2018 F-150 not auto stopping thankfully.

Maybe I have a misunderstanding of the F150 BMS, but I think once a battery fails to meet acceptable performance the ASS is disabled until the BMS is reset. The BMS needs to be reset anytime a new battery is installed. The reason for the AGM battery is that it is capable of a long life and good amperage output at a low state of charge that modern charging strategy calls for.

Not sure how your later model truck is but on my '15 2.7 truck I was able to disable the ASS on my truck by unplugging the current sensor on the negative battery cable. Since the control system is now current blind, it charges to a voltage rather than a state of charge. As far as I can tell, there are no downsides to this. There are no warning lights.

It also takes less than 5 minutes to disable Auto SS if you have Forescan. I've done that to my Ranger. I wouldn't bother changing it back if I traded the truck in.

@ctechbob, did you disable it by squashing BMS? I think that’s how it’s done in forscan.

AS/S shuts down as mentioned above for any of those reasons. looking at forscan, the f150 does have charge strategies for both agm and flooded batteries. Folks don’t believe me, but my oem battery (h6) sloshed - it could not have been an agm. And the vehicle does have some sort of aging algorithm that adjusts charge strategy based on some kind of perceived age. When my last battery was getting older, it did indeed reduce S/S activity.

here’s the thing- most places don’t go in and do any kind of battery reset in the vehicle electronics, and I don’t think the vehicle is intelligent enough to figure it out by itself. Maybe it is - but I didn’t see it and clues or indicators for that in forscan.

possibly the battery is weak, possible it’s not and the vehicle thinks it is. It should try harder to charge it when it thinks it’s weak, and thats generally a good thing since it typically undercharges it under normal circumstances now. Before we get out our pitchforks, the undercharging is also peppered with a monthly recovery cycle for preservation strategies so it’s not all “dumb.” It’s pretty impressive, frankly… and it has real world mpg payoff. It’s just complicated….

m

@ctechbob, did you disable it by squashing BMS? I think that’s how it’s done in forscan.

AS/S shuts down as mentioned above for any of those reasons. looking at forscan, the f150 does have charge strategies for both agm and flooded batteries. Folks don’t believe me, but my oem battery (h6) sloshed - it could not have been an agm. And the vehicle does have some sort of aging algorithm that adjusts charge strategy based on some kind of perceived age. When my last battery was getting older, it did indeed reduce S/S activity.

here’s the thing- most places don’t go in and do any kind of battery reset in the vehicle electronics, and I don’t think the vehicle is intelligent enough to figure it out by itself. Maybe it is - but I didn’t see it and clues or indicators for that in forscan.

possibly the battery is weak, possible it’s not and the vehicle thinks it is. It should try harder to charge it when it thinks it’s weak, and thats generally a good thing since it typically undercharges it under normal circumstances now. Before we get out our pitchforks, the undercharging is also peppered with a monthly recovery cycle for preservation strategies so it’s not all “dumb.” It’s pretty impressive, frankly… and it has real world mpg payoff. It’s just complicated….

m
Yes, it is a setting in the BMS for mine:
1700538134064.jpg

It still shows the icon in the display when it thinks the engine should be off, but that's the only thing that is a little odd about turning it off in BMS.

1.) I do have a factory ford AGM battery. Measures 12.54v after sitting all night and it was cold like 34deg f when I checked it.
2.) The current sensor is still intact and plugged in.
3.) No codes or anything using forscan.
4.) It did work once or twice so it was not disabled by anyone.

And if ford plans to even give you a lifetime starter and ring gear warranty, id gladly accept start stop tech. But 5 years is too short of lifespan for a starter when all of my cars in my sig have their original OEM starter. My 99 and 00 have their originals.

Not to mention I watched a ZF automatic transmisson tear down where there is alot of extra circuitry and a hydralic accumulator to store a fluid charge for the next restart so there is no delay or fluid bleed. This seems like a ton of extra junk to break.

Also spoke with a local maint manager and around 5 years or so if the driver is not super quick and turns the key to the complete off position, you will be driving for hours down the highway in cold wet snowy weather, and when you exit to a ramp with a red light, the truck will turn off, and when it trys to start back up the bendix will be half frozen and half enguage, therefor grinding a dead spot in the ring gear. This requires about a $3000 repair bill in house, even more from the dealers. All to save maybe a few hundred bucks over the ownership of the vehicle. I would recognize a half enguaged bendix on a ring gear and frankly i dont know if i would be fast enough to catch it before damage occurs.

Last edited:
I thought the dealers could disable it if you wanted them too. They jimist use their scan tool.
Negative. Unless it is a factory authorized thing, we can't do a lot of things people think we can. Ford took out the tire size and rear gear ratio adjustments in the IDS because it violated EPA regulations.

Reactions: wtd
Back