2018 F150 Tuned 3.5EB - SN+ PUP or QSUD 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2018 F150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5EB is tuned to 91 octane. Tuned from 5000kms.
38,000kms on it now with no issues.

I'm in Toronto (-10C winter to +30C humid summers)

I rarely drive it hard, a full throttle pass every other week for fun. I mostly drive as efficient as i can mostly in eco mode.

OCI - gets drained when it hits 40% (approx 8000kms)

I was using M1 FS 0W40 since tuned. Now because this oil is not SN+ im thinking QSUD or PUP 5W30 - often goes on sale at my local Crappy Tire.

Which one is better for my application? I want an all year around oil.......QSUD or PUP?

Thanks

Both would work well for 8k KM drain intervals. How cold does it get where you are?

Originally Posted by buster
Both would work well for 8k KM drain intervals. How cold does it get where you are?

I would say average -10C ..... it can occasionally dip down to -25 to -30C if there is a deep freeze .... my truck stays parked in an unheated garage

Currently using some Delo 10w-30 ck4/sn plus in a 2.0l Ecoboost no issues in winter.

In all actuality though I don't think it will matter much given your changing at 8000kms ~ 5000 miles.
I would run whatever I could get the cheapest at that interval.

Given you have a tune, but is that any more powerful than the 3.5 high output in the raptor?

Raptor motor still recommends the same 5w-30 and from the sounds of it you are pretty easy on the truck.

Is PUP 5w-30 currently an SN+ oil?

I never looked at the API rating at the last OCI, not that it matters for a Highlander.

As stated previously, either will work fine in your environment for 8,000 km OCIs.

OP
Since you mentioned you don't drive it hard but very rarely
What advantages are you seeing with a 91 octane tune ??

Originally Posted by PimTac
I don't think PUP is SN+.

yes it is... i see the labels as SN+ in my store

Originally Posted by kstanf150
OP

on stock tune... there is an obvious difference in drivability between 87 and 91.... my NGauge programmer shows timing pulled back on 87.

91 tune further refines the stock tune... especially the transmission shift points, no longer the forced upshifts at 1800rpms, now shifts around 2500rpms.... no more low engine lugging at 1100rpms, now lugs around 1600rpms..... this in all makes the truch feel much more livelier.... and to top it off, i get better fuel efficiency when driving easy... my best tank was 11L/100km in 50/50 city highway driving

Originally Posted by Buzzinhalfdozen
Currently using some Delo 10w-30 ck4/sn plus in a 2.0l Ecoboost no issues in winter.

In all actuality though I don't think it will matter much given your changing at 8000kms ~ 5000 miles.
I would run whatever I could get the cheapest at that interval.

Given you have a tune, but is that any more powerful than the 3.5 high output in the raptor?

Raptor motor still recommends the same 5w-30 and from the sounds of it you are pretty easy on the truck.

According to 5 star, the 91 tune im running outputs higher than the 3.5HO in the Raptor and Limited.... I logged a 0-60 time of 4.9s, sport mode, 4hi and Advance Trac off.... not bad for a Lariat Supercrew:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Thugzy
OP

on stock tune... there is an obvious difference in drivability between 87 and 91.... my NGauge programmer shows timing pulled back on 87.

91 tune further refines the stock tune... especially the transmission shift points, no longer the forced upshifts at 1800rpms, now shifts around 2500rpms.... no more low engine lugging at 1100rpms, now lugs around 1600rpms..... this in all makes the truch feel much more livelier.... and to top it off, i get better fuel efficiency when driving easy... my best tank was 11L/100km in 50/50 city highway driving

Thanks for the info
I too want to tune my truck
Just waiting for warranty to run out !!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Thanks for the info
I too want to tune my truck
Just waiting for warranty to run out !!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Im tuned and covered by Stage 3 Powertrain Warranty. If anything happens as a result of the tune im covered
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back