2018 Silverado 3500HD Oil Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Phishin
I don't really put much value in CR. And I also didn't buy a truck that was likely tested either. This is a 3500 WT with the 6.0 gas engine.
I don't even know what CR grades their vehicles on.....I'm guessing that many of the things that they really care about, I've never considered.

I think Ford makes a decent truck, but I've owned one and I'm pretty sure, I never would. Just because I've always been a very brand loyal Chevy Truck guy.

Have you EVER read a CR's vehicle guide? They have NO OUTSIDE advertisement. And, they test ALL trucks. If it's the 3500, they put it through its paces as to what people buy it for. If it's a 1500, they don't test it the same as the 3500. But, it get's put through its paces as well. A LOT of people rely on CR's to buy everyday goods. That's because NO ONE PAYS THEM!
Hey, I have Chevy Orange coursing through my veins. But, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who has the best truck made; GMC! But, being that a GMC didn't have the body lines I liked in a truck the 2007 year model, I chose a FORD. I really do like my FORD, but I always dream about the GMC. EVERYBODY drives a Chevy. I decided I wasn't going to become a statistic and chose a FORD. Anyone can own a Chevy.
grin.gif

You have a nice truck there.

BOF, do you have a link to the rating of the F350 vs 3500HD? Sounds interesting, I'd like to read it, thanks.

I like the truck a lot. From what I have read these 6.0 engines last 500,000 by using any 5w-30 Dexos 1 and following the OLM. But I would do the first change early.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
BOF, do you have a link to the rating of the F350 vs 3500HD? Sounds interesting, I'd like to read it, thanks.

Nick, that's a problem there. CR's don't like to publish there results to ANY of their tests', online. I guess they figure if they did that, then no one would buy the magazine.
They chose 2018's top 10 vehicles. The FORD F150 was the ONLY truck to be picked in the top 10.! Hmmmm, now why is that?
Look, an F150 on the cover of the top 10 picks of 2018. And, the ONLY truck to make it!
I read that Chevrolet started using aluminum body panels. That's very interesting, after all of those negative commercials about Ford and their aluminum body panels. FORD had a better IDEA after all!

Last edited by a moderator:
1/2 ton trucks are totally different beasts than their 1 ton cousins. Different engines, transmissions, interior systems, suspension, chassis. Article above talks about the great power from the 2.7L turbo engine
21.gif

Nice truck no doubt, but apples to oranges.

Congrats on the new truck.

As for media ratings and reviews, while they may help consumers it’s best to use a variety of sources. CR is just one. Motor Tren, C&D, etc. In the end you make your own choice.

Any Dexos 5W30, 10W30, or even 5W40 should serve you well with no problems. Seeing you live in Indiana, I'd be even more concerned about rinsing off the salt during the winter. That 6.0 Vortec is a durable engine that should last for many years.

Graphite Metallic?
I'm with you and drain factory fill oil early, usually around the 500 mile mark.
The 2017 GMC 2500 I drive at work gets better fuel economy with 15w40 than 5w30 dexos.
On long trips it's now 15L/100 km instead of 17L/100 km with the 5w30.
Tires are 275/70/18 on factory wheels.

On my own (2011 & 2018 Duramax), I run 275/65/20s which are 11X34" and 3.73 gears, which are a fleet option with the 6L gasser.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Graphite Metallic?

Tires are 275/70/18 on factory wheels.

On my own (2011 & 2018 Duramax), I run 275/65/20s which are 11X34" and 3.73 gears, which are a fleet option with the 6L gasser.

Yep, Graphite Metallic. I'm not a fan of dark colors, but this is decent. It has a slight green hue at certain angles in the sun.

My truck has Michelin LTX 265/70R18E. I'm 90% sure this truck has 4.10 gearing. I'm going to wear these tires down to nubs before I might consider upgrading to aftermarket wheels and oversized tires.

Next up, Headache Rack and Bed Cover

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Nick, that's a problem there. CR's don't like to publish there results to ANY of their tests', online. I guess they figure if they did that, then no one would buy the magazine.
They chose 2018's top 10 vehicles. The FORD F150 was the ONLY truck to be picked in the top 10.! Hmmmm, now why is that?
Look, an F150 on the cover of the top 10 picks of 2018. And, the ONLY truck to make it!
I read that Chevrolet started using aluminum body panels. That's very interesting, after all of those negative commercials about Ford and their aluminum body panels. FORD had a better IDEA after all!

I work at a body shop and see the advantages and disadvantages in the aluminum f150's.
In a truck, we see mostly disadvantages. You can literally tear the metal by hand that the fenders are made of, not very durable at all.
Very little can be repaired when panels are damaged, and you cant cut and weld in sections, so major panels have to be replaced entirely.
Not a single tech in our shop would own one.

My literature I have seen reguarding the upcoming Chevy model is they are still using steel for the pickup bed, and the aluminum well be bolt on panels like doors and hoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back