2018 VW Atlas 3.6 30.5K/5.2K OCI dealer bulk 5W40 (likely Castrol)

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Here's my latest from our Atlas. The 3.6 FSI continues to show that it's a fuel diluter. Use was nearly 100% short trip/around town this run. This was likely the bulk dealer Castrol 5W40 but may be the new Mobil product, looks like some moly/boron vs. the prev changes. This one is definately a 5K OCI vehicle which for me is 1-2 changes a year. Just filled up with Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 and Ceratec so will be curious how that look in 5K miles. Also included are some data I've been tracking.
OilReports-page-001.jpg
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

The oil from my Atlas makes the whole garage smell like gasoline during/after a change.

I do 5k/1yr with Mobil 1 FS 0W-40.

I have a bunch of 5W-50 left over from the 996 and I may start using that.

The oil from my Atlas makes the whole garage smell like gasoline during/after a change.

I do 5k/1yr with Mobil 1 FS 0W-40.

I have a bunch of 5W-50 left over from the 996 and I may start using that.

Yeah....the additive package here is last change is quite a bit different. Ca/P/Mg/Zn are all quite different than the previous 3. Going with previous 3 were the dealer bulk Castrol 5W40 and now this is the dealer bulk Mobil 5W40. Is it possible this is a 5W/0W30 VW504 00 now? I see more moly and boron as well.

this need for a 5k oci is kinda concerning. i thought that all vw models have a standard 10k/12mo oci.

this need for a 5k oci is kinda concerning. i thought that all vw models have a standard 10k/12mo oci.
I didn't say you had to do a 5K OCI but my data on my Atlas used how I use it says that's a good one. I am quite sure you can go out to 10K with no drama.

I wouldn't call it a need. I'm sure 10k/1yr is fine.

5k just gives me the warm and fuzzies. It's also when I rotate my tires.
Boom. 5-6K is good for rotations and at 10K a year, 2x a year is just smart. One time I'll do 10K just to do it!

Yeah....the additive package here is last change is quite a bit different. Ca/P/Mg/Zn are all quite different than the previous 3. Going with previous 3 were the dealer bulk Castrol 5W40 and now this is the dealer bulk Mobil 5W40. Is it possible this is a 5W/0W30 VW504 00 now? I see more moly and boron as well.

You nailed it. That's VW (Mobil) 504 0w30 not Castrol. Interesting it's what I have in the sump now and I plan to UOA as well. If I get viscosity like that I may re-evaluate my choices going forward.

It's history now, but the dealer Castrol 5w40 did not have the same add pack as the black bottle found at Wally's. It was a very basic 502 oil with few additives, I'd doubt it could pass the stringent specs the Euro at Wally's does. Never the less it gave me very good results on the UOA I did on it.

The new VW 502 5w40 by Mobil is very similar. A 40 grade with virtually nothing in it, just enough to pass 502 and a shadow of Mobil's other Euro offerings.

UOA below, clearly different than yours and consistent with 40 grade Castrol.

Last edited:
You nailed it. That's VW (Mobil) 504 0w30 not Castrol. Interesting it's what I have in the sump now and I plan to UOA as well. If I get viscosity like that I may re-evaluate my choices going forward.

It's history now, but the dealer Castrol 5w40 did not have the same add pack as the black bottle found at Wally's. It was a very basic 502 oil with few additives, I'd doubt it could pass the stringent specs the Euro at Wally's does. Never the less it gave me very good results on the UOA I did on it.

The new VW 502 5w40 by Mobil is very similar. A 40 grade with virtually nothing in it, just enough to pass 502 and a shadow of Mobil's other Euro offerings.

UOA below, clearly different than yours and consistent with 40 grade Castrol.
If you look on my report, change 2/3 are the bulk 5W40 Castrol. Last one is now the 0W30 Mobil. The first one at 14K is interesting, not sure what that is.

I misread it sorry. I don't know what the first one is either, doesn't match anything I've known VW to use very closely.

Same fuel dilution on my wife’s 19’ 99% short city trips. Just took it on a 400+ mi trip though and is due for a change. 0w40 euro, I’ll post as soon as I get the report back. We did get 24mpg though.

Have you had any issues w yours? Our check engine light has been on since the get, small evap leak. Been to the dealer 4 times now and still not fixed. Software update, charcoal canister and a valve, oring on gas cap etc. I’ve read they have had a lot of head issues - not properly torqued from the factory or something. I have smelt coolant and have had to top off w no apparent leaks, but none in UOA yet so…

Same fuel dilution on my wife’s 19’ 99% short city trips. Just took it on a 400+ mi trip though and is due for a change. 0w40 euro, I’ll post as soon as I get the report back. We did get 24mpg though.

Have you had any issues w yours? Our check engine light has been on since the get, small evap leak. Been to the dealer 4 times now and still not fixed. Software update, charcoal canister and a valve, oring on gas cap etc. I’ve read they have had a lot of head issues - not properly torqued from the factory or something. I have smelt coolant and have had to top off w no apparent leaks, but none in UOA yet so…
We have not had anything major as I would call it. I loose coolant a v. slow rate...not enough that they will do a thing so I'm no hassling with it. I top it off every so often. Could be water pump.

Back