2018 F150 3.5Ecoboost Gen2 M1 0W40 Euro - 5 Star tuned

Status
Not open for further replies.
My very first UOA. Thoughts on the iron? It has 18,000kms when the sample was taken with 8000kms on the oil. Purolator Boss Filter

5 star tuned, 91 Performance Program

Fuel Dilution doesn't seem to be an issue and plenty of oil life left. I was thinking of changing the oil at 8kkms intervals but it looks like i can go further

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
How long has it been tuned? Could still be breaking-in / rinsing out the break-in metals. You'd need to do another UOA after a similar run to see if things are decreasing or if this amount of metal shedding is normal for your engine / driving style & conditions. Tough to judge based on one report.

Looks decent though. Plenty of TBN but I wouldn't run it longer since metal count will surely rise and be "highlighted" by Blackstone as being above "average". Your call...

That iron wear rate is a bit high. Really doubt if there is anything you can do about it. M1 0w40 is a great oil. You could try Castrol Edge 0w40 next time, it wouldn't be worse.
Not many people buy the Purolator Boss. Its not as good as the Fram Ultra, and costs more. The Ultra gets 99% at 20 microns, and the Boss is 99% at 32 microns, OK, but you pay more for a worse filter.

Thanks for you input. It's been tuned since 5000km on the vehicle. I dont drive it hard and 90% of the time very conservative using eco mode... mostly highway.

It's been on M1 0W40 since the tune

Engine is still very young (11k miles). Wear metals are entirely normal. I'd stick with M1 0W-40 and see how it trends.

I too see this engine as too young to judge for iron as it may still be breaking in a bit. You need more than just a single UOA to tell what's going on...

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
I too see this engine as too young to judge for iron as it may still be breaking in a bit. You need more than just a single UOA to tell what's going on...

Exactly. Check it at about 20K miles next.

Too late to edit^ The engine needs about 20K miles to be fully broken in, more or less. I'd do another OCI, skip the OUA and sample it after that.

I've found lower wear metals in just about everything, with M1, 5W-40 TDT. Including my 3.5EB.

Current fleet includes:

2018 2.7EB SuperCrew 4x4
2011 3.5EB SuperCrew
2009 5.4V8 SuperCrew 4x4 with 5 star tune

But I'm in Florida, where viscosity is king.

Last edited:
You know that chip tuning a brand new Ford if dealer finds it, risks voiding your Ford factory engine warranty right? GM already issued a TSB several years ago to look for and detect altered engine calibration during service visits and then they will record your VIN and blacklist you on warranty. And unlike most aftermarket parts the auto maker can claim recalibration stresses the entire engine and even the transmission. GM dealers are checking. I do not know if Ford made an official statement.

Ford can count flashes so even if you revert it to factory tuning they can still tell it was modded. You probably went in this with your eyes open. If its not the Ford Performance tune I believe it voids your warranty. Check around.

I would be worried about that more than the wear metals.

Originally Posted by wdn
You know that chip tuning a brand new Ford if dealer finds it, risks voiding your Ford factory engine warranty right? GM already issued a TSB several years ago to look for and detect altered engine calibration during service visits and then they will record your VIN and blacklist you on warranty. And unlike most aftermarket parts the auto maker can claim recalibration stresses the entire engine and even the transmission. GM dealers are checking. I do not know if Ford made an official statement.

Ford can count flashes so even if you revert it to factory tuning they can still tell it was modded. You probably went in this with your eyes open. If its not the Ford Performance tune I believe it voids your warranty. Check around.

I would be worried about that more than the wear metals.

Please keep it on topic, I'm fully aware. I have a great relationship with my service department and they know, as well have the aftermarket powertrain warranty through the tuner up to 100,000kms...

Keep it on topic

Originally Posted by Cujet
I've found lower wear metals in just about everything, with M1, 5W-40 TDT. Including my 3.5EB.

Current fleet includes:

2018 2.7EB SuperCrew 4x4
2011 3.5EB SuperCrew
2009 5.4V8 SuperCrew 4x4 with 5 star tune

But I'm in Florida, where viscosity is king.

That is interesting, I'm in Toronto however and need the low viscosity for occasional sub zero starts. Winter is just around the corner so I'm continuing with 0W40 M1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back