI
Silly to do a UOA on factory fill. There's nothing to learn from it.

Hopefully the silicon is from sealants and not the K&N.

Just to see the changes is all. The SiO2 I'm sure is from the normal bits for being new but again, now I will see how it changes (drops I'm sure). Plenty of UOAs from running K&Ns that have normal SiO2 levels.

Silly to do a UOA on factory fill. There's nothing to learn from it.

Hopefully the silicon is from sealants and not the K&N.

I don't think it is silly or that there is nothing to learn from it, but if you do, why are you hoping "the silicon is from sealants and not the K&N"? Can't pick and choose what you are going to disregard.

The only question I have is where is the copper coming from? Where is it used in the engine (oil cooler?)? Aside from copper the wear metals are about twice universal averages, which actually seems rather good for a factory fill.

Do we know what the factory fill oil is?

My last 2 UOA's on my GTI show 1-2ppm Cu. There is an engine oil cooler integrated within the cooling system, but I thought it would be Aluminum. The oil cap recommends Castrol so I assume that some version is FF.

My 2017 requires 502 00. The OP's car is an '18 and may spec 504 00. Hopefully they can clarify.

My last 2 UOA's on my GTI show 1-2ppm Cu. There is an engine oil cooler integrated within the cooling system, but I thought it would be Aluminum. The oil cap recommends Castrol so I assume that some version is FF.

My 2017 requires 502 00. The OP's car is an '18 and may spec 504 00. Hopefully they can clarify.

Factory fill is Castrol LL03 5W30, which is a low saps 504/507 5W30 (which is funny, because the engines come with stickers that list "502/505 Only". The owner's manual does specific 504/507, as does a later TSB. Bottom line though, it's coming with a low saps oil from the factory.

502...sticker says 502.

Last edited:
Correction, sticker under hood is 502/504.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back