2018 Suburban - Which Synthetic ATF?

Any recommendations of a new pan with a drain plug for my 2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4WD with 5.3-liter Flex-Fuel V8...?

The SKP and Dorman pans are both ok to use. Either will be fine. SKP does cost a lot less, so that helps.

However, the gaskets that come with aftermarket pans are usually low quality, so I suggest buying either a Fel-Pro or OEM gasket for the new aftermarket pan.

Attachments

• B6FBE4F3-AE43-4D4A-BDC5-3AEB67D5BDDB.jpeg
    B6FBE4F3-AE43-4D4A-BDC5-3AEB67D5BDDB.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 11
By the way, watch a you tube video before attempting to drop the pan on a standard 1/2 ton Suburban or Silverado. The exhaust gets in the way and has to be dealt with.

Depending on how strong one is, you can use a crowbar or other pry device to flex the exhaust out of the way, assuming the exhaust is stock, at least on the GMT900s and my 2018 6.0l 2500.

Last edited:
If this exhaust is configured like my 2017 GMC Sierra, the crossover pipe runs directly under the trans pan. Terrible design. Can’t get the trans pan down without some major exhaust prying etc. My opinion but it’s as much of a poor design because the exhaust pipe is “cooking” the trans fluid. PITIFUL

I pulled a 5,000 pound trailer all over the Rocky Mountains with a 2018 Silverado w /the 5.3 and 6 speed. I changed the transmission fluid at 50,000 miles and it still looked great. Flush your money away.....
No not really, you are doing preventive measures to ensure the filter says unclogged and the fluid fresh. Dont think that becasue the fluid was clean looking, that it did not need to be changed. You did the right thing. I do it every 30k.

5000 lbs aint nothing btw, no offense, but 5000 lbs aint hurting anything. Stay out of 5th and 6th. I tow a 15k lbs with my gasser and spin about 3000-3500 the whole time, in the NC mountains, a 12000 lbs in tow spinning at 4200-4500 for 12 minutes straight, and no issue, trans got to 230ish, that was roughly 70k ago.

No not really, you are doing preventive measures to ensure the filter says unclogged and the fluid fresh. Dont think that becasue the fluid was clean looking, that it did not need to be changed. You did the right thing. I do it every 30k.

5000 lbs aint nothing btw, no offense, but 5000 lbs aint hurting anything. Stay out of 5th and 6th. I tow a 15k lbs with my gasser and spin about 3000-3500 the whole time, in the NC mountains, a 12000 lbs in tow spinning at 4200-4500 for 12 minutes straight, and no issue, trans got to 230ish, that was roughly 70k ago.
If you look on the map you will find much higher mountain passes in Utah than North Carolina. The highest peak East of the Mississippi is Mount Mitchell at 6,600 feet. Parley's Pass (Utah) is over 7,000 feet with the Eisenhower Tunnel (Colorado) at over 11,000 feet. There are many more. I pull all over the Rocky Mountains. I matched the trailer to the truck. I knew pulling over 5,000 pounds with a half-ton with more weight would be a challenge. I normal pass rigs like yours on the passes because they are pulling heavy.

Last edited:
Hi...I have a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4WD with 5.3-liter Flex-Fuel V8.

It is time to do another ATF Flush - have done one very 30,000 miles - would like to try it myself this time due to cost.

I also want to use a Synthetic ATF - though Amsoil is out of my price range.

Should I stick with an ACDelco GM Original Equipment ATF - I was thinking perhaps of a Mobil 1 synthetic ATF this time...?

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated...! Also which specific ATF should I use - I see a few different versions...?
Max all the way

If you look on the map you will find much higher mountain passes in Utah than North Carolina. The highest peak East of the Mississippi is Mount Mitchell at 6,600 feet. Parley's Pass (Utah) is over 7,000 feet (Colorado) with the Eisenhower Tunnel at over 11,000 feet. There are many more. I pull all over the Rocky Mountains. I matched the trailker to the truck. I knew pulling over 5,000 pounds with a half-ton with more weight would be a challenge. I normal pass rigs like yours on the passes because they are pulling heavy.
I was complimenting you on your maintenance and trailering endeavors. I am well aware of the difference in elevation, which has little to do with the weight of the trailer or maintenance interval or whatever. It definately has to do with HP. I was not talking **** about your 1\2 ton. ( Although I would not own a 1\2 ton if I towed alot).

My point was that I tow alot to, in 100 degree ambient heat in mountains and city, and drop the pan every 30k or so. When i change the fluid it looks clean, but I know it is likely not. Good on you for keeping it up.

Seems like you took offense......................................

It is time to do another ATF Flush - have done one very 30,000 miles - would like to try it myself this time due to cost.

Should I stick with an ACDelco GM Original Equipment ATF - I was thinking perhaps of a Mobil 1 synthetic ATF this time...?

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated...! Also which specific ATF should I use - I see a few different versions...?
Maxlife is great quality and price. Mobil 1 atf would be a good choice to, even if not dex6. The real difference is in the viscosity. You will see some arguements that Maxlife cannot meet the specs it states, but who cares about that. I have run maxlife in several trucks, with great results, most of which was a 13 duramaz dually with a curb weight of 11500lbs on average for 200k. Changed fluid in pan and filter every 30k.

I am sure that most will disagree with this statement.

Try summit racing for an aluminum pan with plug. You could always add a plug yourself, either with a kit, or a welder. I am sure most on this site will disagree.

wait is this 2018 or 2008, you have both listed....................

I was complimenting you on your maintenance and trailering endeavors. I am well aware of the difference in elevation, which has little to do with the weight of the trailer or maintenance interval or whatever. It definately has to do with HP. I was not talking **** about your 1\2 ton. ( Although I would not own a 1\2 ton if I towed alot).

My point was that I tow alot to, in 100 degree ambient heat in mountains and city, and drop the pan every 30k or so. When i change the fluid it looks clean, but I know it is likely not. Good on you for keeping it up.

Seems like you took offense......................................

It's hard to tell how you come across when you are typing something. My only point that I wanted to get across is a half-tons sweet spot for towing is between $5,000 to 7,000 pounds (for newer trucks). And I put this to the test where I live.

I did not take offense.

It's hard to tell how you come across when you are typing something. My only point that I wanted to get across is a half-tons sweet spot for towing is between $5,000 to 7,000 pounds (for newer trucks). And I put this to the test where I live.

I did not take offense.
I agree with 1\2 ton capability in the normal, 7000. 10 years ago, buying 1500 did not make any sense with the prices of trucks were basicall the same for a 5.3 or 6.0, but now there is a big price difference. In my newest truck, I have the 6.6 l8t and it gets about 18 combined mpg, and pulls the **** out of a trailer.

I towed double axle enclosed trailer ( 16 ft or so) from NC to Gillette WY years ago. Trailer was 7000ish loaded. Truck was 03 tahoe z71. That was a bit much. Drove it for about two more years, 70k, then it got totalled.

Reactions: CKN
Back