2018 Ram 2500 6.4L oil choices ?

What is special, weird, unique about the engines in these (2018) that oil choices are seemingly kinda limited ? I guess it could be the 0W-40 viscosity as one reason but Mobil 1, for example, says "we don't have a recommended oil" for this application. If I use the oil selector at Autozone, Walmart, and O'Reilly all say "Mobil 1 Advanced European Formula Engine Oil Full Synthetic 0W-40" though. I guess a safer route is just go with Castrol Edge 0W-40. At least Castrol is confident enough to recommend it on their website.

I'm not familiar with that engine, but unless you need the 0w for starting, you can run 5w-40 which opens up a lot of options. Pennzoil has a Euro 5w-40 as does Castrol and Mobil. Pick one and run it, then UOA and adjust accordingly.

On the contrary, I actually applaud M1 here. They don't have the MS-12633 spec on their 0W-40, I don't think, and neither does Castrol. Pennzoil has their 0W-40 SRT, which is MS-12633 licensed, however.

Mobil recently updated their oil selector and have started adding FCA (now Stellantis) applications back in but nothing for the 6.4L/6.2L SRT mills or the 6.4L HD mill yet. Given M1 0w-40 is the "original" SRT oil, I'd have no reservations about using it in this application.

but unless you need the 0w for starting .... then UOA and adjust accordingly.
It's not my vehicle so I'm sticking to the viscosity that Chrysler says.

I actually applaud M1 here.
Interestingly, the Castrol variety is ACEA A3/B4 spec which is a Euro thing so I guess the "European Formula" on the Mobil 1 bottle makes sense. From what I've seen, it looks like there was a peeing-match between Mobil and Chrysler and Mobil stopped listing their vehicles.

Interestingly, the Castrol variety is ACEA A3/B4 spec which is a Euro thing so I guess the "European Formula" on the Mobil 1 bottle makes sense. From what I've seen, it looks like there was a peeing-match between Mobil and Chrysler and Mobil stopped listing their vehicles.
I checked Castrol and Valvoline, and neither of them carry the cert either. Now, I'm with @OVERKILL here, I'd use any of them without hesitation. I just kind of appreciated M1's honesty there, instead of putting "recommended for" or whatever.

With all the trouble FCA/Stellantis has had with lifters, I would stick to the recommended stuff just in case a warranty issue comes up.

I checked Castrol ... and neither of them carry the cert either.
Castrol does list Edge 0W-40 on their website if you input the vehicle details though so even though they may not put it on the label, they are confident enough to recommend it. I'm confident going with Edge, M1, or the Penzoil at this point I think.

Cliff notes version:

Mobil had the factory and service fill contract with Daimler-Chrysler. Their 0w-40 was the original spec product for all SRT engines. When FIAT bought Chrysler, they had an existing relationship with SOPUS and yanked the contracts Mobil had with Chrysler out from underneath them. Mobil didn't appear to respond well to this and immediately stopped approving all Mobil 1 products against the FCA specs.

The formation of Stellantis must have brought Mobil back into the fold because they immediately started approving Mobil 1 products to the MS-xxxxx specs again, which we are seeing now.

The Pennzoil SRT 0w-40 was never as robust as the oil it replaced (M1 Euro 0w-40), having lower levels of AW additives and higher volatility (Noack). It was like your plane-Jane SN/GF-5 PCMO but in the a 0w-40.

Cliff notes version:

Mobil had the factory and service fill contract with Daimler-Chrysler. Their 0w-40 was the original spec product for all SRT engines. When FIAT bought Chrysler, they had an existing relationship with SOPUS and yanked the contracts Mobil had with Chrysler out from underneath them. Mobil didn't appear to respond well to this and immediately stopped approving all Mobil 1 products against the FCA specs.

The formation of Stellantis must have brought Mobil back into the fold because they immediately started approving Mobil 1 products to the MS-xxxxx specs again, which we are seeing now.

The Pennzoil SRT 0w-40 was never as robust as the oil it replaced (M1 Euro 0w-40), having lower levels of AW additives and higher volatility (Noack). It was like your plane-Jane SN/GF-5 PCMO but in the a 0w-40.
Would you run M1 Euro 0w40 in a Ram 6.4 hemi?

FWIW, when RAM debut the 6.4L HEMI truck version in 2015, the RAM project manager and RAM chief engineer did a question and answer video that was on the RAM youtube channel and was asked about the oil. They stated that ALL developmental testing was done with 5W-30 grade oil. That video has since been taken down but was up for over a year.

As to them going with 0W-40 at launch and in the OM, speculation is that has to do more with aligning with the SRT versions of the 6.4L and not create confusion of having two different specs.

Regardless, sticking with a 0W-40 grade will serve it well.

Back